From the Perch: FSU

That TD throw to Jordan was a thing of beauty! I saw him staring at the safety from the snap and then rotated and threw that dart to Jordan with great touch and accuracy. On TV, they showed a replay from behind center and affirmed what I saw.

He most certainly did. The clips above will confirm it. He is very good with his eye and head manipulation.

Advertisement
Please say specifically what creative running plays he could call that would overcome the OL deficiencies. It would be very helpful if you could diagram these plays and then pass them along to Richt and Thomas Brown. Looking forward to seeing you detail these plays.
LOL pass them along to Richt and Coach Brown?

But to your question, just watch almost any other college game. **** Clemson could run the ball 10 straight plays without showing you the same run twice. Motion, misdirection, speed to the outside, counters, etc., etc. They make you defend every inch of the field from sideline to sideline. Whereas 98% of our run plays are literally the same 2 plays - zone read up the middle or (slow developing) zone read/stretch wide. With our OL you'd think any play caller would try to help them to offset their limitations, but nope, not us.

Last edited:
I don't really know x's and o's despite decades of being an attentive fan, so really appreciate these posts and discussions. I did notice NK didn't lay it out a lot (at least as much as I expected or hoped), despite having a very strong arm and very decent WRs. Sure, it's basically a low percentage play, albeit with plenty of reward. When he did, targeting Kyle Meyers, there were 3 PIs and great payoff. Sure the coaches know weak DBs and will target them as much as possible, and a PI almost as good as a catch. If OP or anyone wants to comment on how much Richt has Perry lay-it-out, (or should) or gives him the option to as a secondary read if that makes any sense, or whatever, would be of great interest here, and thanks.

Advertisement
@Roman Marciante great stuff as usual, but even better than usual, as expected for the importance of the game.

Hopefully, we can get past UVA this week and take advantage of this bye week coming up to do just what you suggest with some self-scouting and adding some new wrinkles and concepts to the offense. I’ve thought for a while (almost three years basically) that we don’t seem to be aware enough of our own tendencies, and we should zig when the whole stadium expects us to zag a bit more often.

You talked briefly about the OLine rotation but I don’t think you said specifically what you would suggest. It’s obvious some experimentation has been necessary as the line is simply not performing up to standard, so you can’t really blame the coaches for some rotation, but do you have a strong feeling at this point for what they should do to solidify this group? Personally, I’m not sure we have an “answer” at this point, but after watching this game, I’m more inclined than ever to think we need to put Scaife at LT, move St Louis back to RT, Donaldson to RG, and Boulware at LG. And keep those guys on the field together unless there is an injury or fatigue.

I 100% agree with the 5 and their positioning. I just don't think you can throw out a Jahir Jones against a defense like that in that situation. Sorry. I am not trying to pile on the kid, but he has struggled to say the least. I also agree with Donaldson at guard. He seems better suited there because I just don't think he is quick enough and tends to get exposed at times by the speed rush. As a former quarterback I see a sack. I immediately find out who and why.

I am not at the moment a whole sale sell guy on Mark Richt as a play caller. There is a simplistic beauty in what he does at times. As an OC he was 15-0 at one point. You have to give credit. Miami is currently 5-1 this season. Give credit again. I, like you, wish that they would just add a 20% zig infusion with some concepts around the country.

Now that is totally an arbitrary number. But Miami in essence had a microcosm of it vs FSU. The touchdowns were on a fade ball, a slant/flat combo, a dagger concept and a corner/in. Those are very traditional concepts. But a fifth touchdown whcih was dropped by Lawrence Cager instantly stuck out. H back motion with brevin into a bunch to the field. It was a spot concept infused with a texas combo principle. Both Cager and Brevin were open. I loved it. More please.

Miami can mismatch a lot of teams. Brevin showed that principle true when he had that touchdown vs a smaller linebacker. Jeff showed it on his touchdown when he got onto a safety. Last year it seemed we had a hockey line rotation at WR and maybe forsake the mismatch in lieu of it. Miami throws fade balls to big receivers this year. They didn't do that a year ago. I think eventually we get to a realization and figure things out.

Defense did it's job because I felt the biggest weakness it had was horizontally last year. Teams found ways to isolate the linebackers and Clemson showed a very big concern for me. Diaz thus counters with a striker position and they literally are a different team laterally this year. When Diaz only took one LB in the off season I secretly smiled. Because I could sense the writing on the wall.

But this is the time of year when the tape starts piling in. Teams find your tenancy. Let's maybe figure this out before the end of the season. More Zig please.

So Roman, how would you fix our special team failures?

Honestly. Feagles needs a sports psychologist. I am not kidding. He has the yips. He has the leg. He just needs to get his mind right. Baxa? I don't know. He was 4-10 in high school his senior year right? I mean I love the kid on kick offs he is a touchback machine. So maybe you pull an FSU and find someone who can be better between the uprights and keep Baxa on kick offs.

