FSU at MIAMI 1/22 2PM ESPN

Either Wong shoots his shot, or he finds an open guy. That's what you want out of that possession.
According to JZC, you must have never played basketball, if it even crossed your mind that we had the opportunity to hit an open guy.

People can die on the hill that Wong needs to take the shot there — that’s fine. But don’t call anyone else stupid for suggesting he also could have dished it for a wide-open look.

Advertisement
According to JZC, you must have never played basketball, if it even crossed your mind that we had the opportunity to hit an open guy.

People can die on the hill that Wong needs to take the shot there — that’s fine. But don’t call anyone else stupid for suggesting he could have dished it for a wide-open look.
Again, we didn't need 3 in that situation. I don't recall seeing anyone that was in a position for a higher percentage shot on the final play but I'll kindly eat crow if there was.

Rule of thumb on last shots. Never shoot a fade-away. They are low percentage shots with even less of a chance to get a whistle.

(This obviously doesn’t count for the NBA greats)

Unsurprisingly, we got beat soundly on the glass. Only 7 Offensive rebounds. Walker, you'd think, should play more but ... who knows what L sees out of him in practice.
Walker played early, he was AWFUL. Miami doesn't have size, and that's the one thing FSU has. They have NBA level size, which is a rarity in college basketball today. I'm not shocked they outrebounded Miami, that was **** near a certainty coming into the game.

Again, we didn't need 3 in that situation. I don't recall seeing anyone that was in a position for a higher percentage shot on the final play but I'll kindly eat crow if there was.
Sam was open in a spot he's comfortable in. That would have been a big show of confidence from Wong, but he probably just wanted to take the shot, he didn't trust anyone else. A guy with Lebron's personality probably hits Sam and takes his chances, Wong is more of the "I'm going to do it myself" type and you live and die with it. It was a good look, that if he takes 10 of those shots, he hits 4-6 of them.

Advertisement

Ok here it is. Wong has a step on his defender. The secondary defender shades over to prevent him turning the corner. I don't see a scenario in which Wong is able to get to the rim if he stays on his right hand. The third defender then slides out of the corner and contests late but Wong already has stepped back to shoot so it doesn't fully affect the shot. The shot clock turnover ended up being a free timeout for FSU because they were able to set their defense.

Aside from kicking it back to Waardenburg for a 3 at the top of the key, I don't see any other options to drive and kick. IF ANYTHING Wong could have crossed over once his man started trailing and either let his defender's momentum run into him (foul) or he gets a cleaner look around the free throw line. Really good defense by FSU on the final possession.

Needing a shot, and finding a guy who can shoot, who is open is another. Sam hitting from 3, without a soul around him has similar make probabilities at that point compared to Wong shooting a fadeaway jumper over a couple of guys, with people hacking at his arms. At that point, it's about the guy with the ball and what he wants to do.

Needing a shot, and finding a guy who can shoot, who is open is another. Sam hitting from 3, without a soul around him has similar make probabilities at that point compared to Wong shooting a fadeaway jumper over a couple of guys, with people hacking at his arms. At that point, it's about the guy with the ball and what he wants to do.
My question is, does Wong even see that he's popped out once he started his drive? That's also a fairly difficult pass to make from that spot on the court unless he immediately recognizes that Sam faded to the top of the key.

Advertisement

Ok here it is. Wong has a step on his defender. The secondary defender shades over to prevent him turning the corner. I don't see a scenario in which Wong is able to get to the rim if he stays on his right hand. The third defender then slides out of the corner and contests late but Wong already has stepped back to shoot so it doesn't fully affect the shot. The shot clock turnover ended up being a free timeout for FSU because they were able to set their defense.

Aside from kicking it back to Waardenburg for a 3 at the top of the key, I don't see any other options to drive and kick. IF ANYTHING Wong could have crossed over once his man started trailing and either let his defender's momentum run into him (foul) or he gets a cleaner look around the free throw line. Really good defense by FSU on the final possession.

Ham knows defense

Moore and Sam were both equally wide open, with the same guy in no-man's land trying to guard both. Sam was closer. But Moore was wide open and could have driven in perhaps. Sam wouldve needed to launch a 3. Not an easy choice for Wong, and certainly can't pin the loss on him by any means.

I’ll trust Wong, like you mentioned. He carried us in that second half and earned the right to take that shot. I don’t have to agree with his choice, but I’ll respect it.

That’s my final read on the situation. I’m more frustrated that we just lost to that morally bankrupt university AGAIN, and I probably took my anger out on L and Wong. The end result just really sucks ***.

Besides the rough start, that 4 offensive rebound possession was the difference in the game
Yep. I believe it was Charlie who missed a bunny and then they killed over a minute and a half of clock and scored two. That killed out momentum and gave them just enough to stabilize themselves. They were in a free fall before that.

Advertisement
Team bounced back big after losing to FSU in Tallahassee. They're going to have to do it again. VT is really bad, but road games in the ACC are never easy.

Team bounced back big after losing to FSU in Tallahassee. They're going to have to do it again. VT is really bad, but road games in the ACC are never easy
I’ll be looking to see how we bounce back. We’ll be prone to coming out flat, but a win is all that matters. I don’t care how we look in the process.

Advertisement
Sometimes you have a rough half, it happens, even to elite teams. The difference is that this team had the mental toughness to get back in this game, and be in position to win late. That's all you can ask for.
There are differences in “rough halfs”…some are due to great effort but poor shooting percentages…the first half for the Canes was poor in both areas.

Team bounced back big after losing to FSU in Tallahassee. They're going to have to do it again. VT is really bad, but road games in the ACC are never easy.
They just lost to BC today. BC... After that embarrassment, they’ll come out at home ready to light the world on fire. We will need to be ready.

Watching that replay 10 times (because I love pain) no one was really looking for a pass. Wong was taking that shot no matter what.
It was extremely painful this loss in last possession to lose to fsu once again, but at least Miami came all way back and showed much resilience and fight to come back from 26 down.

Miami can still finish rest of season strong. We need to beat vatech, BC, ND, pitt, etc.

Advertisement
Back