Gaby Urrutia Mock Class, 247

But in your riddle me this, if that highly ranked freshman COMPETES and wins, wont ALL the QBs (inclusive of TVD) still transfer as they all would have been beaten by a younger guy? And obviously if it is a big name kid you bring him in. Never forego talent I think we agree on that.

My point was in your riddle me this you said if TVD wins, all the upperclassman will bail and transfer so we need a QB, my comment was if TVD locks it up even with a highly ranked freshman competing, that freshman still transfers as he wont sit behind TVD for 3 years so we are in the same spot.

Yep! Its a problem! Which is why we need more QBs. You have a good chance to lose all the older guys either way, but yeah, in this day and age, whoever comes in 2nd among young QB's is certainly a flight risk. Which takes us back to my note that in this day and age you kind of need more than 1 QB a year! Not saying 2 a year, but 2 every once in a while when your roster dictates it. But certainly you do not want to go a year without taking a QB. Especially the way our QB room is set up right now.

And even if one of the freshman QB's leave, at least you had a real competition which should yield you a better QB1, even if it's TVD that triumphs, because the comp will push him to be better.

Advertisement
So if it’s not a “top” QB you don’t take one this cycle?

do you not take anyone with that last slot and save it for a potential portal kid?

I’m asking to gauge just how much importance you put into this.... I’m all for having a top QB or one that’s very good but grabbing one just to grab one isn’t what I want when numbers are tight

I am not advocating for the taking of a warm body. You shouldn't sign kids who can't succeed here. I'd definitely take "very good" guy right now. As you know, you can have a top 5 team but if you don't have a QB, you have a problem.

If you can't get a very good guy, and your best option for your program is to take a 25th position player, you are digging a hole. Now that may be your best option because you just couldn't get a guy, but that's a failure. Now again, I am not pointing fingers as Lashlee just got here and that's not fair. But the program will be in a bit of a high-wire situation going forward. We will really need to hit a grand slam on a portal guy or a ready made freshman that wants to come in behind a young starter. And those are two difficult things to accomplish.

I don't think were really after any low upside guys.
Garcia and Milroe are obviously 1a and 1b options and if Braylon Braxton has another year this year like he did last year, I'd be all over offering him. The dude can ball.
The guys we're after are already committed to other teams. If we can flip one of those top tier guys, that's great. I just don't want them to sign a plan B type kid if they can't flip any of the plan A guys.

The guys we're after are already committed to other teams. If we can flip one of those top tier guys, that's great. I just don't want them to sign a plan B type kid if they can't flip any of the plan A guys.
Do you consider braxton a plan b?

Advertisement
Let's say they don't sign a QB for 2021. QB depth would be Van Dyke, Matocha, Perry and Martell. It's likely that one of Perry of Martell transfers but the only way both are transferring is if Van Dyke or Matocha is named the starter and they have no shot at playing time. Either way you have your starter locked in for 2021 with at least one veteran backup quarterback. If you're super desperate to bring in someone immediately, you can scour the grad transfer market but that means none of the four guys currently on the roster can be counted on. That's probably the worst case scenario. However, it might not be that bad, especially if King produces at a high level in the new offense. Otherwise you hit the transfer portal for a guy who can be eligible for 2022 and you try to sign a 2022 incoming freshman.

While I’d like to sign a QB we have to realize there’s always going to be quality guys on the transfer market. I don’t mean one year grad transfer options either. All these schools sign multiple QBs in one class can only play one of them. Somebody is going to end up on the bench and most likely the transfer portal.
This is especially true if King kills it this year.....we will become a spot to look at for transfers.

Do you consider braxton a plan b?
AS of right now, yeah. He's the kind of kid that could get totally screwed if there's no high school football this year. If he balled out as a senior, I could see our staff warming up to him but right this very second, he's not a priority.

AS of right now, yeah. He's the kind of kid that could get totally screwed if there's no high school football this year. If he balled out as a senior, I could see our staff warming up to him but right this very second, he's not a priority.
I agree with you, but im hoping we don't lose out on him waiting f4 garcia or milroe. Reminds me of the lamar jackson situation with golden instead they just didn't offer him at all.

