Forget a new stadium for a sec...

Because people aren’t looking deeper than how loud or comfortable the stadium is. THE concern is the money. UM makes far more money selling out its OWN stadium than they do selling out a stadium they dont own. Own your sh*t. ALWAYS own your sh*t.

there is one site that would solve our proximity issues and have feasible highway access, and that's tropical park. problem is that it's the county's land and it would cost an insane amount of money to bring the roads, water, sewer, and electricity needs up to speed for a modern stadium. unless our donors are feeling generous enough to fork over a few billion (because there's no chance in **** that the city or state would want to pay to overhaul roads for this project), deal with the state about highways, the city about local roads, and both for the other infrastructure improvements, it doesn't make sense.

the other big issue is if the county is willing to allow another stadium to be built in addition to beckham's project.

edit: changed "city" to "county" since it's county land.

Last edited:
Advertisement
there is one site that would solve our proximity issues and have feasible highway access, and that's tropical park. problem is that it's the city's land and it would cost an insane amount of money to bring the roads, water, sewer, and electricity needs up to speed for a modern stadium. unless our donors are feeling generous enough to fork over a few billion (because there's no chance in **** that the city or state would want to pay to overhaul roads for this project), deal with the state about highways, the city about local roads, and both for the other infrastructure improvements, it doesn't make sense.

the other big issue is if the city is willing to allow another stadium to be built in addition to beckham's project.
false it does not belong to the city. it belongs to the county. big difference

right, it's in unincorporated miami-dade. that doesn't change the issue.
it actually does. the political dynamics are significantly different.

IMO, tropical park doesn't work unless you are prepared to pave most of it and essentially eliminate one of the most important parks in the county. i don't think the county would approve and i dont think that transforming a public park for generally private use is the best and highest use of property that belongs to the people.

Advertisement
I will guess all plans to renovate are halted. Space is a big question. I assume a stand alone football facility will be a priority. We are still well behind with facilities.
They have a stand alone football facility already. It is like 10 years old.

it actually does. the political dynamics are significantly different.

IMO, tropical park doesn't work unless you are prepared to pave most of it and essentially eliminate one of the most important parks in the county. i don't think the county would approve and i dont think that transforming a public park for generally private use is the best and highest use of property that belongs to the people.

right, and that's why the stadium plan isn't really feasible. tropical park is the ideal location that will never happen. the next best plot is already earmarked for beckham and the mls stadium. i'm not sure where else we could put one that solves proximity, infrastructure, and ownership issues. to be clear, i don't think building a stadium is a smart move unless it's literally gifted to us.

right, and that's why the stadium plan isn't really feasible. tropical park is the ideal location that will never happen. the next best plot is already earmarked for beckham and the mls stadium. i'm not sure where else we could put one that solves both proximity and ownership issues.
melreese park is also not feasible for many reasons, including there is no surface parking in the current plan for a 25k stadium (all underneath) and to expand that stadium to 50k or more would cause even more issues with subsurface parking. in addition, there is an airport runway less than a mile away and the FAA has already flagged the current proposed stadium as being too tall for airport safety.

that's just to start off with.

Advertisement
melreese park is also not feasible for many reasons, including there is no surface parking in the current plan for a 25k stadium (all underneath) and to expand that stadium to 50k or more would cause even more issues with subsurface parking. in addition, there is an airport runway less than a mile away and the FAA has already flagged the current proposed stadium as being too tall for airport safety.

that's just to start off with.

agreed on all points. there isn't anywhere to put a stadium so i'm not sure why people keep bringing it up like it's a possibility.

my "will never happen outside of my wet dreams" scenario is ruiz buying the marlins, wrecking the stadium to build a new orange bowl, and selling the marlins to someone that can figure out their own stadium solution.

I love stadium threads….everyone from Broward suddenly becomes a traffic expert

Miami needs a stadium period, full stop.

We don’t need to be playing in a teal rent-a-field.

HRS is fine if Ross transfers full ownership to UM, we tear up the teal blue seats and replace them with ORANGE & GREEN, and we put our ring of honor up permanently

Outside of those conditions, HRC isn’t it. Looks ridiculous on TV playing “home games” in clearly another team’s stadium

therrea
agreed on all points. there isn't anywhere to put a stadium so i'm not sure why people keep bringing it up like it's a possibility.

my "will never happen outside of my wet dreams" scenario is ruiz buying the marlins, wrecking the stadium to build a new orange bowl, and selling the marlins to someone that can figure out their own stadium solution.

there are no good sites and most of the bad ones make no sense.

How about buying Hard Rock Stadium and renting it to the Dolphins?

Advertisement
Advertisement
this is a reasonable and feasible plan. who has a billion dollar sitting around. and the dolphins are going to rent the stadium?

video game world.

it'll never happen because the league would scatter the dolphins to the wind before that was allowed to happen, but it's somehow more realistic than building a stadium ourselves. basically an ice cube's chance in **** over a snowball's.

it'll never happen because the league would scatter the dolphins to the wind before that was allowed to happen, but it's somehow more realistic than building a stadium ourselves. basically an ice cube's chance in **** over a snowball's.
that's my point. 99% of all proposals made here and other places for a new stadium are unreasonable and unfeasible. the virginia key, seaquarium, tropical park, melreese park, intramural fields, coral gables high etc. ALL OF THEM are deeply flawed and not likely to ever happen.

that's my point. 99% of all proposals made here and other places for a new stadium are unreasonable and unfeasible. the virginia key, seaquarium, tropical park, melreese park, intramural fields, coral gables high etc. ALL OF THEM are deeply flawed and not likely to ever happen.
we're on the same page, amigo.

So yall think HRS is just automatically going to be there forever? Yall dont think an issue will ever arise where UM may be forced to find an alternative? Then what? Ask to share FIU? Is that what you want? Ask to somehow share Marlins stadium? This is pro sports we are talking about. Think about that. Pro stadiums come and go along with the teams that occupy them.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back