FWIW, from someone who knows things

Yeah, but theoretically, do you think we would take four portals? Even if we got exactly the guys we wanted? Isn’t that risky considering we don’t know what the NCAA is going to do about counters?

No, I wasn't saying that we would take a DE AND take all those other guys, I was just saying that if we do NOT take a DE in the portal, we may still have a hole on defense. Obviously, if the DEs play up to potential, we might be fine, I'm just not sure that we know that yet.

I probably didn't 'splain myself well enough. People complain about my long posts, then when I keep it to 2 words, I should have used more.

Advertisement
I wonder if Justin Flowe could be an option,last I heard he got injured and was running 3rd string.Not sure he would be ready to be who we need now and also with his brother there he may not want to leave.

For the record, I was (half) joking around with Cribby on the LB possibilities, but the names that we have SOME interest in (some stronger than others) all have a lot of vowels, like the Flowe brothers, Crouch/To'o To'o, and the USC kid (and/or anyone with a Pacific Islander name). I think the USC kid generated a little bit of interest a while ago, but he is the oldest and would represent the least amount of available eligibility, and I've heard that if UM burns some more 2022 ICs, they don't just want 1-year rentals, if possible.

I wonder if Justin Flowe could be an option,last I heard he got injured and was running 3rd string.Not sure he would be ready to be who we need now and also with his brother there he may not want to leave.
YASSSS MOAR JUSTIN FLOWE THREADS

No, I wasn't saying that we would take a DE AND take all those other guys, I was just saying that if we do NOT take a DE in the portal, we may still have a hole on defense. Obviously, if the DEs play up to potential, we might be fine, I'm just not sure that we know that yet.

I probably didn't 'splain myself well enough. People complain about my long posts, then when I keep it to 2 words, I should have used more.

OK, but the theoretical question still remains, do you think it’s feasible or smart to take 4 with the risk of not knowing what the NCAA is doing with counters. I mean, personally I think it’s too much of a risk, but it’s not my game, it’s not my sweet spot business, so I don’t know if I’m a good judge of it or not. Just asking what you think. Of course, it’s assuming you can get exactly the guys you want.

Just a “what if” question.

Advertisement
1)Wow. A whole bunch of nothing

biggest laugh was diaz saying(acknowledging) how bad the LBs were yet not getting one in the portal when a proven stud like the Tenn LB is there... lmfao I call BS
Spots filled quickly & IIRC, he wasnt in the portal at that time. He entered the portal after spots were filled.

I also believe either Manny said it or I read it on one of these boards, the plan was to see what we had on the roster 1st, before going after guys.

Also believe Manny has been taking to Henry for awhile now.

OK, but the theoretical question still remains, do you think it’s feasible or smart to take 4 with the risk of not knowing what the NCAA is doing with counters. I mean, personally I think it’s too much of a risk, but it’s not my game, it’s not my sweet spot business, so I don’t know if I’m a good judge of it or not. Just asking what you think. Of course, it’s assuming you can get exactly the guys you want.

Just a “what if” question.

Yeah, you're right, it's a valid question.

I had discussed this on another thread when Cribby said that Manny was willing to take "as many as" five from next year's class of 25 ICs. At first, I thought that number was a bit high, but given that the 2022 class is widely perceived to be "weak" in SoFla (some great individual players, but not a stacked class at all positions), I could understand shifting some ICs.

Manny needs to win now, and I think he recognizes that too.

But, yeah, it's not so great for the long-term, although it gets to your immediate needs (guys who can play NOW) and doesn't fill your bench with some guys who might not play much for multiple years.

Honestly, I think this is one of the toughest questions for coaches (not just UM coaches) to answer right now.

Yeah, you're right, it's a valid question.

I had discussed this on another thread when Cribby said that Manny was willing to take "as many as" five from next year's class of 25 ICs. At first, I thought that number was a bit high, but given that the 2022 class is widely perceived to be "weak" in SoFla (some great individual players, but not a stacked class at all positions), I could understand shifting some ICs.

Manny needs to win now, and I think he recognizes that too.

But, yeah, it's not so great for the long-term, although it gets to your immediate needs (guys who can play NOW) and doesn't fill your bench with some guys who might not play much for multiple years.

Honestly, I think this is one of the toughest questions for coaches (not just UM coaches) to answer right now.

Precisely. But I think what makes it extra tough, is the fact that there is no clarity from Emmert/NCAA on what they’re going to do about counters or even transfers and scholarships and players and numbers and even the NIL issue in general.

Have you ever in your life dealt with an organization that was so incompetent? They cannot make decisions or even come up with cogent policy.

