Frenk will not be retained (rumor) UPDATE: Interviewing Rhett Lashlee for OC today

Advertisement
Advertisement
Forbes and WSJ ranked Miami much higher than FSU. However, I don't blame someone for sending their kid to FSU because of the cost difference

Advertisement
Forbes and WSJ ranked Miami much higher than FSU. However, I don't blame someone for sending their kid to FSU because of the cost difference
If someone has in-state tuition and good grades, UF is a very good state school. FSU is still a party school though and not known for their academics at all.

Acceptance rates are not really even directly comparable. A lot of people won't even apply to UM because of cost and entrance requirements. Those that do are more likely to be sure they have the scholarships or aid to be able to go to Miami or don't even bother applying in the first place, especially with the more expensive application fee. Meanwhile, FSU is typically applied to by a large percentage of students in Florida looking to go to a state university. They are also the safety school for a lot of UM and UF applicants. So they end up with far more applicants than openings compared to Miami, but not better applicants.

Advertisement
Acceptance rates are not really even directly comparable. A lot of people won't even apply to UM because of cost and entrance requirements. Those that do are more likely to be sure they have the scholarships or aid to be able to go to Miami or don't even bother applying in the first place, especially with the more expensive application fee. Meanwhile, FSU is typically applied to by a large percentage of students in Florida looking to go to a state university. They are also the safety school for a lot of UM and UF applicants. So they end up with far more applicants than openings compared to Miami, but not better applicants.
The admission yield column shows how many of those accepted ultimately enroll.

Eventually it might.

First, it will take 6 months to hire someone. Once that person is hired, you might see a change at the AD level. A new AD may make significant changes to the football program.

Don't expect any real big changes for the next 12 months.

Do you realize the amount of luck, incompetence and apathy it took/takes for Blake to get the job (in the first place) and keep it for so long?

Advertisement
I've posted multiple times, in multiple threads, that UM gives 5-year contracts to presidents.

Frenk has been UM president since August 16, 2015. Five years are up in 8 months.

It is pretty telling that he went into his final year with minimal/no talk of an actual extension.

As an OOS parent, Miami is appealing as a small, private school for a lot of reasons. It isn't something that is widely publicized but Miami gives A LOT of scholarship money to incoming freshmen (and renewable through 4 years) and OOS students are as eligible to receive it as in state Florida residents. These scholarships range from a few thousand dollars to full tuition for 4 years. Much of this scholarship money is based purely on test scores - SAT or ACT. In addition, there are many, many, many scholarships available to Florida residents, students of various minority groups or those with other special circumstances. This kind of financial support is huge given the very high tuition. In my experience over the years, there are few other schools- especially private schools - that offer OOS kids the same kind of scholarship opportunities. These are NOT loans; this is outright scholarship $$.

My kids have many friends at Miami from Florida. They have always said the order of preference for kids who are concerned with academics is Miami, UF and then FSU. If financials become an issue, kids accepted at both Miami and UF probably end up at UF due to cost of attendance.
And btw, there is no guarantee siblings are accepted at UM, regardless of whether they are Florida residents or not...

If someone has in-state tuition and good grades, UF is a very good state school. FSU is still a party school though and not known for their academics at all.

I realize this is just one example, but...

My niece is a National Merit Scholar, and she just chose F$U. Both of her parents are Gaytors. Visited UF, but would not even visit UM, though I offered to set up a visit and go with her. A lot of her decision had to do with the cost (at least the UM vs. F$U part), and the "past historic" poor academic ranking of F$U did not dissuade her.

Whatever crack F$U is selling to US News and applicants is working. Meanwhile, Frenk is not providing the resources that UM Admissions needs, and that UM Placement needs.

UM's next President needs to be younger and in touch with what is needed in the modern marketplace. UM needs to do more on Admissions, Placement, and the Endowment Fund FOR SCHOLARSHIPS. I don't care if UM doesn't build another building for the next 20 years, we have to defray the MASSIVE cost of attendance, we have to overcome the reluctance of top students to even apply to UM.

And, yes, the changes need to incorporate Athletics. If we are a Power Five school, we need to look and act the part in football, basketball, and baseball, and we need to reinstate a few of the other athletic teams that we have destroyed over the years. There is no reason why UM should not be great in tennis, golf, swimming/diving, and soccer. We need to lobby the NCAA to devote its MASSIVE revenue streams towards providing MORE opportunities for student-athletes, and allow us to convert MORE team sports from "equivalency scholarships" into "head count scholarships".

Advertisement
Back