Gaby on roster retention...

Cryptical Envelopment

What a long strange trip it's been
Banned
I agree and think this has been severely overlooked.

I think that it’s a big deal Miami’s two-deep stayed intact after the April transfer window… If you’re a contributor at a program, you had so much power during this spring transfer window. So the Hurricanes keeping the roster together over the last 14 days says a lot about the buy-in from players currently on the team. There were a few minor departures but nothing that would have Miami scrambling to replace a guy. Tyler Van Dyke nearly put Miami in a bad, bad spot but elected to stay and that’s a win for Miami. Thankfully, that situation was resolved quickly, and others stayed put to see the 2023 season through as Cristobal and his staff look to flip the script on what was a forgettable 2022 season. That is a win in and of itself that should be recognized.

Discuss. :)

mike myers snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Advertisement
I talked about this the other day and it was akin to what the basketball team did last season. I think Miami was one of less than 10 out of the 350+ D1 teams that didn't have a single transfer. After the Elite 8 run, nobody left. I think that was incredibly important for the cohesion of last year's team....we did nothing but add ballers, nobody here was ****ed and left. They all bought in and accepted the new kids.

Not exactly apples to apples, of course, because the 2022 football season was a botched back-alley abortion, and the 2022 basketball run was the best in history. But I think there is correlation here. Well, I'm hoping so.

He's spot on. Coaches won't get credit for keeping their current guys but they should and glad it was acknowledged by Gaby. We will see if any of our transfers are difference makers, my guess is a couple will be (Roberts, Key Smith, etc.) and we will look back like **** it but this is how it goes in college football.

Advertisement
This is important. After a 5 win season it's easy to **** on the staff at every turn but when I saw no JHH or Leonard shenanigans I took that as a huge positive. So we can only get better from here. I'm glad there's no situations getting worse.

Advertisement

I think that it’s a big deal Miami’s two-deep stayed intact after the April transfer window… If you’re a contributor at a program, you had so much power during this spring transfer window. So the Hurricanes keeping the roster together over the last 14 days says a lot about the buy-in from players currently on the team. There were a few minor departures but nothing that would have Miami scrambling to replace a guy. Tyler Van Dyke nearly put Miami in a bad, bad spot but elected to stay and that’s a win for Miami. Thankfully, that situation was resolved quickly, and others stayed put to see the 2023 season through as Cristobal and his staff look to flip the script on what was a forgettable 2022 season. That is a win in and of itself that should be recognized.

It's another offseason championship.

It sounds good on paper but it's not a "win" until that "win" translates into ACTUAL wins on the field.

Advertisement
It's another offseason championship.

It sounds good on paper but it's not a "win" until that "win" translates into ACTUAL wins on the field.
I agree with you but still worthy of discussion though.

IF (big if) we find a way to have a solid season (9 wins+...I consider 8 wins just meh) then we likely bump this thread to credit Mario and staff for retaining players that were obviously a big part of the turnaround.

He's not wrong

I agree with you but still worthy of discussion though.

IF (big if) we find a way to have a solid season (9 wins+...I consider 8 wins just meh) then we likely bump this thread to credit Mario and staff for retaining players that were obviously a big part of the turnaround.
I agree with you, but I'm not going to get into our record for this year. Not going to put my self through it (until I probably cave by late August like I usually do you 🤪)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back