From Barry Jackson article

Advertisement
Don’t agree with all of that but understand it.

1) spot on with QB worst I’ve ever seen on any team. Literally we made throwing the ball look like the most difficult thing on the planet. I mean sub 50% completetion in this day and age is just unaccabtable.

2) with OL play as bad as it’s been you can only make 1 Of 2 assessments 1) we recruited bad or 2) we didn’t develop good prospects. Clearly this scout is assuming our OL coach was good and we just didn’t get good prospect. As die hard Canes fans we know that we got better prospects than 90% of the teams out there so it was just a trash coaching job.

3) WR agreed our QBs did them no favors.

4) Running backs: I get it Homer is a great football player but isn’t exciting an NFL scour. Dj needs to loose weight, show more explosiveness and versatility and Cam davis probably not even on radar cuz he was only a Frosh.

Imo I agree with what others have stated watch how everyone gets magically more athletic once we have an actual scheme and we’re putting up points.
It would be nice to see DeeJay at about 205-210 to start the season. He was productive but agree he seemed to lose some explosiveness with the weight gain. I'm hoping Lingard takes the starting post and the find ways to get him and Deejay on the field at the same time.

The biggest evaluation problem with the OL was thinking guys like Hayden Mahoney were good.

Manny corrected that problem quickly. Get the talent on the field.

If you have no better option than Donaldson at tackle, then you are recruiting and developing poorly. Searles set that kid up for failure until they pushed him inside. Scaife may be serviceable at right tackle, but he is another aggressive kid who really should play guard.

Advertisement
The biggest evaluation problem with the OL was thinking guys like Hayden Mahoney were good.

Manny corrected that problem quickly. Get the talent on the field.
How about Donaldson.?He was heralded as a future All American OL candidate. Four stars from all the "analysts." Play on the field has been many levels below that.

And we didn't even mention Brevin and Mallory. Those 2 should have a field day down the seam in the new offense.

Yep. If done right, it’ll be a pick your poison dilemma for opposing defenses.

You don’t think Enos looked at what his playing hand was before he came over here? You don’t think guys like Brevin and Mallory were dangled like carrots by Manny?

He has the raw materials to work with, and it all hinges on a quarterback that can distribute. That’s going to be job one in spring practice.

Enos wouldn’t take this risk if he didn’t know that he had the raw materials to work with. Think about it.

Advertisement
How about Donaldson.?He was heralded as a future All American OL candidate. Four stars from all the "analysts." Play on the field has been many levels below that.

Donaldson has to drop weight going into this season. Looking like his former S&C coach is not a metric for success. I bet you the new guy has him drop an additional 25 pounds. His inside play will greatly improve if he is better shape and quicker.

If you have no better option than Donaldson at tackle, then you are recruiting and developing poorly. Searles set that kid up for failure until they pushed him inside. Scaife may be serviceable at right tackle, but he is another aggressive kid who really should play guard.

I thought Scaife did a fine job at RT once he got in there. He’s athletic with long arms, good pass protector.

IMO, the LSU game as the opener really hurt the competition. It put pressure on Richt to play older guys like Jahair Jones and Rosier.

Advertisement
I don't think we have 5 future All-Pro's on the OL, but I think there is enough talent there. WR was absolutely pitiful last year, JT was our only true game changer at that position, AR and JT together in the right system would have been dynamic. We really need someone outside of JT to step up this year, hopefully the Buffalo kid can do it. RB was good (hampered by terribly OL) but again no true dynamic backs

I thought Scaife did a fine job at RT once he got in there. He’s athletic with long arms, good pass protector.

IMO, the LSU game as the opener really hurt the competition. It put pressure on Richt to play older guys like Jahair Jones and Rosier.

Struggled against speed rushers, but I will cut him some slack as a true freshman. I think Scaife has first team all-conference potential as a guard. I'd like to see what Campbell brings to the table and maybe push Scaife inside. Playing Jones and Mahoney as much as Searles did was absurd. Funny thing is going into last season I was reading where they were not overly happy with right tackle play. Who started there in 2017? St. Louis. Glad Searles is at North Carolina. Our sack totals against them will go up this year.

I don't think we have 5 future All-Pro's on the OL, but I think there is enough talent there. WR was absolutely pitiful last year, JT was our only true game changer at that position, AR and JT together in the right system would have been dynamic. We really need someone outside of JT to step up this year, hopefully the Buffalo kid can do it. RB was good (hampered by terribly OL) but again no true dynamic backs

Our backs are talented enough to be successful in a competent system. Lingard, Davis and Dallas showed enough to be competent in what Enos has in mind. You get a kid like Martell running read and ride and a real threat to break one and you put the defensive end and outside linebacker in a real quandry, too.

Advertisement
If we can get someone, anyone, to play LT, I think our OL can at least be serviceable, barring injury. That's a **** of a lot of ifs and caveats, but I think there is at least some starting talent on the OL - Scaife, Donaldson, Reed, Gaynor...

MPO is that they did not 1. develop our OLine properly, 2. they did not have enough gap space between OLinemen, they were very cramped in so that runners could not find holes on a constant basis and 3. They seemed to always be on the defensive as an Oline; they were never moving forward always being pushed backwards into the backfield or sideways; the dline always had the advantage on us. It did improve mid season but still not at the level this school should be at.

Advertisement
Back