From the Perch: FSU

I love how Richt put the game in Perry's hands with those 4th down throws. I believe in you.

One thing Perry needs to work on is placement on his fade routes in the end zone. He tends to throw them too low which allows shorter defender to break up the plays. The first one to Cager was on his shoulder. Second was a little higher which he was able to come with.

It'll be interesting to see how the offense diversfies in the coming games with Perry. I'm sure they will be adding plays to his package as he gets more confident and secure in what he's doing.

Also, keep in mind we are actually very young at time on offense. We were playing 8 underclassman at times on offense against FSU. Very very young.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Honestly. Feagles needs a sports psychologist. I am not kidding. He has the yips. He has the leg. He just needs to get his mind right. Baxa? I don't know. He was 4-10 in high school his senior year right? I mean I love the kid on kick offs he is a touchback machine. So maybe you pull an FSU and find someone who can be better between the uprights and keep Baxa on kick offs.

I am.very pleased with Baxa. Most kick offs in the end zone. 31/32 extra points. 4/6 field goals. Takes 3 to execute on extra points and field goals. Needs a good snap and hold for the kicker to execute properly. His first field goal.miss this season was on the snap..Have not looked at that on his extra point and second field goal miss. I think too many want to blame the kicker on a miss and never think about the snap.and hold. No I was not a kicker but have always paid close attention to the kicking game as that is the difference and winning or losing way to much

Lol.

That was 8 vs 7..not 8 vs 6...the lb has to be accounted for bc he’s a normal lb depth...that makes it 7.

That’s all on Brevin & if Brevin makes his block..220lb DJ Dallas plows over that FS & gets a first but you’re right..he’s the got route is wide open but you want for your RB to beat a guy 1on1. Especially a db for 2 yards. Brevin makes that block..we get a first.

In open field I agree with you. But that defensive alignment with the safety two yards behind the lb was going to make it very difficult in that alignment to execute and go 1 v1 with the free.

I was waiting for someone to check me on the 8 v 7.
5 plus an h make the 6
Add the rb it's 7

I just felt the staff really did not factor the qb into the run yesterday in any keep capacity. Seemed to be an over correction since the LSU game.

In essence caught the ends super aggressive and thought they could have been checked and wanted to prove that. Regardless miami did not have the numbers in that instance. We both agree there.

Lb for fsu were extremely downhill at times and beat miami to the punch. Brev seemed to expect the guy a little further off. Maybe that's just me.

I love how Richt put the game in Perry's hands with those 4th down throws. I believe in you.

One thing Perry needs to work on is placement on his fade routes in the end zone. He tends to throw them too low which allows shorter defender to break up the plays. The first one to Cager was on his shoulder. Second was a little higher which he was able to come with.

It'll be interesting to see how the offense diversfies in the coming games with Perry. I'm sure they will be adding plays to his package as he gets more confident and secure in what he's doing.

Also, keep in mind we are actually very young at time on offense. We were playing 8 underclassman at times on offense against FSU. Very very young.

One would think some diversity would be added after each Perry start . Confidence in QB hopefully brings confidence in diversity.

Great write-up mate. I for one greatly appreciate the vast time and energy it takes away from the familia to provide this to all of us. So many thanks for doing so. I too am praying that as Perry gains more comfort in the offense, Richt with him as QB, that the play calling becomes more diversified. That way Teams cannot key in on our tendencies, and it begins to take more advantage of our speed and overall talent. I thought Wiggins played a helluva good game Saturday and that it somewhat went unnoticed. The youth movement we have offensively is sick; and they’re going to really start producing here shortly as Perry becomes more comfortable in the offense.

Advertisement
LOL pass them along to Richt and Coach Brown?

But to your question, just watch almost any other college game. **** Clemson could run the ball 10 straight plays without showing you the same run twice. Motion, misdirection, speed to the outside, counters, etc., etc. They make you defend every inch of the field from sideline to sideline. Whereas 98% of our run plays are literally the same 2 plays - zone read up the middle or (slow developing) zone read/stretch wide. With our OL you'd think any play caller would try to help them to offset their limitations, but nope, not us.

Thank you for your insightful response , you actually know some football , unlike the dummies who don’t know jack. But down vote the ones who actually watch replays and see how bad the playcalling is.

To be a good fan you must always say everything is fine, or it’s Golden’s players or whatever excuse they use. While not knowing an x from an o.

I base my facts on what I see , not with my feelings. Just like the former players who talk about this offense being very vanilla and unimpressive.