Advertisement
Let's say they don't sign a QB for 2021. QB depth would be Van Dyke, Matocha, Perry and Martell. It's likely that one of Perry of Martell transfers but the only way both are transferring is if Van Dyke or Matocha is named the starter and they have no shot at playing time. Either way you have your starter locked in for 2021 with at least one veteran backup quarterback. If you're super desperate to bring in someone immediately, you can scour the grad transfer market but that means none of the four guys currently on the roster can be counted on. That's probably the worst case scenario. However, it might not be that bad, especially if King produces at a high level in the new offense. Otherwise you hit the transfer portal for a guy who can be eligible for 2022 and you try to sign a 2022 incoming freshman.
TVD should beat out Perry and Martell. Matter of fact, I’d be shocked if he doesn’t become the backup this season.

Perry and Martell sticking around is surprising but applaud them for loyalty and team first. Martell should switch to WR. Perry should transfer to have a chance at starting his senior year. Perhaps he can make the XFL or Canadian Football league 2022...

I hope y’all realize if we sign a stud 21 QB Ain’t no guarantee he will see the field. Perry is allegedly a lot more mature and disciplined to his craft. Matocha is a **** of an athlete and TVD is being groomed by D’Eriq.... I want someone signed yes but he ain’t the future until he earns it.

I'm a little surprised Vandagriff hasn't wavered. Not necessarily to us, but away from UGA who really make it look like they don't have confidence in him by taking two transfer QBs.

Maybe he's old school in that he's looking at that as a positive. He will get a year or two to settle in, hone his craft, and then it's full steam ahead. That's what most QB's should do.

Advertisement
I suspect guys like Garcia and Vandergriff will bolt but want to make sure next commit is last commit. Risk looking like flakes if they, for example, flip to my canes and then we implode. No hurry.

While I’d like to sign a QB we have to realize there’s always going to be quality guys on the transfer market. I don’t mean one year grad transfer options either. All these schools sign multiple QBs in one class can only play one of them. Somebody is going to end up on the bench and most likely the transfer portal.

Although I can appreciate this logic and generally agree with it, my problem with this is (outside of the GTs) if you're relying on the transfer portal you are only in the running for the guy who couldn't win the starting job (and now has less eligibility left to win it at UM).

Although I can appreciate this logic and generally agree with it, my problem with this is (outside of the GTs) if you're relying on the transfer portal you are only in the running for the guy who couldn't win the starting job (and now has less eligibility left to win it at UM).
Maybe I misunderstood you, but was Bolden not an expected starter at USC? Phillips at UCLA?

Advertisement
the last 3 heisman winning qbs were transfers. nothing else needs to be said...

I am not advocating for the taking of a warm body. You shouldn't sign kids who can't succeed here. I'd definitely take "very good" guy right now. As you know, you can have a top 5 team but if you don't have a QB, you have a problem.

If you can't get a very good guy, and your best option for your program is to take a 25th position player, you are digging a hole. Now that may be your best option because you just couldn't get a guy, but that's a failure. Now again, I am not pointing fingers as Lashlee just got here and that's not fair. But the program will be in a bit of a high-wire situation going forward. We will really need to hit a grand slam on a portal guy or a ready made freshman that wants to come in behind a young starter. And those are two difficult things to accomplish.
There will be misses in recruiting let’s be honest you just can’t have sure things in this recruiting game

if we miss you’ll trust that you have a guy already and start hammering home the next class stating the obvious that playing time is way favorable than even you would like to admit

I’m a believer in taking s QB every year and I don’t know if Miami has the luxury of not taking one this year.

With that said, if we can add another stud player that wants in then maybe don’t take one if it’s not a Jake Garcia type of QB.

Some teams are so stacked at QB, their backup is better than most starters. I would have gladly taken Jalen Hurts or Justin Fields last season

Advertisement
Back