Gabriel Terry

I like this kids size and speed. Moreso he is a fast-twitch guys. He seems to be relentless when the ball snaps. We need 11 guys on defense like him. One thing I've been keeping in mind with all these commits is the use for them on special teams. So many of these kids will be used to fly down the field early in the season. If they showout like Clements their roles will be increased. Why are we so quick to judge Golden's choices for his players? Let's wait and see fellas. If it was up to my predictions, Streeter, Jacory, Feliciano, Wieclaw all wouldn't have been impact players this year. I know #70 wasn't GOAT but he contributed, so don't kill my post for adding him to the list. As a matter of fact Feliciano had the hardest hit of the year on special teams this season. Let Golden put his players into his system.

Advertisement
D$- you follow recruiting a lot more than I do, do you think he can contribute at SAM? The highlight film looks good, not that I would expect anything less from something produced by his coach or family.

He says we're recruiting him as a SAM.

D$- you follow recruiting a lot more than I do, do you think he can contribute at SAM? The highlight film looks good, not that I would expect anything less from something produced by his coach or family.

He says we're recruiting him as a SAM.

Tough to say. It's a projection based on what we (as fans) have seen. He doesn't play much linebacker on those clips. No idea if he can turn and run or read and react. He does look like a thick, high-motor player with some burst.

Gabriel Terry was sitting inside his home Wednesday afternoon helping his buddy Mike Maldanado, a teammate at Palm Beach Central, make a highlight tape on his computer when his world turned upside down.

The phone rang. It was his head coach, Rod Harris. Harris had just gotten off the phone with Miami defensive line coach Jethro Franklin. The Miami Hurricanes wanted him to come down for an official visit.

That very minute.

"They actually wanted me to come down on Friday," said Terry, a 6-3, 210-pound linebacker/defensive end. "But I have a visit scheduled this weekend to Connecticut. So Coach Dennis (Abbate) offered to give me a ride down there today."

Minutes later Terry was on his way down I-95, a journey that would end with an improbable commitment to become a Miami Hurricane.

"I had only been in Miami once in my life and had never been to the University of Miami," Terry said. "I got down to campus, I met the coaches and some of the players. They gave me a short tour of the weight room and practice field. I talked to coach Barrow and then to Coach Golden. They said they wanted to see me come down there and play some SAM LB. I always wanted to be a Cane growing up in South Florida so it was an easy decision to commit."

A day earlier, Coach Al Golden had talked about the fact that as a recruiter he is not a "catalog shopper." Golden even joked that he might take a kid who has no stars in the rankings if he felt that kid could be developed into a player.

Wednesday Golden did just that.

Terry is totally under the radar due to unusual circumstances that had him first showing up at Palm Beach Central in August.FIU was his only offer until Wednesday.

He and his mom moved to Omaha, Nebraska just before he began high school and he attended Boys Town High School there. Terry played football, wrestled and ran track but it was a small, low profile school known more for helping families in need than for athletics. For example, even though Terry only weighed around 200 pounds, he was a defensive tackle on the football team. There are only 330 students at the school.

"We moved to Nebraska for a change of scenery," Terry said. "I needed to focus on school and make myself a better athlete."

Terry moved back to Palm Beach just before school started this year and enrolled at Palm Beach Central.

"I had a pretty good season, made a lot of good plays," Terry said. "I'm a lot under the radar since I wasn't here."

Under the radar is an understatement. Terry doesn't even have a star ranking yet from Rivals.

"I'm pretty relentless to the ball. I'm very competitive," he said. "I hustle hard every play and I have a strong will to win. I am a student of the game, take a lot of notes. I am very dedicated, a hard worker. I love the game. It is every kids dream to play football. You play on Friday so you can play on Saturday and then play on Sunday to provide a better life for your family. Hopefully one day that will be me."

Terry said he will still visit Connecticut this weekend, but that his commitment to Miami is probably firm.

"It just seemed like a good fit," he said. "It seemed so surreal. I've always been a Hurricane a heart and Coach Golden told me that he was trying to get the program back to playing for national championships again. He told me they will develop me as a player and work hard to see that I have success. Hard work is not a problem for me.

"If someone had told me this morning that I would be a Miami Hurricane tonight, I don't know what I woul; have thought. It's amazing. I'm pretty fired up."

Advertisement
another Armbrister, Alexis, King, and Wells. Dead weight by year 1. Guy is basically a poor man's Carl Walker: a tweener who looks athletic with no real position.

Wasted 'ship.

The kid is a senior in high school, who knows how he turns out? Maybe the kid will be a hard worker, weight room/film room junkie and turns out to be a player for us.

Golden pretty much said this would happen. Pretty sure he said he was gonna take one unranked kid because of how much he believed in him. We'll see though, I watched that video again and saw a lot of good things.

One? We've taken ten unranked kids who nobody believed in.

Advertisement
This is one of my favorite times of the year, reading message board experts rate the recruits. There's nothing more entertaining to me than a snap judgment.

Fun stuff, because not one really knows how a kid will transition up to the college game. Even the best evaluators miss.

Terry looks pretty good to me, from the little bit of film I saw....quick, explodes by his man, nose for the ball, which are the prerequisites for the college game.

I'll defer to the coaches' evaluation and am looking forward to seeing how GT does in a Cane uniform.

This is one of my favorite times of the year, reading message board experts rate the recruits. There's nothing more entertaining to me than a snap judgment.

Fun stuff, because not one really knows how a kid will transition up to the college game. Even the best evaluators miss.

Terry looks pretty good to me, from the little bit of film I saw....quick, explodes by his man, nose for the ball, which are the prerequisites for the college game.