I don't really know x's and o's despite decades of being an attentive fan, so really appreciate these posts and discussions. I did notice NK didn't lay it out a lot (at least as much as I expected or hoped), despite having a very strong arm and very decent WRs. Sure, it's basically a low percentage play, albeit with plenty of reward. When he did, targeting Kyle Meyers, there were 3 PIs and great payoff. Sure the coaches know weak DBs and will target them as much as possible, and a PI almost as good as a catch. If OP or anyone wants to comment on how much Richt has Perry lay-it-out, (or should) or gives him the option to as a secondary read if that makes any sense, or whatever, would be of great interest here, and thanks.

I think I am following this as throwing it deep? I honestly felt after watching Louisville there was going to be holes deep down the middle of the field. We did take a shot with JT from a 12 set formation max protection scheme. Honestly I saw it coming from a mile a way. It was open still but Perry overthrew it. I just think Richt will take shots when needed but finds comfort in taking what the defense gives him. Plus he will run with a smile on his face if you let him.

But the seam to Jordan was a deep shot to perfection. You had the matchup, the look and it worked. ****, I love to throw deep. Chics dig the long ball. But you have to be smart when you do so.

You didn’t mention a QB draw on first down on one of the 4th down TD drives. I think it was the first play after Pickney’s interception. I thought this was a terrible call. For Rosier, maybe, but not Perry. N’Kosi is not going to run through many tackles.

Body frame wise Yes. Rosier seems more capable on qb power concepts. But I have Perry last week running underneath a seam concept right up the B gap for 10 yards untouched. He has the ability in my opinion. Just going to go back to the numbers. How many are in the box and what are we asking our offensive line to do in that context is key.

Advertisement
Body frame wise Yes. Rosier seems more capable on qb power concepts. But I have Perry last week running underneath a seam concept right up the B gap for 10 yards untouched. He has the ability in my opinion. Just going to go back to the numbers. How many are in the box and what are we asking our offensive line to do in that context is key.

Fair enough. I think I remember the play you’re referring to. I don’t recall the play as QB draw, just one where Perry saw the running lane open and ran for the first down.

Great series. Thank you.

Let me work on getting this to you. I know a guy who know's a guy. Actually its Toast. He is media and has access to the media stat sheets and usually sends them to me before the show. He must be zzzzzzzz.

By my count (ignoring drops, though it would be better to add them in to calculate an accuracy %) the completion %s look ugly for both halves.

In the 1st half, I have 7/18 (39%) for 89 yards, 1td, and 1 fumble.
In the 2nd half, I have 6/14 (43%) for 115 yards, and 3 tds.

Unless the vast majority of drops were in the second half, accuracy in the second half looks similarly abysmal...but I look forward to what you find. Thanks again!

Honestly. Feagles needs a sports psychologist. I am not kidding. He has the yips. He has the leg. He just needs to get his mind right. Baxa? I don't know. He was 4-10 in high school his senior year right? I mean I love the kid on kick offs he is a touchback machine. So maybe you pull an FSU and find someone who can be better between the uprights and keep Baxa on kick offs.

It’s not just the kicking though. Blocking has been bad on punts, blocking has been bad on returns, and coverage has not been good. Basically, all around bad,

It’s not just the kicking though. Blocking has been bad on punts, blocking has been bad on returns, and coverage has not been good. Basically, all around bad,

Can't deny that. And Miami should have one of the best special teams in the country year in and year out. The speed, talent and the fact we live in the soccer capital of the world, I cannot for the life of me figure out why we can't get this kicking game locked down.

Advertisement
Fair enough. I think I remember the play you’re referring to. I don’t recall the play as QB draw, just one where Perry saw the running lane open and ran for the first down.

Great series. Thank you.

Thank you. I honestly want to know if that play was an rpo. I referenced it should be. No way of knowing because the offensive line were all pass blocking. (Still could have been a QB draw RPO) It looked like Perry's decision to run was almost coached in that moment.

Advertisement
Thank you. I honestly want to know if that play was an rpo. I referenced it should be. No way of knowing because the offensive line were all pass blocking. (Still could have been a QB draw RPO) It looked like Perry's decision to run was almost coached in that moment.

I’m sure you’re right.

I was being critical of an inside QB draw like those Rosier was often successful running last season and earlier this year. The play does not seem like one in Perry’s wheelhouse. Maybe I am not understanding the play, or Perry did it on his own based on a read.

I’m sure you’re right.

I was being critical of an inside QB draw like those Rosier was often successful running last season and earlier this year. The play does not seem like one in Perry’s wheelhouse. Maybe I am not understanding the play, or Perry did it on his own based on a read.

Oh I agree with you there. Sorry if i went onto another play. Rosier running inside much more in his wheelhouse than Perry's.

Lol.

That was 8 vs 7..not 8 vs 6...the lb has to be accounted for bc he’s a normal lb depth...that makes it 7.

That’s all on Brevin & if Brevin makes his block..220lb DJ Dallas plows over that FS & gets a first but you’re right..he’s the got route is wide open but you want for your RB to beat a guy 1on1. Especially a db for 2 yards. Brevin makes that block..we get a first.

I just assumed we’d chip burns a lot, that’s what I get for assuming anything with this offensive staff.

But everything is fine , I know.

Advertisement
Back