Game #1 of CCT: Missouri State 11:30 AM (ESPNU)

Anyone catch the TV color man say he'd asked Miller yesterday if he'd lost any toughness along with the extra weight; Miller replying "No, still as tough as ever."

Advertisement
My main frustration with MIller is this. He's 7 feet tall. On the offensive end, he actually does play big; on the defensive end, though, he plays more like 6'5 (I revised that down from last week's 6'7 comment). Seriously, must drive Coach nuts when he asks Rodney, why the disparity? Is he disinterested at the defensive end, too weak from a strength standpoint?

Advertisement
Positives:

DJ had what could've been his best game as a Cane. He was simply unstoppable offensively.
Kam continues his stretch of good play. He's limited athletically, but he's turning into a good shooter and a crafty playmaker.
Wong showed some flashes
9/22 from 3 is solid
15/17 from the line
Forced 16 turnovers
Only 9 turnovers on our end (and that still felt like a lot for this team)
8 points and 8 rebounds for Rodney, which, on paper, is solid

Negatives:

-20 on the glass. An absolutely pathetic display of rebounding. It's been bad all year, but my god today was painful to watch from that perspective. How do you allow 20 of their 37 misses to be rebounded! That is effort! It's not like Mizzou State had a big size advantage or anything, either. Just simply ATROCIOUS
Lykes continue to struggle. Just 3/14 from the field
Sam. What more needs to be said
Walker's lack of minutes. What gives?
Gak's lack of anything. 11 minutes, no points no rebounds
Beverly did not have a great showing. Still think he's going to be our best player by March, though.

Rodney and Sam combined to play 60 minutes. They combined to score 8 points and grab 13 rebounds.

I'm curious how many of the points the two of them allowed? For Missouri State: West, Da Silva and Prim combined for 43 points and 27 rebounds.

I understand that you said the above in bold.

But, if you watched the game, how do you think he played? He played 31 minutes, how many points do you think he allowed?
He didn't play well defensively at all, and he didn't rebound well either despite having 8. He is turning into a decent offensive player, though. He has nice touch around the rim.

He's playing way too many minutes, but thanks to our baffling decision not to get a waiver for Brooks, we have no one else at the 5 spot.

What's even more baffling to me is why Sam continues to get so many minutes. He's even more unproductive than Miller. Same amount of minutes, no points and just 5 boards. He isn't doing anything well. Either give Walker and Gak more minutes at the 4, or slide McGusty to the 4 and play a 4 guard lineup. Sam getting 30 minutes a game is just coaching malpractice.

Advertisement
He didn't play well defensively at all, and he didn't rebound well either despite having 8. He is turning into a decent offensive player, though. He has nice touch around the rim.

He's playing way too many minutes, but thanks to our baffling decision not to get a waiver for Brooks, we have no one else at the 5 spot.

What's even more baffling to me is why Sam continues to get so many minutes. He's even more unproductive than Miller. Same amount of minutes, no points and just 5 boards. He isn't doing anything well. Either give Walker and Gak more minutes at the 4, or slide McGusty to the 4 and play a 4 guard lineup. Sam getting 30 minutes a game is just coaching malpractice.

I’m just curious, how many points do you think he allowed?

Positives:

DJ had what could've been his best game as a Cane. He was simply unstoppable offensively.
Kam continues his stretch of good play. He's limited athletically, but he's turning into a good shooter and a crafty playmaker.
I thought that too going into the season. The way he ran the floor and maneuvered inside today, I think I was wrong. Looks like a pretty good athlete to me.

Advertisement
If I had to guess, 18. Some of those had Sam or someone else nearby, so hard to say 100%.

If I had to guess, it was over 20. My point was his "offensive skills" are not worth the tremendous defensive liability and lack of rebounding. Almost anyone should be getting those minutes.

If I had to guess, it was over 20. My point was his "offensive skills" are not worth the tremendous defensive liability and lack of rebounding. Almost anyone should be getting those minutes.
Except we have no one else thanks to L's baffling decisions.

My bigger concern is Sam. He literally provides NOTHING.

Advertisement
Will watch the game on dvr later today.

Almost blowing an 18 point lead in the second half sounds concerning

Play Walker and/or Deng, they can’t be worse.
It's the only way this team is worth watching. If L doesn't go to this by mid season he is ******** up a ton of time for this team to gel for next year. Wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if he doesn't though.

Advertisement
Back