FSU Game Concerns

NashCane

Recruit
If this FSU team I've watched play this year was the same team with different uniforms I likely wouldn't be any more concerned about this game than I would with Duke, Virginia, or maybe even Toledo. Nonetheless, I won't shake the nerves until I see a win with my own eyes. I was still enjoying my 20's last time we won, now 8 years later I'm married with kids and we haven't won in their lifetime. ****'s weird. So I re-watched the Wake Forest game last night and came away with the only way I see us blowing this:

1) Our run game gets shut down and we have to resort to short passes, which leads to tipped passes and interceptions, or bad Rosier overthrow
2) They bust a few big plays with the screen on our over aggressive D. Screens are about the only thing they know how to do on offense that's a consistent concern.
3) 1 on 1 deep ball to Auden Tate. Blackman resorts to putting up 50-50 balls.

That's it. If they win it's because they get a few huge screen plays where Akers busts loose and Auden Tate catches one or more jump balls on our shorter secondary. Those are the only things they do with any confidence on offense. I imagine Diaz must be all over these two things, but that's the only way I can imagine them scoring enough points to beat us.

Anyone else got other actual gameplan concerns?

Advertisement
We have to get the running game going. Outside of the long run that was criminally called back last year we had nothing going.

We have to get the running game going. Outside of the long run that was criminally called back last year we had nothing going.

We won't be able to run on them early with our RB's. Rosier is gonna have to account for the bulk of our rushing yds before half time. Walton and Homer gotta be utilized in the screen game.

Delaney better be up for the Tate challenge, and if he isn't early then get Jackson or Dean on him.

Advertisement
We need to jump on them early and take the lead. Their confidence is way down right now and if we get the lead early they may never get it back.

No east and west runs. Go straight at them behind the right side of the OL. Homer should be a major factor.

No east and west runs. Go straight at them behind the right side of the OL. Homer should be a major factor.

I don't trust our o-line enough to be able to do this. The biggest thing to get our offense and run game going will be some up tempo screens, scrambles, then boom let walton and homer do their thing. Tempo will be key for our offense to keep them on their heels. Us having to run screens scares me as well, Rosier has a tendency to overthrow in the middle of the field.

Advertisement
I'll rebuttal your concerns with why we'll win.

-Their OL is key to their team. They need to do their job in pass protection because Blackman (QB) is taking an extra second or so more than a veteran during his reads. I predict he'll be an okay player with time, but the kid is just not used to the pace of the game yet. That puts pressure on their OL, which by the way has been terrible, even worse than ours in the first half of last year. Our front seven will punish them worse than NC State did.

-Because of their terrible OL, they haven't been able to open up creases in the run game, which is without their security blanket of Dalvin Cuck. Jacques Patrick is slow and big and Cam Akers is a true freshman making true freshman mistakes. Non-existent run game and the happy surprise of the effectiveness of our nickel package last game will help in shutting down potential plays from Tate and Murray.

-Their defensive line is great, no need to deny that, but we have playmakers on the receiving corps that can move well in space and embarass guys like Ermon Lane. Also their linebackers are average at best. Berrios and Herndon will eat on saturday.

-having Walton and Rosier's legs forces them to respect our run. Rosier isn't a wuss like Kayak, even if Burns gets around mcdoormat on a play or two, Malik can air it out in time/run away instead of eating a sack.

-Their special teams have been some of the worst in the country, and in a rivalry game that makes all the difference (see last year)

I got us winning 31-13.

With the way our defense plays and how much we hit the QB i dont see Blackman making it to the end of the game. Our D-line is too good and their O-line is bad.

Last edited:
With the way our defense plays and how much we hit the QB i dont see Blackman making it too the end of the game. Our D-line is too good and their O-line is bad.

I felt that way about frenchie last year, but he proved himself to be one tough SOB. Hopefully we can get it this year

With the way our defense plays and how much we hit the QB i dont see Blackman making it too the end of the game. Our D-line is too good and their O-line is bad.

I felt that way about frenchie last year, but he proved himself to be one tough SOB. Hopefully we can get it this year

I think people make a little too much out of him getting hurt easy due to his size. Dorsey was a rail as a freshman, and freshman year Lamar Jackson wasn't much bigger either, they were both ok. I also saw Wake pile-drive Blackman on a few plays Saturday and he kept coming back. Unless he obtains an actual injury, like a seperated throwing shoulder, I'm not counting on him being knocked out of the game.

Advertisement

Agreed Frenchie is tough but he has about 50lbs on Blackman. Seriously injuring Blackman isn't likely but Joe Jack or Norton or Chad giving him a bad concussion when they got 80-100+ lbs on him is very possible

Advertisement
1. We haven't run consistently on FSU since the Pink Erickson era. Rick will have to figure out a way to scheme up an effective run game. By effective, I mean consistent 4 yard gains so we don't get behind the chains. The odds of us gashing them for huge yards consistently in the run game are slim and none.

If we stay basic and try the same stuff we tried against Puke, FSU will squash our offense. Puke ate our run game up, and FSU is better than they are.

2. Find a way to not let Naadi and Christmas destroy our offense. Nothing kills an offense like getting crushed in the middle.

3. Generate consistent pressure with as few pass rushers as possible. And don't take dumb penalties once you get to the QB. Those roughing penalties are like turnovers most of the time.

4. Limit coverage disasters where guys are running free and don't give up giant gash runs in the run game.

I'll rebuttal your concerns with why we'll win.

-Their OL is key to their team. They need to do their job in pass protection because Blackman (QB) is taking an extra second or so more than a veteran during his reads. I predict he'll be an okay player with time, but the kid is just not used to the pace of the game yet. That puts pressure on their OL, which by the way has been terrible, even worse than ours in the first half of last year. Our front seven will punish them worse than NC State did.

-Because of their terrible OL, they haven't been able to open up creases in the run game, which is without their security blanket of Dalvin Cuck. Jacques Patrick is slow and big and Cam Akers is a true freshman making true freshman mistakes. Non-existent run game and the happy surprise of the effectiveness of our nickel package last game will help in shutting down potential plays from Tate and Murray.

-Their defensive line is great, no need to deny that, but we have playmakers on the receiving corps that can move well in space and embarass guys like Ermon Lane. Also their linebackers are average at best. Berrios and Herndon will eat on saturday.

-having Walton and Rosier's legs forces them to respect our run. Rosier isn't a wuss like Kayak, even if Burns gets around mcdoormat on a play or two, Malik can air it out in time/run away instead of eating a sack.

-Their special teams have been some of the worst in the country, and in a rivalry game that makes all the difference (see last year)

I got us winning 31-13.

I hope you're right and I'm optimistic we will win. But it is a rivalry game and we should expect them to play their best game of the year against us. If hope we elevate our game against them like I expect them to do against us.

Agreed Frenchie is tough but he has about 50lbs on Blackman. Seriously injuring Blackman isn't likely but Joe Jack or Norton or Chad giving him a bad concussion when they got 80-100+ lbs on him is very possible

Blackman isn't frail. He's taken some big hits and bounced back up. What he was, however, in the latter stages of the NCSU game was gunshy. He started turning his body after absorbing hits from Chubb for a couple quarters. As he started turning and flinching he lost zip and accuracy. If we can put hits on him like NCSU did that will bode well for us.

Advertisement
Back