From Barry Jackson article

Advertisement
Don’t agree with all of that but understand it.

1) spot on with QB worst I’ve ever seen on any team. Literally we made throwing the ball look like the most difficult thing on the planet. I mean sub 50% completetion in this day and age is just unaccabtable.

2) with OL play as bad as it’s been you can only make 1 Of 2 assessments 1) we recruited bad or 2) we didn’t develop good prospects. Clearly this scout is assuming our OL coach was good and we just didn’t get good prospect. As die hard Canes fans we know that we got better prospects than 90% of the teams out there so it was just a trash coaching job.

3) WR agreed our QBs did them no favors.

4) Running backs: I get it Homer is a great football player but isn’t exciting an NFL scour. Dj needs to loose weight, show more explosiveness and versatility and Cam davis probably not even on radar cuz he was only a Frosh.

Imo I agree with what others have stated watch how everyone gets magically more athletic once we have an actual scheme and we’re putting up points.

JT had speed but the QB's neutralized it. Richards was sorely missed. Let's see if the young guys can set up this year.

RB's were good, but not UM good. I like Homer but there was a reason he did not see the field when Walton was here, and why Richt ran Walton to the very end risking the injury that happened. Cam looked good, hopefully Lo is as advertised and Martin as well. That would be a UM backfield then.

(Quote from NFL exceutive about the Canes last year)

"They have poor to marginal quarterback play, average running backs and receivers, poor offensive line. Nowhere on offense were they above average. Not nearly as athletic as they been have in the past. Their speed has really [diminished]. I’ve never seen quarterback play worse at that program. There’s something wrong with their evaluation of offensive linemen. "
Jeff Thomas? Average?

Advertisement
Do you think the athletes were already on the roster or was it the right staff who helped unlock their performance gains?

A little of both, the only signings they had were an aging left tackle (Whitworth) an underperforming WR (woods), and a center who hadn’t started in a couple years (Sullivan). Also the trade for Watkins but he was pretty ineffective.

I think the coaching/scheme helped unlock a lot of the performance gains, if you look at Goff and Gurleys stats before and after McVay it’s astronomical, same for Woods, and the O-line was terrible too, so I think coaching made all the difference.

Advertisement
JT had speed but the QB's neutralized it. Richards was sorely missed. Let's see if the young guys can set up this year.

RB's were good, but not UM good. I like Homer but there was a reason he did not see the field when Walton was here, and why Richt ran Walton to the very end risking the injury that happened. Cam looked good, hopefully Lo is as advertised and Martin as well. That would be a UM backfield then.

Richards was a monster of a loss. Kid was a big season away from being a top 3 round draft pick IMO. With that said the QB and OL play would have neutralized much of what he would've been able to accomplish.

See I don’t think the RB’s nor the WR’s were utilized in the fashion they should’ve been to highlight and showcase their talents. I get the dig on the OL and QB positions. Oh well I hope Manny posts this up where all can see and read it, so that it can serve as a reminder and motivation for the entire team.

Aside from Thomas, the WR that played last season were atrocious. I think the younger kids are much more athletic but I think this opinion is based on who played and when you are trotting out Langham that's tough to argue.

I think it's spot on. Even RB. Only Davis made you think woah a few times he had a chance to play. Homer and Dallas were not very good.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The OL assessment is spot on, but my question is how have we had such poor OL play for 5-7 years now. Players have come and gone, and the same goes for coaches.
Would appreciate anyone out there who could provide a reasonable explanation.

See I don’t think the RB’s nor the WR’s were utilized in the fashion they should’ve been to highlight and showcase their talents. I get the dig on the OL and QB positions. Oh well I hope Manny posts this up where all can see and read it, so that it can serve as a reminder and motivation for the entire team.
Absolutely. This should be bulletin board material from day one, fuel for everyone to build on.

Advertisement
Is this posted on the new big screens in the IPF yet? The Mighty Mo.

The scout was spot on in a way. We didn’t play our most athletic guys. We kept guys like Cager and Langham on the field. Young bulls sat on the sideline at WR and RB because their blocking skills weren’t as good.

The skill position was way down due to favoritism

We’re going to have some young bloods at WR this season. I’m looking for huge improvement from that group.

Group as a whole grossly underperformed last year.

I'm expecting a lot more from Hightower and Pope. Better QB play is going to greatly improve our receivers production.

Advertisement
Back