From Inside the U earlier tonight on AD and Coach - David Lake

So if this list from the U website is all of the BOT members, how many actually have any stroke? I gather that a lot of these are just titles given out to donors so they feel like they're getting their moneys worth.

Chair
Laurie S. Silvers

Vice Chairs
Manny Kadre
Johnny C. Taylor, Jr.

Trustees
Leonard Abess
Betty G. Amos
Hilarie Bass
Jon Batchelor
Fred Berens
Tracey P. Berkowitz
Marc A. Buoniconti
Alfred R. Camner
Adam E. Carlin
Wayne E. Chaplin
Christopher Chen
Adriana Cisneros
Charles E. Cobb
Landon Coles
Edward A. Dauer
Paul J. DiMare
David L. Epstein
Richard D. Fain

Miguel B. Fernandez
Phillip Frost
Phillip T. George
Rose Ellen Greene
Barbara Hecht Havenick
Allan M. Herbert
Marilyn J. Holifield
Manuel Kadre
Carolyn B. Lamm
Marcus Lemonis
Jayne Sylvester Malfitano
Jose R. Mas
Patricia Menendez-Cambo
Stuart A. Miller
William L. Morrison
Judi Prokop Newman
Aaron S. Podhurst
Lois Pope

Alex E. Rodríguez
Steven J. Saiontz
Robert E. Sanchez
Marvin R. Shanken
Laurie S. Silvers
H. T. Smith, Jr.
Jacquelyn R. Soffer
E. Roe Stamps, IV
Ronald G. Stone
Johnny C. Taylor, Jr.
Ana Veiga Milton
Alice S. Vilma
Jonathan Vilma
David R. Weaver
Geisha J. Williams
G. Ed Williamson II

Ex-Officio Members
Devang Desai
President
Alumni Association

Ana Veiga Milton
President
Citizens Board

Maribel C. Wadsworth
President-elect
Alumni Association

Carlos Guzman
President-elect
Citizens Board

Kourtney Gibson
Immediate Past President
Alumni Association

Roberta L. Jacoby
Immediate Past President
Citizens Board

Julio Frenk
President
University of Miami

Emeriti Members
Michael I. Abrams
Adrienne Arsht
Jose P. Bared
M. Anthony Burns
Paul L. Cejas
Laura G. Coulter-Jones
Carlos M. de la Cruz, Sr.
Edward W. Easton
Gloria M. Estefan

Enrique C. Falla, Sr.
Alfonso Fanjul
George Feldenkreis
David I. Fuente
Thelma V.A. Gibson
Bernard J. Kosar, Jr.
Jorge M. Pérez
Fredric G. Reynolds
Eduardo M. Sardiña

Frank P. Scruggs
Steven Sonberg
Patricia W. Toppel
Gonzalo F. Valdes-Fauli
Marta S. Weeks-Wulf
Frances L. Wolfson
Thomas D. Wood, Sr.

Secretary to the Board of Trustees
Leslie Dellinger Aceituno

Last edited:
Advertisement
Did Mike Bobo get fired from Auburn? If Miami/Manny/ Anyone hired this guy that will be the last straw. How does this guy keep getting jobs???????????????/

While not as bad as Jerry, he still interfered way too much. I mean he is 100% responsible for JaMarcus Russell being drafted while Lane Kiffen made it well known that he didn't want JaMarcus on the team.
Al Davis was great football man, but the game passed him by in his last decade or so. Unfortunately for Raider Nation Al did not pass his positive traits to his son Mark.

will not tolerate any Al Davis slander. legendary owner.
He scared the **** out of Bill Walsh. Whenever Bill identified someone with talent, he knew he had to strike quickly because 1. Al Davis already made his move or 2. Al Davis heard about him too and was about to make his move.

Advertisement
My experience is corporately. First they are not going to present a candidate that is so controversial that he is not going to be approved. Second the BoT as an entire entity is not going to undermine the President's recommendation. They might as well fire him or he might as well resign. Third the guys writing the checks have a lot of power and say. Money talks bull**** walks. Fourth I don't know the BoT bylaws but where does it state to has to be a unanimous vote?
Frenk would likely know whether the AD Recommendation would get approved or not. It's not like once they narrowed down to like the top one or two they wouldn't get some key BOT members feeling on the candidates. Plus close to the majority of the BOT likely don't really care all that much and are just going to automatically side with the president or the people with the most money invested in the choice...

Advertisement
David is just hedging that we hire a good A.D. He then assumes an upset BOT is going to rubber stamp the nomination.

