Gaby on roster retention...

Sigh. Come on guys. We didn't lose much off the spring 2-deep. That doesn't mean the 2-deep is where it needs to be, it just means its what we have to work with right now. This roster is a long way from where we need it to be. Failed logic.

But yeah, not having players like TVD, Kitchens, Taylor, Kelly, James Williams, Bissainthe, Rivers, etc. cherry-picked is a major step in the right direction.

Please don't create some idiotic narrative this season about how we should expect to win 10 games because we didn't get raided while we are in the process of turning over the roster and re-building. I beg you.

Fair. I won’t recreate the 10 win narratives created here during the Manny era…

Kinchens is the only reliable player that returned.

Advertisement
Roster retention...better coordinators...a quiet off-season with the exception of TVD trying to run a QB sneak and backdoor it to Tuscaloozer...players not dropping like flies like last off-season...& Chaney looking like He's back to form, bodes well for an improved 2023 season.

Last edited:
Y'all are insufferable. We are not where we want or should be, but we are much better off than last year at this time.

Think of LB....Kiko Maiugoia is all ACC caliber, and Wesley has a year under his belt, plus Popo and others are coming in.

Francis M is a possible to likely first rounder, so is Okunlola. We havent had a center like Lee since Romberg. Cohen might be our best guard since Linder.
Look at our DE room, its actually Cane quality. TE has the potential to be Cane quality this year.

Its not 15-0, but its also not 5-7.
I do think we upgraded significantly on coaching and definitely the OL

A few breaks our way with the OL (health and Zion) and we could see an actual offense this season for sure

Advertisement
You could be right

I don’t want to mistake my post for a “mope” I would have to go back and check, there’s been so much movement I’ve checked out a bit

I’m with the point of we did hang on to a core group of players that we will be relying on but same time it doesn’t really jive with what we were told about needing to overhaul the roster

I could be wrong though
hahaah you are no mope my man. I believe if we actually look at the players that portaled out, easily over 50% were 2 deep players. Which they did need to go and they confirmed it by going in the portal.

Right i think it just shows this roster isn’t there yet clearly. We still lacking talent in major spots but i am excited about being better than last season. Hopefully we can be 8-4 /9-3. Year 3 it’s time to rally the boys we making noise in 2024 truss.
I'm a 10-2 guy year in year out so it's obvious I don't know ****. But last year it was we weren't talented and we lacked depth and now it's 'hey look we held onto the 2 deep.' I don't want to hear **** about the rooster staying intact after I heard it would look significantly different come fall. I'm not trying to get the offseason wood only to get blueballs come the season. Bring in difference makers and win games.

I agree and think this has been severely overlooked.

I think that it’s a big deal Miami’s two-deep stayed intact after the April transfer window… If you’re a contributor at a program, you had so much power during this spring transfer window. So the Hurricanes keeping the roster together over the last 14 days says a lot about the buy-in from players currently on the team. There were a few minor departures but nothing that would have Miami scrambling to replace a guy. Tyler Van Dyke nearly put Miami in a bad, bad spot but elected to stay and that’s a win for Miami. Thankfully, that situation was resolved quickly, and others stayed put to see the 2023 season through as Cristobal and his staff look to flip the script on what was a forgettable 2022 season. That is a win in and of itself that should be recognized.

Discuss. :)

mike myers snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

hahaah you are no mope my man. I believe if we actually look at the players that portaled out, easily over 50% were 2 deep players. Which they did need to go and they confirmed it by going in the portal.
I do also agree that purging and flipping the roster isn’t ideal either. Mario puts in work on the recruiting trail so this will take a couple of years

A solid showing this season and the portal will be easier

It wasn’t just that we had a bad record it was the regression and futility we showed on the field

But anyway, you know all this stuff haha

Advertisement
Y'all are insufferable. We are not where we want or should be, but we are much better off than last year at this time.

Think of LB....Kiko Maiugoia is all ACC caliber, and Wesley has a year under his belt, plus Popo and others are coming in.

Francis M is a possible to likely first rounder, so is Okunlola. We havent had a center like Lee since Romberg. Cohen might be our best guard since Linder.
Look at our DE room, its actually Cane quality. TE has the potential to be Cane quality this year.

