Gaby’s mock class

That's not an ideal scenario. We were all hoping that LB would be addressed in the Portal this year with several bodies, and the only guy we got is Caleb Johnson.

You NEED to stack bodies at all positions to build championship depth. The program is simply not in a position to "leave positions vacant in recruiting classes" at this stage. 3-4 years down the line? Sure. But right now, we need size, depth, and complete, well-rounded classes to establish the foundation.
I'm sure we'll have 2-3 LBs in the 2023 class. By vacant I didn't mean the entire postion group. If Mario wants 3 LBs, maybe he gets 2 and so on. He's just not going to reach for kids and if you bring in too many in the same class, you'll lose some of them a year later.

Advertisement
I'm sure we'll have 2-3 LBs in the 2023 class. By vacant I didn't mean the entire postion group. If Mario wants 3 LBs, maybe he gets 2 and so on. He's just not going to reach for kids and if you bring in too many in the same class, you'll lose some of them a year later.

While I understand your point, you don't worry about kids leaving later and fail to address a MAJOR position of need.

Last year's class had one LB -- Bissainthe. While I think he's going to be a really good player, we're not leaving ourselves in a great position if he's not.

The year before that, we only took 2, and one of them got kicked off the team this offseason (Troutman).

The year before that, again we only took 2, and one is already gone (TAC) and the other is a backup player (Flagg) who will be forced to play starter's minutes because of how shallow we are at the position.

We need to take at least four LBs this year. The talent and depth at that position is absolutely barren.

Anything with Braxton or was him decommitting from Sparty during his visit down here just a coincidence?

While I'd love the class, we need more bodies for interior DL and LB than what Gaby has listed. I'd be disappointed if that's all we get, even though the EDGE class would be absurd.

We're missing size up the middle. Only adding Bain in the interior would be a big miss, IMO.

agree. But to be fair this is only HS signing class prediction.

Have to figure Mario goes and gets at least 3-4 transfers.

Love everything about the class except the LB class would be VERY concerning. Bryant could step in and start right away but man we are playing with fire if we only get 2 with Washington being a project.

And not getting Hykeem Williams would just suck even though that is an elite WR class.
Portal DT and Backers but I’m taking more then 24 kids considering they waved the limit this year! I’m taking as many quality kids as I can! Although 24 kids then the portal works also. Consider that Collins A could easily play DT once he eats and lifts in college. Kids 255 right now no way he won’t play in the high 280s or more

Advertisement
While I understand your point, you don't worry about kids leaving later and fail to address a MAJOR position of need.

Last year's class had one LB -- Bissainthe. While I think he's going to be a really good player, we're not leaving ourselves in a great position if he's not.

The year before that, we only took 2, and one of them got kicked off the team this offseason (Troutman).

The year before that, again we only took 2, and one is already gone (TAC) and the other is a backup player (Flagg) who will be forced to play starter's minutes because of how shallow we are at the position.

We need to take at least four LBs this year. The talent and depth at that position is absolutely barren.
I agree we need to get the LB numbers up. However, the staff isn't going to take a bunch of guys that don't evaluate to their fit just to fill body counts. Otherwise, you wind up exactly where we are. You get 3-4 LBs all transferring out in the same year and you got little to no productivity out of them while they were on the team.

It's quality over quantity. The numbers will increase over time. You're forgetting about the strikers who are LBs in the new scheme. We have 8 scholarship LBs on the roster and 10 total. That doesn't even include Caleb Johnson who'll bring the number to 11 when he enrolls. Maybe 14-16 is ideal, but we're not that far off. We'll lose 3 next year, so 4-5 should be the goal. It would be ideal to have 3 from high school and 2 from the transfer portal. I think the recruiting will really take off in 2024. So, we hopefully make up a few that we are currently short.

Looking around at Bama, Clemson, and UGA, they have a varied number of LBs on the roster. No idea how man of them are scholarship LBs.
Alabama: 3-4 scheme - 18 LBs
Clemson: 4-3 and hybrid 3-3-5 scheme - 16 LBs
Georgia: 4-3 and hybrid 3-3-5 scheme - 10 LBs

An interesting article from SBNation shows 12-16 LBs as ideal on the roster depending on the scheme.

Last edited:
Bain is a tweener right now but he's likely going to end up inside. He's 6'2" 250 and he hasn't even started his senior year yet. He's about the same size as Leonard Taylor at the same point.

I'd still like to pair him with another big guy just to be safe.
I disagree. His skills as displayed are better suited for DE. You can't think every accomplished tweener will balloon into a decent DT. Keep the kid where he earned his offers.

Zero concerns about the gap at linebacker, DT and IOL This staff knows what it’s doing and they’re not going to have the holes. If we get the mock class plus the additional guys we need to round it out, it will be more than adequate to win the ACC in 3 years provided we just keep stacking talent.

QB: Jaden/Emory
RB: Chris Johnson
WR: Joseph/Washington/Brown/Jean
TE: Williams/Carver/Mikeska
OL: Mauigoa/Tinilau/Kinsler/Tripp/Okunlola
Edge: Acheampong/Wayne/M'Pemba
DL: Bain
LB: Washington/Bryant
CB: Stafford/Brown
S: Bonsu/Hussey
There is no way in **** that Mario settles for 1DT

Advertisement

Why do people worry about problems that might arise but don’t address the problems that are there? It’s madness. You are 100% right, we need LBs bad.

Yeah, Wilt's Dong dropped his crystal balls to LSU for Howard. No worries.

On Monday, we had 6 kids announcing in the next week:

Ray Ray Joseph -- Committed CANE
Jaxon Howard 7/1 -- CB to LSU from the Dong
Archeampong 7/1 -- CBs all to Michigan but the Canes trending very hard
Riley Williams 7/1 -- CBs from multiple folks all to the good guys
Francis Mauigoa 7/4 -- No CBs but tending heavily to them boys
Daron Reed 7/4 -- Most likely not coming. [Dong's balls are on LSU, but the recent balls are on the ****eyes]

If we get 4 out of these 6 kids we are absolutely ******'. 1 in the boat. Let's get 2 more Friday.

I usually don’t do this, but that Daron Reed update is hella pause worthy. Got ****! Lol

But, if we can snag Mauioga from the whispers of the SEC, pull in Riley, and Archeampong, that’s a really good start to begin The Summer. I’m like everyone else, that’s a **** list, but we must get some DTs & LBs to balance & round out the class.

Advertisement
Back