Yeah, he's wrong.
There will be upset BOTs it seems no matter what. What matters is which side the simple majority take.

Did Mike Bobo get fired from Auburn? If Miami/Manny/ Anyone hired this guy that will be the last straw. How does this guy keep getting jobs???????????????/

Coaching fraternity is an incestuous circle..... get fired from one job, pop up at another... padded by multiple buyout $$.

People have been up in arms about all these other schools hiring coaches quickly and “this is what a good school does” fail to realize that all these schools that have made changes already don’t have coaches playing for anything anymore. Oklahoma isn’t in the Big 12 championship, neither is Notre Dame. Our big target is playing in the PAC 12 championship. It only makes sense that we wouldn’t hear anything about a coaching change until after the dust has settled there

Yup, and early signing period.

Advertisement
People have been up in arms about all these other schools hiring coaches quickly and “this is what a good school does” fail to realize that all these schools that have made changes already don’t have coaches playing for anything anymore. Oklahoma isn’t in the Big 12 championship, neither is Notre Dame. Our big target is playing in the PAC 12 championship. It only makes sense that we wouldn’t hear anything about a coaching change until after the dust has settled there
Notre Dame is very much in the mix for the final 4 CFP................I would say that is a pretty big deal..............

Advertisement
Some quick notes tonight...

- If you want change, then you want things to stay quiet. That’s because Miami’s decision makers, President Julio Frenk and his advisors, are doing their best to move in silence. There are a lot of people around UM that used to be in the loop that no longer are (board of trustee members and people inside the Hecht building) and they are frustrated by being cut out of the loop and are leaking plenty of interesting information. Take it all with a grain of salt.

- Why would these people want to leak bad information? A combination of Blake James loyalists and Manny Diaz supporters don’t like the potential for sweeping change within the athletic department and there are some hurt egos amongst the board of trustees after they were cut out of the loop on the decision to separate from Blake James. By leaking false information, it makes Miami’s AD and potential coaching search look like a circus, which it is not. There is a plan, but again, former decision makers are upset/frustrated about being cut out of the loop—and quite frankly they are validating the decision to cut people out of the loop with all these leaks.

- Again, if you desire change, things being quiet this week is a good thing. The longer a move isn’t announced during the course of this week, it is a good thing because the event to have circled on the calendar is the Pac-12 Championship Game on Friday night. Again, pay attention to things not being said: 1.) Miami officially announcing Manny Diaz is coming back in 2022. 2.) A big money extension of Mario Cristobal at Oregon. 3.) A big money extension of Lane Kiffin at Ole Miss. If we don’t hear any news in this regard through Friday, it is a good thing in terms of the potential for change.

- Be skeptical of any athletic director names that leak. I’m not saying that those names being leaked won’t be at UM in some capacity moving forward (and there might be some smoke to Eddie Nunez as the AD, but his name leaking out has me skeptical too), but Miami is using a search firm for the athletic director hire and when you use a search firm, not having names leak is a huge priority. The decision makers driving this decision want to keep things quiet.

- Be skeptical of reports hinting that the board of trustees are voting on a potential AD candidate and then waiting on the final approval of President Julio Frenk. It is my understanding that the process will be Frenk and his advisors recommending an AD to the board of trustees, who are then expected to rubber stamp that recommendation. Again, President Julio Frenk and his advisors are making all of these decisions and they are not speaking to the media about candidates etc.

- Let me state this again…if you want change, quiet is good. Each passing day in which official announcements (Diaz retention, Cristobal and/or Kiffin extensions) aren’t made is a good thing. Patience is required through this weekend and we will see where the chips fall.
Spot on

If you listened to his podcast last week, Lake was pretty ****ed about BOT member(s) leaking false information to the media. He read the letter he wrote to the anonymous BOT member(s), and basically threatened to name names of who is doing it. Evidently he know it is.

Lake is part of the media. He is also a Canes fan and wants the athletic department to succeed.
He's also an alumni.

it's actually quite incredible how many times the university has struck out on the HC hire

I'd say completely whiffed 4 out of the last 5 (excluding Richt as I think he was the best choice at the time and at least got us back on track before manny drove us off the rails)
I actually don’t think it is. For instance, uf, FSU, Tennessee, Texas, and Nebraska illustrate how easy it is to get it wrong again and again. And think about how much money those schools have and how rabid their fans are.
The more I think about it, the more I think the key is putting a system in place like Saban and Kirby have done. After that, if you maintain the machine, the coach should matter a little less. Unfortunately, we’ve got no system so we need a home run hire every time.

Advertisement
Back