Forget Mario

Pls explain why Mario would come here?

EUGENE — Mario Cristobal’s contract now runs through the 2026 season.

Oregon’s fourth-year head coach received an automatic one-year contract extension through Jan. 14, 2027 after the No. 3 Ducks won their ninth regular season game of the season by beating Washington State, 38-24, Saturday night at Autzen Stadium.

Cristobal will receive $4.75 million in the new contract year with a $250,000 retention bonus upon completion, same as the year prior.

Cristobal has already earned performance bonuses totaling $350,000 this season; $150,000 for the Ducks being bowl bound with at least seven wins, $200,000 for a ninth regular-season win. His bowl participation bonus can grow to $375,000 should Oregon reach the CFP National Championship game and his maximum performance incentives is $1.675 million.

Advertisement
I would be shocked if BOT members had not already reached out to Mario's people. There has never been a more obvious target.

Keep Lashlee?!?
Lashlee is far from a problem. Fresh QB comes out and missed throws and turned it over 3xs in the first quarter..as for OP..I know we are all Miami fans and we hold this program up to a standard…but Ole miss is not a bad job. Your coaching in the SEC. If you preform Ole miss will pay him just as well. There’s little pressure to win there. Why would he leave that for Miami ?

Oregon’s fourth-year head coach received an automatic one-year contract extension through Jan. 14, 2027 after the No. 3 Ducks won their ninth regular season game of the season by beating Washington State, 38-24, Saturday night at Autzen Stadium.

Cristobal will receive $4.75 million in the new contract year with a $250,000 retention bonus upon completion, same as the year prior.

Cristobal has already earned performance bonuses totaling $350,000 this season; $150,000 for the Ducks being bowl bound with at least seven wins, $200,000 for a ninth regular-season win. His bowl participation bonus can grow to $375,000 should Oregon reach the CFP National Championship game and his maximum performance incentives is $1.675 million.
He wouldn’t

Everyone bashing Mario: just make sure you check back in after he takes a team quarterbacked by this scrub Brown to the playoffs. He's not my first choice -- that would be Arranda. But he would be the best coach we've hired in over 20 years. Among the group who would seriously consider us, Kiffin is the only guy who is arguably a better candidate.
He's going to lose another game here shortly (probably next week at Utah) so the Playoff talking point will probably be off the table.

I think your assertion about being the best hire in the last 20 years is a little more debatable. Looking at Richt's obvious health issues now, I'm willing to write off his last season here as having been diminished by those extraneous factors. So the standard would be for Luigi to have us at some point in his second year ranked in the top 5, winning the Coastal and in a New Year's Six bowl.

I'm an obvious detractor of Cristobal's but I think that actually would be a very realistic goal with him initially. Only then would I personally crown him better than Richt here though.

Advertisement

That's obviously nice money but it's not "elite" CFB head coach money. I actually think most people would think Oregon & Nike and expect him to be getting more. Extra surprising when one learns how much Stanford pays David Shaw (rightfully so imo) in that same mediocre conference.

Advertisement
Pay $7 million per year for Kiffin and $2.5 million to keep Lashlee. And then give another $4-5 million to fill in the rest of the staff.

I keep hearing that we are serious about winning? Are we? That should be the start.

Forget Mario - he’s avg at best.

LOL. It's going to take 2X that to fill out the next staff. Beleeev it.

Everyone bashing Mario: just make sure you check back in after he takes a team quarterbacked by this scrub Brown to the playoffs. He's not my first choice -- that would be Arranda. But he would be the best coach we've hired in over 20 years. Among the group who would seriously consider us, Kiffin is the only guy who is arguably a better candidate.
Breeeng me Aranda.
Wanted him bad 3 years ago.

Forget Lane. We're not TRYING to get the death penalty.
Stop being scared. Death penalty doesn't exist anymore. We've seen players handed money on national TV after the national championship game. This isn't the 80's or 90's. And now with the NIL, it's gonna be so much easier to funnel money to recruits. Let's get dirty with the big boys and get back to winning.

Advertisement
Back