From the Perch: FSU

View as article
How much freedom does Perry actually have when he has the opportunity to either hand the ball off or read the de and pull it? On some plays I see Perry has room but doesn’t necessarily pull it. Is that because richt has said that’s a give all the way like he did with Jarren on the goaline when he was supposed to give it to burns or what?

Advertisement
How much freedom does Perry actually have when he has the opportunity to either hand the ball off or read the de and pull it? On some plays I see Perry has room but doesn’t necessarily pull it. Is that because richt has said that’s a give all the way like he did with Jarren on the goaline when he was supposed to give it to burns or what?

Mentioned after the LSU game richt felt the quarterback potentially ran too much. Deejay could have been the hot hand.

And I get the fact you have two really good running backs in the stable but i'll always default personally to taking what the defense gives you.

So your assessment is probably right with understanding that we don't fully know the play call. But one thing is for sure, the qb hasn't run as much by design since LSU

roman, thanks as always for all of your great insights. the time and dedication are appreciated.

although this thread focuses on the offensive, there was one play on defense that has not been focused on enough, in my opinion. it was the play of the game! it is Pinckney's deflection of Francois' throw over the middle with 11 minutes to go. FSU's #6 the TE would have likely scored and the momentum would have shifted. it was huge. as they say, the game usually comes down to a few plays. this is certainly one of them.

pinckney deflection.PNG

roman, thanks as always for all of your great insights. the time and dedication are appreciated.

although this thread focuses on the offensive, there was one play on defense that has not been focused on enough, in my opinion. it was the play of the game! it is Pinckney's deflection of Francois' throw over the middle with 11 minutes to go. FSU's #6 the TE would have likely scored and the momentum would have shifted. it was huge. as they say, the game usually comes down to a few plays. this is certainly one of them.

View attachment 65980

Oh I saw this live and literally said "wow." You are 100% right. That was a TD. I think miami was super aggressive second half with good reason. But miami was extremely fortunate that Francois didn't put touch on this pass.

Question for Roman
How the **** does Mahoney grade out high enough to rate being a team captain,? You analyze the films as well as anyone here. I admit I have not rewatched the game again. Just that my eyetest during the game tells me only one OL during the game was worse than him and that was Jones.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Question for Roman
How the **** does Mahoney grade out high enough to rate being a team captain,? You analyze the films as well as anyone here. I admit I have not rewatched the game again. Just that my eyetest during the game tells me only one OL during the game was worse than him and that was Jones.
Not to speak for @Roman Marciante The Great, but I’d just like to offer up what I see as the most obvious explanation: penalties. We’ve gone from the bottom 10% in that category to the top 10% in just two and a half seasons under Richt.

Lots of folks like to say what good is it to play guys who know how to play but can’t?

Well, as is the usual case, most folks are wrong and have it completely *** backwards. You have to know first how to play before you can play well. You don’t line up correctly? 5 yard penalty. You can’t remember the snap count or can’t stay in your stance until the ball is snapped? 5 yard penalty.

Nobody, no matter how physically gifted, can perform well in a play that never happens or is negated because of a penalty.

Question for Roman

I have had a discussion about this with the greater lance Roffers. I don't have a solid answer for you. I do know the team has some modifiers in terms of grading.

For example they use an adjusted completion % to include drops, pressures etc and not an actual competition % for qb's.

I will say that the inSight grade has been a little less along the offensive line than what I've seen posted by the coaches. The football focus grades too for that matter.

Not to speak for @Roman Marciante The Great, but I’d just like to offer up what I see as the most obvious explanation: penalties. We’ve gone from the bottom 10% in that category to the top 10% in just two and a half seasons under Richt.

Lots of folks like to say what good is it to play guys who know how to play but can’t?

Well, as is the usual case, most folks are wrong and have it completely *** backwards. You have to know first how to play before you can play well. You don’t line up correctly? 5 yard penalty. You can’t remember the snap count or can’t stay in your stance until the ball is snapped? 5 yard penalty.

Nobody, no matter how physically gifted, can perform well in a play that never happens or is negated because of a penalty.

I agree with your premise. You can be more physically gifted yet still be a mental liability.

I disagree with calling me great. Im good ish with an occasional "what the **** did he just say?"

I agree with your premise. You can be more physically gifted yet still be a mental liability.

I disagree with calling me great. Im good ish with an occasional "what the **** did he just say?"
Listen here! You'll take my compliment and like it, or I'll be forced to spend my money elsewhere.

Advertisement
Just got to point this out again but this throw is absolutely ridiculous....

Advertisement
Back