Francois furthers relationship with Banda as OSU, PSU push

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 South Dade 4-star safety Jaiden Francois has been committed to the Hurricanes since February and, since making his pledge, has been focusing more on improving his game off the field than any part of the recruiting process.

“For me right now, I’m just staying healthy and working on getting out of my breaks faster, that’s the main thing I’ve been trying to work on,” Francois said. “Also, getting my speed up and being more of a team player and being more vocal with my teammates and coaches.”

It’s been a long spring and summer in the recruiting world, but Francois is still one of the key players in Miami’s recruiting class and he says nothing has changed with UM.

“Everything’s going good with Miami,” Francois said. “Recruiting is going good, not too stressful like I thought it would be.”

Even though Francois plays both corner and safety in high school, the South Dade star is set on playing safety in college. Safeties coach Ephraim Banda has been Francois’ main recruiter at Miami, and the talented DB says the pair have continued to develop their connection in the past year.

“Since last summer, our relationship got way better, the bond got better, and the communication is way better,” Francois said of Banda.

Francois has also caught the attention of the head man in charge, as UM head coach Manny Diaz has made him one of his priorities in the class.

“I talk to him from time to time,” Francois said of Diaz. “He tells me to stay locked in, that this is a family. I like what Manny Diaz is doing getting the program back on track. Hopefully they have a great season there.”

Two weekends back, Francois visited UM’s campus to take in a fall practice and tour the facilities.

“It was good, a high-intensity practice. The safeties are good, they hit hard and everybody runs to the ball,” Francois said. “They also took us around campus, mainly the same stuff we see every time we go out there. I did learn more about the new facilities they’re building, though.”

Although he only participated in a few drills, Francois did make it to campus in June for Paradise Camp and got some advice from a current NFL safety.

“It was great, I met Rayshawn Jenkins,” Francois said. “He told me everything in college is going to transfer to the NFL so just take it seriously and the NFL won’t be that hard.”

Add all his visits up and Francois has visited UM countless times over the spring and summer. The only other school he’s visited? That’d be Ohio State, a program he saw in early June. He plans to return to Columbus on an official visit this fall.

“It’s hard to explain, there’s just a lot of different things (at Ohio State) compared to Miami,” Francois said of his interest in the Buckeyes.

Francois says Penn State has also been in touch and that he plans to take an official to see the Nittany Lions some time this fall as well.

“Coach (Ja’Juan) Seider just tells me everything other coaches say, just to come visit and check out the facilities,” Francois said.

In the end, how difficult would it be to flip him from his Miami pledge?

“It’d be tough, but it’s complicated,” he said.

Francois pointed to seeing evidence that Miami can become a consistent winner under Manny Diaz as something that would help keep him locked into the U.

“I definitely am looking to see them improve this season, have a winning season,” Francois said. “I expect a winning season.”

As of now, Francois is currently on track to graduate school in December and enroll early at Miami for spring ball. It’s something that the coaching staff stresses the importance of to every commit, but this was actually something Francois had wanted to do long before he was a Miami commit.

“I pretty much made that decision on my own,” Francois said. “By the time the season starts, I feel like I’ll be more prepared than any other freshman.”

Last season, South Dade went 10-3 and fell in the quarterfinals to Columbus, 54-28. Francois admits that he’s been looking forward to the rematch against the Explorers all offseason.

“I need to get some revenge,” Francois said. “I got hurt last game so this time, it’s going to be big, it’s going to be a movie.”

What does Francois see from the 2019 version of the Buccaneers that makes him believe this season will end differently?

“Just going back and watching film, looking at all the little mistakes we made, we had a lot of penalties,” Francois said. “This year, we’re going to cut those down because our discipline is better. We have more chemistry, we have a lot of juniors and seniors. Everybody’s on the same page and has the same goals.”

As a junior in 2018, Francois set the state record for interceptions with 12, and also put up 79 tackles and 8 PBU’s. For an encore in 2019, he has his sights set on topping that feat, and wouldn’t mind taking home some hardware for his troubles either.

“My goals this year would be winning a state championship,” Francois said. “I’m also trying to get 100 interceptions if I can, but really I want to maintain what I did last year. Realistically, I’m looking to get 13 (picks).”

At the Opening Miami Regional in February, Francois recorded a 4.64 40-yard dash, a 4.30 shuttle time, and a 33.20 vertical leap.

Advertisement
Remember these recruits reads these stories linked with threads like this. So before it starts , chill with the bashing sh*t. We are going to have a good season, quit worrying. Miami just got to take care of business on the field and they will do that. Francois is a big time talent and we got to keep him committed by any means

Remember these recruits reads these stories linked with threads like this, chill with the bashing sh*t. We are going to have a good season, quit worrying. Miami just got to take care of business on the field and they will do that
Relax no one is bashing anyone. I quoted a word directly he used multiple times. He’s a great player who I hope stays, chill out.

Remember these recruits reads these stories linked with threads like this, chill with the bashing sh*t. We are going to have a good season, quit worrying. Miami just got to take care of business on the field and they will do that. Francois is a big time talent and we got to keep him committed by any means

lol if theyre worried about fans talking ****, dont give quotes about how it's complicated.

Advertisement
Wasn’t directed at you, just for the ensuing posts like we saw in the other Francois thread

brock, fans are fans. you cant control what anyone says if a kid is being indecisive about his decision. its a big decision for him and he can go where he wants, but you cant control what people say on here. were going to defend the team no matter what.

brock, fans are fans. you cant control what anyone says if a kid is being indecisive about his decision. its a big decision for him and he can go where he wants, but you cant control what people say on here. were going to defend the team no matter what.
True , but there is a big difference in say a guy like Francois who is a top 5 talent in our class and committed back vs someone like a donnell Harris who sh*tted on Miami. That’s just my take on it. End of they day imo he will sign with Miami, not that worried about osu given their numbers already in their class too

Advertisement
In terms of ball skills he’s the best ballhawk out of any of these dbs we have recruited in the last couple of classes and that’s saying something. That’s what put him in that elite category for me and he has pretty solid athleticism for a db as well. Imo He will end up being a 6’0 200 pound guy running a 4.48 40 or so by the time he leaves Miami.

Win the frigging games and the recruits will come. Everyone wants to be on a Hurricane teams that looks and feels like the old ones. If we do lose it has to be close against top team and us in it until the end, no blow out loss.

Advertisement
Advertisement
If recruits think all the comments on college football team sites are ALL from actual fans of the teams, they're wrong. Anyone can join and be negative towards Miami recruits and hate the Canes. There are plenty on CIS to prove the point.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back