Gaby Urrutia Mock Class, 247

the last 3 heisman winning qbs were transfers. nothing else needs to be said...
First off, fvck the Heisman. Are we discussing winning programs or QBs who win hardware? The only type of "winning" before the word "QB" that matters are the words "national championship." I'm sure OU fans sit in their basement stroking off to thoughts of Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray's Heisman trophies, but out in the world where winning matters, they're actually further removed from a Natty than we are while Clem$on (and Trevor Lawrence) and Baga (and Tua) took the ship as OU was gushing over Heismans.

And speaking of Clem$on and Baga, both teams have signed at least one (sometimes two) QBs in each of their last 4 classes (2017-2020). Even the lowly dawgs have signed at least one HS QB each of the last 4 classes, and they just brought in 2 transfer QBs in one offseason! Too much $ec bias maybe? Alright, well, O$U has signed at least one QB in nearly each of the past 4 recruiting classes. The one year they didn't (2019) they brought in 3 transfer QBs (including Fields) and then made up for it by signing two QBs in the 2020 class. L$U also missed on a HS QB one year out of the last four (they also got two last year), with Joe Burrow being the one Heisman winner of the 3 you listed to actually win a Naty.

Even that OU team stroking off to their Heisman winning transfer QBs brought in at least one HS QB in each of the last 4 classes.

So for the most part (minus L$U), even in the transfer portal era, winning teams (regardless of how many transfer QBs they bring in) still sign a QB out of HS every class.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm a little surprised Vandagriff hasn't wavered. Not necessarily to us, but away from UGA who really make it look like they don't have confidence in him by taking two transfer QBs.
His Daddy is an old school Georgia boy, they love the Dawgs.

Maybe I misunderstood you, but was Bolden not an expected starter at USC? Phillips at UCLA?
My statement was in the context of the specific animal that is the college QB. That's why I emphasized (in bold) the part of the quote I was particularly responding to. Bolden's issues for leaving USC are well documented and have little to do with his talent (and more to do with an AD who did not have his back). Phillips and UCLA was a change of defensive system, which is also possible with a transfer QB (but still more likely to happen after he loses the starting job).

Last edited:
Some teams are so stacked at QB, their backup is better than most starters. I would have gladly taken Jalen Hurts or Justin Fields last season

You aren't wrong, but ask yourself how those teams get that stacked? (Hint: See Post # 61).
Then ask yourself, do I want to be the team picking off another team's (better than my QB) backup, or do I want to be the team where starter-quality P5 players bounce because the starter is a ******* rockstar?

Of course you want to be the team with more talent than you can handle but right now, we’re not there. At least at quarterback. If we had multiple 4 star quarterbacks interested in signing here, I’d say sign them both. But right now we don’t even have one 4 star quarterback interested so we need a contingency plan for the time being.
You aren't wrong, but ask yourself how those teams get that stacked? (Hint: See Post # 61).
Then ask yourself, do I want to be the team picking off another team's (better than my QB) backup, or do I want to be the team where starter-quality P5 players bounce because the starter is a ******* rockstar?

Advertisement
You can go to the portal worse case and shoot for the stars next class. That allows you to add another stud player. Or they can try and flip one. We will land another one. By the way, TVD is the goods.

Of course you want to be the team with more talent than you can handle but right now, we’re not there. At least at quarterback. If we had multiple 4 star quarterbacks interested in signing here, I’d say sign them both. But right now we don’t even have one 4 star quarterback interested so we need a contingency plan for the time being.

We agree more than we disagree, but I care a lot less about stars for QBs than I do pretty much any position (OL is close). IMO, there is no position on the field harder to project (at any level) than QB. Braylon Braxton is a 3* QB and I would take his commitment in a heartbeat.

Slovis was a 3* QB who took over USC as a TF and went 282-for-392, 3,502 yards, 32 TD, 9 INT. He did all that without the benefit of being the No. 1 guy leading up to the season, and he did it convincingly enough that JT Daniels (former 5* QB) transferred away.

Dillon Gabriel is another one. He was a 3* QB picked up by UCF and as a TF went 236-for-398, 3,653 yards, 29 TD, 7 INT. UCF had even brought in Wimbush as a transfer, but Gabriel took the job form him.

Even Arizona 3* Grant Gunnell had his moments last season in somewhat limited snaps as a backup in his TF season, giving some hope to the team for this season.

Hank Bachmeier was a low-ish 4* (outside the top 200) who played well in spots last year as a TF for Boise State, with a great game against F$U, before getting hurt midyear and losing his job.

