From the Perch: FSU

Advertisement
Great stuff as usual. Thanks. Mark does need to realize that Rosier was an excellent inside runner but Perry is not. Perry wheels should be limited more to ad hoc plays where he decides to run to open field. He is not that much of a threat. I'm not complaining. All our NCs came with QBs who could not really run. Perry should be focused on being mobile in the pocket or perhaps resetting it.

Great insights, as always. Do you know what Perry's first vs. second-half numbers were? He played clutch, for sure, but I am trying to get a sense of his accuracy in the second half.

Advertisement
You know. I see him come to the line and signal. But it rarely seems like he is changing the play or have I heard it mentioned in the pressers following the game yet. He typically will come up and address the defensive strengths. He has been praised by teammates in terms of calling out blitzes. But I agree moving forward Perry needs to take on more responsibility and check out of a potential bad play.
As always, thanks @Roman Marciante! In your opinion, do you think Richt limits Perry's opportunity to change plays due to his relative inexperience? There's been much debate about Richt's play calling - and rightly so to some extent. Between Rosier's limited capabilities and Perry's inexperience, has the play calling been limited/adjusted based on those factors?

That TD throw to Jordan was a thing of beauty! I saw him staring at the safety from the snap and then rotated and threw that dart to Jordan with great touch and accuracy. On TV, they showed a replay from behind center and affirmed what I saw.

You know. I see him come to the line and signal. But it rarely seems like he is changing the play or have I heard it mentioned in the pressers following the game yet. He typically will come up and address the defensive strengths. He has been praised by teammates in terms of calling out blitzes. But I agree moving forward Perry needs to take on more responsibility and check out of a potential bad play.
THIS^^^ Perry needed to change the plays in some obviously run blitzes yesterday...

Advertisement
@Roman Marciante great stuff as usual, but even better than usual, as expected for the importance of the game.

Hopefully, we can get past UVA this week and take advantage of this bye week coming up to do just what you suggest with some self-scouting and adding some new wrinkles and concepts to the offense. I’ve thought for a while (almost three years basically) that we don’t seem to be aware enough of our own tendencies, and we should zig when the whole stadium expects us to zag a bit more often.

You talked briefly about the OLine rotation but I don’t think you said specifically what you would suggest. It’s obvious some experimentation has been necessary as the line is simply not performing up to standard, so you can’t really blame the coaches for some rotation, but do you have a strong feeling at this point for what they should do to solidify this group? Personally, I’m not sure we have an “answer” at this point, but after watching this game, I’m more inclined than ever to think we need to put Scaife at LT, move St Louis back to RT, Donaldson to RG, and Boulware at LG. And keep those guys on the field together unless there is an injury or fatigue.

Please say specifically what creative running plays he could call that would overcome the OL deficiencies. It would be very helpful if you could diagram these plays and then pass them along to Richt and Thomas Brown. Looking forward to seeing you detail these plays.

watch the lsu florida game highlights and the plays they ran

if he just put those plays alone in the playbook...

watch the lsu florida game highlights and the plays they ran

if he just put those plays alone in the playbook...

What specific plays are you talking about? I don’t sit around watching the gaytor like some cuck.

What specific plays are you talking about? I don’t sit around watching the gaytor like some cuck.

**** near all of the ones highlighted here

notice how lsu goes AROUND the pile of 8 men in the middle, it's groundbreaking **** that richt can't seem to process

Advertisement
You didn’t mention a QB draw on first down on one of the 4th down TD drives. I think it was the first play after Pickney’s interception. I thought this was a terrible call. For Rosier, maybe, but not Perry. N’Kosi is not going to run through many tackles.

**** near all of the ones highlighted here

notice how lsu goes AROUND the pile of 8 men in the middle, it's groundbreaking **** that richt can't seem to process

Diagram them. My eyes catch fire if I watch the turds winning.

Diagram them. My eyes catch fire if I watch the turds winning.

lol

part of me wishes I was older to better understand the filthy hatred you guys have for florida

most of the younger generation of gators I know don't even care for miami. They're just another school in florida that plays football to them. It's the older generation that have this, visceral animal like hatred.

I had a 40 year old woman in a bar near gainesville grab my hurricane shirt and refuse to let go unless I took it off. It took her best friend 2 minutes of prying her fingers to get finally get her off of me. I've had other instances similar to that, but fsu people are WAY worse in my experience pure absolute trash.

Advertisement
Great insights, as always. Do you know what Perry's first vs. second-half numbers were? He played clutch, for sure, but I am trying to get a sense of his accuracy in the second half.

Let me work on getting this to you. I know a guy who know's a guy. Actually its Toast. He is media and has access to the media stat sheets and usually sends them to me before the show. He must be zzzzzzzz.

As always, thanks @Roman Marciante! In your opinion, do you think Richt limits Perry's opportunity to change plays due to his relative inexperience? There's been much debate about Richt's play calling - and rightly so to some extent. Between Rosier's limited capabilities and Perry's inexperience, has the play calling been limited/adjusted based on those factors?

I think you ask two separate questions so I will try to answer both.

1. I don't really think there is a ton of audibles in this system with any quarterback TBH. I just don't hear the presser stating that the quarterback has this autonomy to do so regardless of seniority. And you don't really see the quarterback coming to the line to do so. It is mainly setting the protection lines, pointing out blitzes. The RPO system is in part a built in audible if you think about it. So I wouldn't say the qb is fully handcuffed but I wouldn't say he's fully autonomous to go Peyton Manning mode either.

2. Rosier I felt limited you in the middle of the field. I just never really felt he was particularly accurate there. Perry on the other hand has proven to be very efficient in that area and can hit that seem with authority. He throws a better deep out too. So I see some plays accentuating that play set. I don't see the offense limited for Perry based on his inexperience. The playbook is what I have come to known it under Richt. Not overly complex. Not really bells and whistles laden.

Yes. It was long. :) It was FSU week and the half way mark of the season. I had a lot on my chest.
Great stuff, man. Thanks.

And for the life of me I can't understand how Richt doesn't see the need to diversify this offense. I have been saying the same for a while and it's driving me crazy. How can a guy who has been coaching offense as long as he has, and who sees exactly who and what we have on the OL, continue to run the same 2 run plays over and over and over. Mind-boggling.

Advertisement
Back