Until we get an oc, special assistant or Richt adds creativity the o will continue to be bipolar.

Roman, I agree on the diversity. But I do believe a part of why Perry isn't given 2 plays and ability to audible is Mark's wish to keep it KISS at this point and not put to much on his QB shoulders. For redshirt Fr there is a lot going on in this game. Its the first time Perry has gone against a team with the speed and D line of FSU. I believe as a coach, its your job to put your QB in a win/win situation. Keep it simple and straight forward till his brain catches up to the speed of the game. As we start to encounter teams of less stature, I wouldn't be surprised to see Perry start to audible and the playbook open up. You simply cannot take a newbie and game 2 of starting throw him into the wolves. Game one was a not so hot UNC squad, but that was his first start. You want to ease him in. FSU was another level, not the time to add more decisions to his plate. Just my 2 cents.

Roman, I agree on the diversity. But I do believe a part of why Perry isn't given 2 plays and ability to audible is Mark's wish to keep it KISS at this point and not put to much on his QB shoulders. For redshirt Fr there is a lot going on in this game. Its the first time Perry has gone against a team with the speed and D line of FSU. I believe as a coach, its your job to put your QB in a win/win situation. Keep it simple and straight forward till his brain catches up to the speed of the game. As we start to encounter teams of less stature, I wouldn't be surprised to see Perry start to audible and the playbook open up. You simply cannot take a newbie and game 2 of starting throw him into the wolves. Game one was a not so hot UNC squad, but that was his first start. You want to ease him in. FSU was another level, not the time to add more decisions to his plate. Just my 2 cents.

That is very very valid point. I won't argue that one bit. I guess I am wishing kosi to grow up potentially beyond his years with some of the breakdown.

Question. Could not all running plays regardless of situation be called as an rpo. Would not need an audible. . Success would + be determined by Perrys read of the defense

Advertisement
lol

part of me wishes I was older to better understand the filthy hatred you guys have for florida

most of the younger generation of gators I know don't even care for miami. They're just another school in florida that plays football to them. It's the older generation that have this, visceral animal like hatred.

Just go to next years game vs the Gaytors... you will have a new appreciation of what Hate is.
Gaytors make Philadelphia Eagles fans look like model citizen's.
(Sorry to all Eagles fan's for comparing you to Gaytors)

Question. Could not all running plays regardless of situation be called as an rpo. Would not need an audible. . Success would + be determined by Perrys read of the defense
We haven't used the RPO much at all this season. I think implementing it more would really take the offense to the next level. I don't see any improvement from Richt as a play caller, and I don't think we will. As long as he's calling plays offense will be hard to come by.

You could. After rosier kept a few too many for the coaches liking vs LSU they have seemed to be more in the 'force give" mode.

It seems when they aren't in that mode you see the rpo options replace that mindset a bit more

It does seem to me that so far this season, we've cut back a bunch on the RPOs, or at least throwing the bubble out of the RPOs. Not just in the FSU game, but in our other games this season, with both Rosier and Perry, I've seen a bunch of times where we've had numbers with our WRs/TEs on the perimeter where it looks like an easy decision to throw the bubble, and we haven't done so. I'm not sure if it's just my misunderstanding of the way the RPO read/decision is supposed to work, but it's been pretty noticeable to me.

In this game, I was also really surprised that unless I'm forgetting, I don't know if Perry pulled the ball on the zone read one time. There were several times where it looked like the DE he was supposed to read crashed on the RB, and there was no one to the outside containing Perry's run, and he still gave the ball. I don't want to see Perry carrying the ball a ton, but I think he's got to do so when the opportunity is there, and certainly to make other teams respect it more.

Advertisement

People have been saying Richt will open up the offense when x for 3 years. First it was because of Kaaya, then Rosier, now Perry's youth.

I'm pretty sure at this point, this is Richt's offense. We may see a few wrinkles here and there but if you are expecting some big changes/more diversity I wouldn't hold your breath.

Thank you for your insightful response , you actually know some football , unlike the dummies who don’t know jack. But down vote the ones who actually watch replays and see how bad the playcalling is.

To be a good fan you must always say everything is fine, or it’s Golden’s players or whatever excuse they use. While not knowing an x from an o.

I base my facts on what I see , not with my feelings. Just like the former players who talk about this offense being very vanilla and unimpressive.

