From the horses mouth: What golden must do to keep his job

pimpcane1

Junior
UM addresses Golden/minimum win question and what ex-Canes say he needs to do; Dolphins; Heat trade notes; Dontrelle mystifies Marlins | Sports Buzz

Already, lots of people are asking the question: What’s it going to take for Al Golden to keep his job beyond this season?

Athletic director Blake James made clear Tuesday there “is no minimum win total or anything like that” required for Golden to stay beyond 2015.

“We have to look at the season from a wholistic approach,” James told me today.

Last month, James told me, among other things: “Al knows he needs to win. Our guys know we need to win. I know we need to win.”

If Golden wins, say, 9 or 10 games and UM captures the Coastal Division title, Golden is clearly staying. But there are scenarios in which he could stay while accomplishing less.

What if UM gets to seven or eight wins but the season derails because of major injuries to its best players? What if the Hurricanes start slowly but finish on a significant winning streak?

That’s why the UM administration enters this season with an open mind but also fully prepared to make a change if there’s no clear progress, with a high-level trustee saying the buyout on Golden’s contract (which runs through Feb. 1, 2020) is no longer an impediment.

“What I want to see on field is results,” James said earlier in August. “You want to see improvements in all areas.”

Golden’s strong recruiting class also wouldn’t save the coach if this doesn’t get turned around.

“I’m not a big follower of that,” James said of oral commitments.

St. Thomas Aquinas receiver Sam Bruce, perhaps UM’s top 2016 oral commitment, said he will re-open his recruitment if Golden is fired.

A UM Trustee who spoke to new president Julio Frenk said the decision on Golden’s future will be made by James and that Frenk will defer to James on sports issues, at least early on. Another Trustee who spoke with Frenk says Frenk has interest in athletics but James will make the decision on the coach.

Now if Frenk gets bombarded with emails from angry fans, perhaps he gets more involved.

With all of this in mind, we posed this question to several high-level Trustees and former Hurricanes players: What should be the minimum that Golden should achieve this season for UM to want to go forward with this coaching staff? Some of the opinions expressed:

### One high-level trustee who likes to give his opinion to the administration: “I personally think he needs to win eight games. It’s embarrassing to be as low as six or seven.”

### Another respected longtime trustee: “I think he must start winning nine or 10 games minimum to earn the right to stay. Eight wins isn’t going to satisfy anyone. I’m sorry. That should have been a 9-4 team last year. The talent is obviously better than they’ve showed and something is wrong.”

### A UM administrator with some involvement in the school’s athletics program: “If we have another mediocre season and can’t close out games, he’s done. At minimum, you want a winning season and a reasonable bowl opportunity.”

### Former offensive line standout Joaquin Gonzalez: “Win the games we’re supposed to win and have a shot at winning the tougher games. We should be beating Virginia, Pittsburgh and Duke; I don’t care how good those schools are becoming.”

### Former offensive line standout Vernon Carey: “Eight or nine wins. Time is running out. Just getting to a bowl is not good enough. Coaches tell me things are going to change. There were a lot of ‘me’ guys on the team last year but they’re changing the culture.”

### Former UM linebacker DJ Williams: “They need to win the ACC. That’s what we should expect every year.”

### Former standout linebacker Jonathan Vilma: “A Coastal title. Play in the conference championship. You don’t even need to win it; I just want to brag that we’re in the game. And I would like to see us cater to the strengths of our players.”

### Former star cornerback Duane Starks: “Don’t just win the games you are supposed to win. Win games that make a difference. And I want to see them make adjustments at halftime and not have only the other team make adjustments.

“They get out-coached and they don’t make adjustments, and the biggest adjustment they need to make is putting guys in the right position, in the right place to defend different formations that come up during games. They need to be prepared with situational football. They need to understand football more than they do now. Last year, we didn’t make halftime adjustments on either side of the ball.”

### Former star receiver and WQAM pregame analyst Randal Hill: “Not only win games, but look good doing it. And beat people you’re not supposed to beat.”

Advertisement
Ermon w Golden (2015_07_03 03_36_12 UTC).jpg

The standards have ceased to exist here.

I believe the majority of those that will be involved in this decision will consider 7-8 wins an improvement from last year, and retain him.

From top to bottom winning is no longer a priority at this University to anyone who matters.

Advertisement
“I’m not a big follower of that,” James said of oral commitments.

That made me smile. Golden has to get it done one the field or he's gone.

Well I guess we will have a new coach next year. AG cannot and will not meet any of those expectations. He will not change his philosophy, he will not make adjustments, and will not be aggressive. We are going to lose the games vs competent opponents and lose games vs teams we should beat.

look forward to burning that "********* cigar" before 2016.

DJ williams and Duane Starks and Randal Hill all have balls. Other than that this is still a bunch of weak *** ****. 8 wins? A ******* "winning record and a reasonable bowl opportunity"? Are we ******* Oklahoma State now?

Advertisement
All he has to do is crack 6 or 7 wins and he can claim progress. My guess he will be back again next year.

The expectations have hit rock bottom. No wonder when golden was asked if he felt this was a do or die year he said nope and that he wasn't worried.

One thing is for certain, everyone needs to have Frenks email on hand and to start sending their angry emails to him if he wins anything close to 8 games

One thing is for certain, everyone needs to have Frenks email on hand and to start sending their angry emails to him if he wins anything close to 8 games

fug that start sending when he is down at half time of any game. stats and history show that AG will surely lose that game. every loss should result in thousands of emails

Advertisement
Golden is gone win less than 8 pink slip

Win 9-11 and he uses it to get out of town dude is coaching for his career

### Former offensive line standout Vernon Carey: “Eight or nine wins. Time is running out. Just getting to a bowl is not good enough. Coaches tell me things are going to change. There were a lot of ‘me’ guys on the team last year but they’re changing the culture.”

Jeez, the coaches are even feeding this backstabbing to former players. Sickening.

Advertisement
The first trustee's comment f***ing kills me. Six or seven wins is embarrassing for this program, but 8 is perfectly fine. F*** your own face you piece of s***.

So much acceptance of mediocrity at a program that still has every chance to be dominant with a quality coach. Williams, Hill, and Starks were the only ones who made comments that weren't rage inducing.

Advertisement
Back