I'll defer to the coaches' evaluation and am looking forward to seeing how GT does in a Cane uniform.

Its nice to defer to the coaches, but what if you are deferring to a bunch like Randy Shannon and friends?

Him being an early entry is the only reason he's coming here. He looks talented, has the frame to put on weight, at the worst he'll be a good special teams player, and those are always needed. He will most likely never be a star here, but he could develop into a solid player. Stop *****ing about whether he deserves a 'ship or not and just enjoy the process of him developing as a player.

Advertisement
Comments from his coach. Between him an Northrup, we have two OLBs who wrestle and run sub 4.6:

Wellington (FL) Palm Beach Central High School coach Rod Harris says he wasn't surprised that Miami decided to offer standout LB Gabriel Terry, who landed the offer and committed to UM yesterday.

What did surprise Terry: How quickly UM wanted to get Terry on campus.

"I had the conversation with (Miami) coaches at 1:30 about getting him down there; by 3:30 he was on campus," said Harris.

A Palm Beach Central assistant coach volunteered to drive Terry to UM, and Terry committed while on campus.

He's going ahead with a previously planned visit to Connecticut this weekend.

"He's going to go; they bought him a ticket," Harris said.

And Harris says he thinks Terry will star at UM.

"He is an outstanding football player," Harris said. "He has prototype size for an outside linebacker at 6-3, 205, and he runs a 4.5. He's relentless on the field, has a high motor. The kid does not stop going after people on the football field.

"Coach (Art) Kehoe came to our game against Boca and he was very impressed. Once we got out his YouTube video two weeks ago I figured he'd get offers. Miami did a great job aggressively recruiting him when they saw what they liked on video. More schools were also going to be coming in."

Terry has offers from FIU, Middle Tennessee and Connecticut per Harris.

This season Terry put up 56 tackles with six sacks, three forced fumbles and an interception.

He became a standout after transferring into the school from Nebraska (he grew up in Weston and played Pop Warner in Wellington).

"I did not have a clue when he got here how good he was," Harris said. "The first day of pads I knew we had a special one on the field. He was relentless, went after people. His pursuit is second to no one. He's an All-State wrester (who finished ranked No. 2 in 190 pounds in Nebraska at the state championship last year), is great with his hands. The kid loves to compete.

"His mom moved out to Nebraska with him (before his freshman year), and he just showed up a week before football started and right off the bat passed the eyeball test. Kids were telling me he's one of the best athletes they ever saw."

Terry is already qualified with a 3.0 GPA and 20 ACT score.

* Fellow commit and teammate Angelo Jean-Louis is still working to qualify.

"We're working on a lot of things grade-wise with him," Harris said. "We're hopeful, will know at the end of this semester."

the board would be boring and worthless if everyone simply said "rah rah" every time we pulled in a recruit. there were plenty of complaints about randy's recruiting, and much of it turned out to be accurate.

Jeez. This is a pitiful group of keyboard talent evaluators.

If you guys knew diddly **** about the matter, you'd be somewhere else - not on a fan site.

On THIS team, we've had some highly rated recruits who didn't do squat. In the past, some Hurricanes who weren't on the spotlight became superstars.

I THINK Golden and crew are looking for decent players with an attitude and work ethic.

Be surprised how far that will take you.

Let me be clear here: There are plenty of talent evaluators within the college football internet recruitnik/online evaluation community that are quite knowledgable. So feel free to save your unnecessary cheap shot for (1) someone who deserves it and (2) someone who's interesting in hearing it. Thats not here.

Its interesting that you use star rating (ie: the failure of highly rated recruits at UM) to disprove the work of the online evaluation community. Yet, in the 12 years that online recruiting evaluation market has existed, the process for evaluating recruits has improved greatly. Look at the number of 5 star kids who make it to the NFL. Its becoming more and more apparent that the online evaluation community knows what they are doing.

Advertisement
I'm obviously no expert in breaking down tape, but I thought he showed promise.

Looked like he had nice burst off the line. If he can bulk up and maintain his speed, I could see him being a contributor. At that very least, he'll help us replenish our LB numbers, and contribute on special teams.

I agree. I really liked how he gets out of his 3 point stance. He definitely seemed to play with good leverage as well.

another Armbrister, Alexis, King, and Wells. Dead weight by year 1. Guy is basically a poor man's Carl Walker: a tweener who looks athletic with no real position.

Wasted 'ship.

Uh, they like Armbrister a lot. He would have played THIS year but he got hurt.

Golden pretty much said this would happen. Pretty sure he said he was gonna take one unranked kid because of how much he believed in him. We'll see though, I watched that video again and saw a lot of good things.

One? We've taken ten unranked kids who nobody believed in.

Actually, if internet rankings matter to you, out of our entire giant class, only 2 guys aren't ranked as a 3-star or better by the genius brigade as Rivals.com. And they have just yet to be ranked according to them.

One is Southward, who was also offered by Ohio State and Mississippi.

The other is Terry, who only showed up in Florida this August after playing DT at 200 lbs for a tiny family needs school in Nebraska.

Terry is totally under the radar due to unusual circumstances that had him first showing up at Palm Beach Central in August.FIU was his only offer until Wednesday. He and his mom moved to Omaha, Nebraska just before he began high school and he attended Boys Town High School there. Terry played football, wrestled and ran track but it was a small, low profile school known more for helping families in need than for athletics. For example, even though Terry only weighed around 200 pounds, he was a defensive tackle on the football team. There are only 330 students at the school.

Advertisement
Back