Point is, they don't necessarily need to be top 200 QBs to really earn their scholarship. ****, look at our recent history at the position... Perry (top 200, 4*), Williams (top 125, 4*), Martell (top 75, 4*). One was a transfer, we recruited the other two out of HS, all of them were highly rated 4* QBs, and none of them panned out.

Bring me any QB (regardless of stars) who is tough, composed under pressure, has a decent understanding of offense, cares about football, works hard in the film room and weight room, has above average accuracy, at least average arm strength, and isn't a total statue in the backfield, and I am more than happy to find an IC for that kid.

Overall, I view HS QBs like scratch offs. Yeah, some have better odds for payouts. But either way, you can't win big if you don't buy in.

We agree more than we disagree, but I care a lot less about stars for QBs than I do pretty much any position (OL is close). IMO, there is no position on the field harder to project (at any level) than QB. Braylon Braxton is a 3* QB and I would take his commitment in a heartbeat.

Slovis was a 3* QB who took over USC as a TF and went 282-for-392, 3,502 yards, 32 TD, 9 INT. He did all that without the benefit of being the No. 1 guy leading up to the season, and he did it convincingly enough that JT Daniels (former 5* QB) transferred away.

Dillon Gabriel is another one. He was a 3* QB picked up by UCF and as a TF went 236-for-398, 3,653 yards, 29 TD, 7 INT. UCF had even brought in Wimbush as a transfer, but Gabriel took the job form him.

Even Arizona 3* Grant Gunnell had his moments last season in somewhat limited snaps as a backup in his TF season, giving some hope to the team for this season.

Hank Bachmeier was a low-ish 4* (outside the top 200) who played well in spots last year as a TF for Boise State, with a great game against F$U, before getting hurt midyear and losing his job.

Point is, they don't necessarily need to be top 200 QBs to really earn their scholarship. ****, look at our recent history at the position... Perry (top 200, 4*), Williams (top 125, 4*), Martell (top 75, 4*). One was a transfer, we recruited the other two out of HS, all of them were highly rated 4* QBs, and none of them panned out.

Bring me any QB (regardless of stars) who is tough, composed under pressure, has a decent understanding of offense, cares about football, works hard in the film room and weight room, has above average accuracy, at least average arm strength, and isn't a total statue in the backfield, and I am more than happy to find an IC for that kid.

Overall, I view HS QBs like scratch offs. Yeah, some have better odds for payouts. But either way, you can't win big if you don't buy in.
Your naming the rare exceptions. 99 percent of TF that are not 4 star will never even get real game snaps.
In a year when we have elite prospects that want in, not worth it to grab a QB just for the sake of having a QB in the class

Besides King we have no one we can depend on. It’s important that we get a QB from the portal next year. Hopefully we can get someone who can become a legit starter.

Advertisement
So last spot... some kid like a Matchoa (nothing against him)

CB Brown
Dline Sapp
WR Alexis

last spot who you taking out of those 4 and and rank how you would take them 1-4
Alexsis
sapp
brown.

I think Alexsis is one of the top 5 wr in the country. I think hes our Amari Cooper type that we need in this class.

Your naming the rare exceptions. 99 percent of TF that are not 4 star will never even get real game snaps.
In a year when we have elite prospects that want in, not worth it to grab a QB just for the sake of having a QB in the class

Rare exception? I named 3 TF 3* off the top of my head that had solid to excellent seasons in 2019 alone. And there were many more 3* QBs that got snaps last season. That 99% figure is a ridiculous exaggeration. And the truth is more and more QBs are playing early in college football.

As I sit here right now, I know Plumlee got a lot snaps last season (I didn't include him because he had just an OK season... good for a TF, but just OK). The TF QB (Conley?) from Louisville (not even in the top 1000) got a few starts and beat Wake Forest. Blaine Gabbert's little brother was a 3* QB getting starts last season. That's 6 3* TF QBs receiving meaningful snaps in 2019 alone, and I am sure there are others I just don't know about.

But again, the greater point is: (1) QB is the hardest position to evaluate; (2) star rating is overrated; (3) in the game of football, QB remains the most important position; so, (4) you take at least one every year.

I still don’t believe you take a flier on a plan B QB when you’ve got limited IC spots left and legit players fighting for it. If when the dust settles you’ve still got space and want to take flower, go for it but don’t tell a good lineman or DB we don’t have room to take a QB who’s probably bound for a G5 school. Especially with 5 QBs currently on the roster.