Until we get an oc, special assistant or Richt adds creativity the o will continue to be bipolar.
Thanks. It's the same thing on any board though. You have the guys who defend the staff at all costs, others who are fair and highlight the pros while still being able to talk about the cons, and then those who are negative about everything. I'm a long-time member/poster on another site, but I find myself spending more and more time here. CI has taken a major step forward with the new team running/contributing to it. From the Perch and Upon Further Review are the 2 best regular spots on any Canes board around imo, and I like the recruiting info and coverage of the local HS scene as well.

I tend to be a down-the-middle guy. I don't pile on the staff or players, but I'm not afraid to talk about issues either.

Thanks. It's the same thing on any board though. You have the guys who defend the staff at all costs, others who are fair and highlight the pros while still being able to talk about the cons, and then those who are negative about everything. I'm a long-time member/poster on another site, but I find myself spending more and more time here. CI has taken a major step forward with the new team running/contributing to it. From the Perch and Upon Further Review are the 2 best regular spots on any Canes board around imo, and I like the recruiting info and coverage of the local HS scene as well.

I tend to be a down-the-middle guy. I don't pile on the staff or players, but I'm not afraid to talk about issues either.

Hey thanks for this. Thanks for your contribution as well. InSight did very well assembling a team of guys. And the good news is, we actually like each other, support each other's work and get along.

Stefan is running a really tight ship. Between the weekly staff emails, the pod casts, the interviews he's been an amazing point guard.

Thanks for the from the perch love my man. It's a blast to do every week.

D$ is a legend enough said. And the recruiting, high school coverage by guys like geo, Grimes sure

Advertisement
you're about as qualified as Jon Richt to corch QB's, though...

Funny thing is, he blocked me on twitter. Never said one thing to the man. Probably got tired of people sending him my tweets. Lol. Which btw is never met intention.

Either way. I think perry is showing some really good fundamental quarterbacking. His stride is really compact. He's manipulating defenders, identifying blitzes. So...I actually will credit him here.

Perry isn't playing like a freshman for the most part. So Kudos all around.

Last edited:
Funny thinking is, he blocked me on twitter. Never said one thing to the man. Probably got tired of people sending him my tweets. Lol. Which btw is never met intention.

Either way. I think perry is showing some really good fundamental quarterbacking. His stride is really compact. He's manipulating defenders, identifying blitzes. So...I actually will credit him here.

Perry isn't playing like a freshman for the most part. So Kudos all around.

Roman, love your stuff on Twitter, lol, I'd never block you

Now, that being said, do you agree with me that one of the flaws of our offense is that coming into games - any game - that there just aren't enough easy completions(certain plays or concepts that we know are relatively easy to convert) that we can depend on to get a QB going or into a groove?

Every other team seems to have pet plays that they know they will run and execute at will and can rely on .

Does Miami have that in the pass game? Im not sure they do

Hey thanks for this. Thanks for your contribution as well. InSight did very well assembling a team of guys. And the good news is, we actually like each other, support each other's work and get along.

Stefan is running a really tight ship. Between the weekly staff emails, the pod casts, the interviews he's been an amazing point guard.

Thanks for the from the perch love my man. It's a blast to do every week.

D$ is a legend enough said. And the recruiting, high school coverage by guys like geo, Grimes sure
My pleasure. I've been amazed honestly...I used to pop over when I'd consumed all the info and conversation on the other board, and then starting realizing all the content you guys were putting out. Got my brother-in-law to join the other site many years ago, and I was just telling him this weekend that he needed to get over here more.

I'm an analytical SOB but don't have the time to rewind play after play and catch the subtleties like I used to , so you guys essentially doing it for me is awesome. Keep up the great work.

Roman, love your stuff on Twitter, lol, I'd never block you

Now, that being said, do you agree with me that one of the flaws of our offense is that coming into games - any game - that there just aren't enough easy completions(certain plays or concepts that we know are relatively easy to convert) that we can depend on to get a QB going or into a groove?

Every other team seems to have pet plays that they know they will run and execute at will and can rely on .

Does Miami have that in the pass game? Im not sure they do

That is for the most part true. Miami has a iz/bubble rpo which has been utilized numerous times. So that is definitely an easy completion if the pre snap read shows the bubble uncovered.

But teams like florida state will use stacked receivers and play the numbers game with quick passing. I personally like stacks and think its an easy way to read the field. But it's preference.

I just think miami could use some quick horizontal passing concepts and diversify other than the bubble. Clemson did a really good job vs us last year in that regards.

Advertisement
Back