Precisely. But I think what makes it extra tough, is the fact that there is no clarity from Emmert/NCAA on what they’re going to do about counters or even transfers and scholarships and players and numbers and even the NIL issue in general.

Have you ever in your life dealt with an organization that was so incompetent? They cannot make decisions or even come up with cogent policy.

I completely agree.

I would also point out one (sliver of a) silver lining, and that is...FOR THE SHORT TERM (next few months)...if all of these transfers can't really make a "decision" for the next few months...that will give us all a good picture of EVERYONE who is available, and we'll have less "chain-reaction" type decisions. If we have 1,000 kids to pick from, and we pick 3 or 4 of the best, and we don't miss out on 3 or 4 who enter the Portal AFTER we give out our scholarships, then we might have a good/controlled scenario for a month or two.

But, yeah, the problem needs to be fixed permanently.

And I would LOVE to take 4 or more who do NOT count against 2022.

Advertisement
For a true frosh Garcia looks ahead of his time. The OL as we all know is the key. It’s reported we have depth now. Let’s see how the coaching goes and how they utilize it. From what we saw in the spring game anything short of the coastal would be another disappointing year. This team definitely has the talent to win.

I completely agree.

I would also point out one (sliver of a) silver lining, and that is...FOR THE SHORT TERM (next few months)...if all of these transfers can't really make a "decision" for the next few months...that will give us all a good picture of EVERYONE who is available, and we'll have less "chain-reaction" type decisions. If we have 1,000 kids to pick from, and we pick 3 or 4 of the best, and we don't miss out on 3 or 4 who enter the Portal AFTER we give out our scholarships, then we might have a good/controlled scenario for a month or two.

But, yeah, the problem needs to be fixed permanently.

And I would LOVE to take 4 or more who do NOT count against 2022.

What I like about Manny is he's constantly working the problem. We had such a laissez-faire attitude for the past 20 years, since Butch. I suppose Golden and Coley worked hard, too. But they were all over the map. There's much more structure and rigor to how Miami is handling the counters.

I'm not sure I see 4-5 portal needs, tbh.
* MLB for sure.
* WLB depends on Keontra and his backups. If Keontra is as good as I think he is at Will, and we can find someone among Steed, Huff and maybe Brooks, then we don't need a portal kid there.
* TE depends upon Mallory's health and S&C, and Arroyo. Maybe need a kid there.
* DE depends upon Harvey, D Johnson, Chantz, and Cameron.

So 3, maybe 4. After that, it's all about opportunity. If the kid is an OL/DT/CB at the level of a King, Bolden, Phillips, Roche, Stevenson, Rambo, sure. Otherwise, we have a lot of guys at those positions,. Unless, of course, we expect multiple defections of our own at any given spot.

Advertisement
Spots filled quickly & IIRC, he wasnt in the portal at that time. He entered the portal after spots were filled.

I also believe either Manny said it or I read it on one of these boards, the plan was to see what we had on the roster 1st, before going after guys.

Also believe Manny has been taking to Henry for awhile now.
It doesn’t matter if “spots filled” diaz has been saying for the longest time he planned on counting forward (losing 22) spots if the right guys were needed

What I like about Manny is he's constantly working the problem. We had such a laissez-faire attitude for the past 20 years, since Butch. I suppose Golden and Coley worked hard, too. But they were all over the map. There's much more structure and rigor to how Miami is handling the counters.

I'm not sure I see 4-5 portal needs, tbh.
* MLB for sure.
* WLB depends on Keontra and his backups. If Keontra is as good as I think he is at Will, and we can find someone among Steed, Huff and maybe Brooks, then we don't need a portal kid there.
* TE depends upon Mallory's health and S&C, and Arroyo. Maybe need a kid there.
* DE depends upon Harvey, D Johnson, Chantz, and Cameron.

So 3, maybe 4. After that, it's all about opportunity. If the kid is an OL/DT/CB at the level of a King, Bolden, Phillips, Roche, Stevenson, Rambo, sure. Otherwise, we have a lot of guys at those positions,. Unless, of course, we expect multiple defections of our own at any given spot.
Isn't Hodges' status a huge factor at TE? To me, whether he's on our roster for August should determine whether or not we hit the portal for a TE.

Isn't Hodges' status a huge factor at TE? To me, whether he's on our roster for August should determine whether or not we hit the portal for a TE.

Agree. I was just speculating that if both Mallory and Arroyo are meeting expectations come August, we may be willing to risk having those two plus Mammarelli and Brantley. We've run with fewer in the past. But it's not ideal, especially when your #1 is always injured.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back