I still don’t believe you take a flier on a plan B QB when you’ve got limited IC spots left and legit players fighting for it. If when the dust settles you’ve still got space and want to take flower, go for it but don’t tell a good lineman or DB we don’t have room to take a QB who’s probably bound for a G5 school. Especially with 5 QBs currently on the roster.

I understand where you are coming from and these are difficult (but good) decisions. But it is interesting that the dude who just got named the starter was a 3* QB coming from a G5 school.... Evaluating and projecting QBs is hard work, man.

Advertisement
These star rankings are not always accurate. Patrick Mahomes, Russell Wilson, Lamar Jackson... none of them were big time prospects coming out of highschool.

Some areas arent that well scouted. If I am scouting a QB, I am looking at the mechanics first, then at his decision making. A QB´s decision making reflects his IQ on the field and his understanding of the game.

First off, fvck the Heisman. Are we discussing winning programs or QBs who win hardware? The only type of "winning" before the word "QB" that matters are the words "national championship." I'm sure OU fans sit in their basement stroking off to thoughts of Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray's Heisman trophies, but out in the world where winning matters, they're actually further removed from a Natty than we are while Clem$on (and Trevor Lawrence) and Baga (and Tua) took the ship as OU was gushing over Heismans.

And speaking of Clem$on and Baga, both teams have signed at least one (sometimes two) QBs in each of their last 4 classes (2017-2020). Even the lowly dawgs have signed at least one HS QB each of the last 4 classes, and they just brought in 2 transfer QBs in one offseason! Too much $ec bias maybe? Alright, well, O$U has signed at least one QB in nearly each of the past 4 recruiting classes. The one year they didn't (2019) they brought in 3 transfer QBs (including Fields) and then made up for it by signing two QBs in the 2020 class. L$U also missed on a HS QB one year out of the last four (they also got two last year), with Joe Burrow being the one Heisman winner of the 3 you listed to actually win a Naty.

Even that OU team stroking off to their Heisman winning transfer QBs brought in at least one HS QB in each of the last 4 classes.

So for the most part (minus L$U), even in the transfer portal era, winning teams (regardless of how many transfer QBs they bring in) still sign a QB out of HS every class.

You wouldn’t take Oklahoma’s past few years with their transfer QBs over ours?

Advertisement
You wouldn’t take Oklahoma’s past few years with their transfer QBs over ours?

Of course I'm taking Heisman QBs over what we have had here the last few years (not counting King), but that's really not the point. OU - the team posters commonly list to support the argument that you don't need to take a QB every season to be a successful program - has signed at least one QB out of HS each of the last 10 years. If anything, OU's situation is more support for taking a QB out of HS every year, because that is exactly what they do. Sure, they hit up the transfer market relentlessly, but they absolutely are not solely relying on transfers like some people are insinuating. They still go out and get at least one HS QB every single year.

Hey we might even be able to circle back around for Jake Garcia in the portal if things don't pan out at USC for him.
He’s honestly not worth all the effort. I know we need a QB every year but he’s not beating out TVD.
Rare exception? I named 3 TF 3* off the top of my head that had solid to excellent seasons in 2019 alone. And there were many more 3* QBs that got snaps last season. That 99% figure is a ridiculous exaggeration. And the truth is more and more QBs are playing early in college football.

As I sit here right now, I know Plumlee got a lot snaps last season (I didn't include him because he had just an OK season... good for a TF, but just OK). The TF QB (Conley?) from Louisville (not even in the top 1000) got a few starts and beat Wake Forest. Blaine Gabbert's little brother was a 3* QB getting starts last season. That's 6 3* TF QBs receiving meaningful snaps in 2019 alone, and I am sure there are others I just don't know about.

But again, the greater point is: (1) QB is the hardest position to evaluate; (2) star rating is overrated; (3) in the game of football, QB remains the most important position; so, (4) you take at least one every year.
its kinda like the south Florida 3 stars are beasts thing. 3 star qb’s in Texas are **** good and should be recruited as such

Last edited by a moderator:
These star rankings are not always accurate. Patrick Mahomes, Russell Wilson, Lamar Jackson... none of them were big time prospects coming out of highschool.

Some areas arent that well scouted. If I am scouting a QB, I am looking at the mechanics first, then at his decision making. A QB´s decision making reflects his IQ on the field and his understanding of the game.

Get a guy that fits your system and play to his strengths..

Advertisement
Back