FSU offense doesn't have a playbook

Advertisement
This isn’t new. Briles is doing what he’s always done.

The only good thing Willie has done since he was hired is bring this dude in. He’s as good as it gets. ****** for them though, they still don’t have a good enough OL to be very good. They’ll be a lot better on offense, but not nearly good enough to make noise nationally. 8-9 wins is probably their ceiling. And if they lose that Boise game, wow. Willie might not make it back to Tallahaseee from Jax.

Y'all go ahead and doubt Briles. I doubt everything about that team EXCEPT Briles. That family knows what the f*ck they're doing when it comes to offense. I was VERY concerned entering 2019 with Briles at FSU...that is until Right retired and Manny hired Enos. Now we f*ckin'.
He might be a great football mind, but FSU doesn't recruit even half way decent football minds. They play some of the dumbest football I have ever seen. I don't think this will end well for Briles.

Briles is so scared of our defense he won't create a paper trail leading back to him. Smart move, plausible deniability.

I think Whipple may have implemented something similar with Radio. There were just hand signals for 70 pass attempts on 2nd AND 3rd down. 1st down too if Radio effed up managing the clock on the previous series.

Advertisement
How is this different from UM last year? Did we need a playbook for a total of four plays?

I still don't understand what Richt was squinting at on that long laminated colored sheet before every play.

Yeah but 3 of those 4 plays were running plays into a loaded box.

The FSU offense should not be taken lightly. Just remember they hung 27 on us in 3 qtrs w/ an incompetent OC. Briles is a great OC. However, his fast break offense have cons. The biggest con is that if the QB doesn’t have the IQ to read, it has glitches. The 2nd con is that it gassed the defense.

FSU might be in some track meet games. His O has produced 0 championships, and he’s used to going against non-existent defenses in The Air Raid Big 12 and AAC, but it might be more difficult to go against more stingy/disciplined defenses like ours, VT (normally), Pitt, BC, and UVA

It's the same Uptemo Spread they ran at Baylor & Houston.

They don't need to huddle because every play is a predetermined check based on the look of the Defense.

The OC is doing all the heavy lifting, as opposed to having the QB make the call, they wait until the Defense lines up depending what look they get the QB will look to the sideline & then check into the plays they were going to run.

When you see those big signs with a bunch of random pictures on the sideline, those are the signals for the which play to call & which audible to check into or out of.

The play call is solely based on the alignment of the Defense & the personnel. It's how the no huddle Offenses are so effective in moving the ball quickly because they don't have to substitute as often, they can go 100mph & run multiple plays out of the same look, while also having variations of different sequences to go with tempo.

Exactly!

Advertisement
A friend who is a HS OC explained this to me. It is like a motion offense in hoops. The players take their regular positions and they thave a predetermined response for whatever their defender does. So for example, if a WR to the wide side of the field sees press man he will always try to break press and run vertical. This requires the QB to read the defense the same as the other players. Seems odd to repeat moves whether it is 3rd and two or 3rd and twenty....

Their offense is a little different than ours. Their passing game will be more vertical. Blackman has the stronger arm that's why I think he already has the job locked up.

That and outside of Wiscy's backup QB transferring to FSU, Blackman's the only scholarship QB on the roster.

The no-playbook thing is irrelevant.

However, their OL (particularly their interior line) will have to block.

It’s FSU so they’ll always have guys, but they haven’t recruited particularly well at WR.

Also, Blackman is a string bean and a subpar runner.

Without the threat of running QB powers, that offense loses a key threat component.

Look at the beating Dungey took at Syracuse.

Baylor had an entire season wiped out due to QB injuries from running the football.

Even if Blackman were a good runner (which he isn’t), they don’t have the depth to run him a lot.

That lessens the numbers advantage in the box.

They’re still dangerous and it won’t be a walk in the park, but wide splits and tempo don’t magically make an offense unstoppable.

You still need players to execute.

Also, I think the offense could be hindered by Willie’s overall crappiness.

Aren’t they working with one fewer position coach because they hired Dugans and weren’t allowed to move that previous coach down to a QC role?

That type of lack of attention to detail and sharpness still exists, even if Briles knows what he’s doing.

During the blowout loss to UiF, the announcers were absolutely savage in their critique of Willie.

They said it was one of the most poorly coached, undisciplined teams they’d ever seen.

Briles can’t make all of that go away.

I think we extended the streak to 3.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Is their’s any better?

Well, Blackman has at least played and won games.

Kosi has really only played about 20 minutes of good football, and Tate has only played mop-up duty for another program.

I think by the time that game rolls around, we’ll probably be favored.

It’s late in the year this season and I think FSU is ripe for an implosion.

But for now, it’s logical for them to be favored.

Why would any recruit ever go there? You think not having a playbook is gonna get you ready for the NFL?

How many players has kendall briles put in the league?

Wasn't Willie's offense a spread, no huddle, check the sideline offense too? I admittedly didn't catch many Oregon games but at USF his offense was a clone of Briles' offense at Houston and FAU.

Advertisement
Back