Its not 15-0, but its also not 5-7.
+1 for Kiko Mauigoa

I'm a 10-2 guy year in year out so it's obvious I don't know ****. But last year it was we weren't talented and we lacked depth and now it's 'hey look we held onto the 2 deep.' I don't want to hear **** about the rooster staying intact after I heard it would look significantly different come fall. I'm not trying to get the offseason wood only to get blueballs come the season. Bring in difference makers and win games.

To be fair, prior to Spring camp, we had massive turnover. Since Mario was announced as HC on 12/6/2021:

1/7/2022 Silvera
2/14/2022 Larry Hodges
4/13/2022 Austin-Cave
4/29/2022 Worsham, Troutman,Cameron Williams
8/20/2022 Marcus Clarke
Only 7 kids transferred out prior to Season 1

11/16/2022 Frierson
12/1 2022 Blades
12/5/2022 Avantae Williams, Dunson, Jalen Harrell, KeyShawn Smith, Thad Franklin, Elijah Roberts, Keshawn Washington, Alan Haye
12/6/2022 Jordan Miller
12/7/2022 Darrell Jackson, Knighton
12/8/2022 Brinson
12/13/2022 Khamauri Rogers
12/16/2022 John Campbell
12/20/2022 Avery Huff
01/17/2023 Jake Garcia, Jakai Clark
However, 19 kids transferred out after Season 1 and before Spring Camp

Since
04/15/2023 Kahlil Brantley
04/19/2023 Ishmael
Only 2 kids transferred out during/after camp prior to portal shutting down again

^^ I was just as surprised as many in this thread. I agree with OP that this is a good thing. Mario has mostly weeded out the dead weight and kids who weren't bought in to the culture he requires.

But after discussing it in a separate thread on here, I now expect another small wave after the semester ends or even over the summer, as kids graduate and are able to transfer as GTs, or they just end their football careers even if they have eligibility left, and pursue something else after graduation. Then there's always at least a couple of kids who realize during Fall camp that they're already behind true or redshirted freshmen in the depth chart and decide to play elsewhere. No one is sweating the 85 scholarships cap.

Advertisement
My expectations are tempered by the reality that we didn’t get where we are today in a year or 2 and it’ll take more than a year or 2 to get where we all want to be.

I think coaches were surprised there wasn’t more departures and that’s why the portal hasn’t been quite as busy. I still think we add more guys though.
Off the top of your head, do you know how many spots are left?

Advertisement
I agree and think this has been severely overlooked.

I think that it’s a big deal Miami’s two-deep stayed intact after the April transfer window… If you’re a contributor at a program, you had so much power during this spring transfer window. So the Hurricanes keeping the roster together over the last 14 days says a lot about the buy-in from players currently on the team. There were a few minor departures but nothing that would have Miami scrambling to replace a guy. Tyler Van Dyke nearly put Miami in a bad, bad spot but elected to stay and that’s a win for Miami. Thankfully, that situation was resolved quickly, and others stayed put to see the 2023 season through as Cristobal and his staff look to flip the script on what was a forgettable 2022 season. That is a win in and of itself that should be recognized.

Discuss. :)

mike myers snl GIF by Saturday Night Live
I said this last weekend - as much of our activity behind the scenes is keeping our own team intact as opposed to bringing in additional talent. And it will have to be that way every year.

To be fair, prior to Spring camp, we had massive turnover. Since Mario was announced as HC on 12/6/2021:

1/7/2022 Silvera
2/14/2022 Larry Hodges
4/13/2022 Austin-Cave
4/29/2022 Worsham, Troutman,Cameron Williams
8/20/2022 Marcus Clarke
Only 7 kids transferred out prior to Season 1

11/16/2022 Frierson
12/1 2022 Blades
12/5/2022 Avantae Williams, Dunson, Jalen Harrell, KeyShawn Smith, Thad Franklin, Elijah Roberts, Keshawn Washington, Alan Haye
12/6/2022 Jordan Miller
12/7/2022 Darrell Jackson, Knighton
12/8/2022 Brinson
12/13/2022 Khamauri Rogers
12/16/2022 John Campbell
12/20/2022 Avery Huff
01/17/2023 Jake Garcia, Jakai Clark
However, 19 kids transferred out after Season 1 and before Spring Camp

Since
04/15/2023 Kahlil Brantley
04/19/2023 Ishmael
Only 2 kids transferred out during/after camp prior to portal shutting down again

Thomas Davis

Advertisement
Back