Forget a new stadium for a sec...

Katzenboyer

Freshman
...where would a new football facility go?

With the hiring of DRad, I have to imagine the first thing he'd want to begin building towards is a Clemson-like football facility. So where would you put it?

I don't think it can be worked within the Hecht's current footprint, seeing as that's the headquarters for all sports and we can't afford to lose use of that space for the time it would take for construction.

I think the intramural fields would serve as a good location, but is it feasible? Where else on campus could something that large go?

Advertisement
Advertisement
I will guess all plans to renovate are halted. Space is a big question. I assume a stand alone football facility will be a priority. We are still well behind with facilities.

I feel like Tennis courts would be easy to move. Put it where the wellness center tennis courts are and build some new ones on the intramural fields. That would give you a roughly 20,000 sq ft footprint. Or the parking lot east of the IPF next to the energy plant.

This seems like such wasted space. Remove the bottom section of the surface lot and build an additional facility there.

Build a 4 story parking garage in the upper section to replace whatever parking spots you removed from the south section.

Screen Shot 2021-12-09 at 1.45.31 PM.png

Advertisement
Maybe they should start building high instead of thinking wide. Not sure how that would work but the architects get money to figure it out. Anything is possible with money. Our facilities are not terrible as people keep bringing up. Maybe now we have state of the art money to play with though

Revenue from your own stadium contributes to these projects. Never forget about a stadium. UM needs to own and operate their own stadium. The sooner the better. You want to unseat Bama? Take it all the way. Dont get chubby and lazy now. Find the location, purchase, build, sell it out, rake in the $$$, expand when feasible.

Do we really need all that space for the IM fields? I’m guessing you can cut that space in half and you’d still have plenty of room for fraternity flag football and the nerds playing quidditch. Tennis facility could be moved to the north side of it.

Advertisement
This seems like such wasted space. Remove the bottom section of the surface lot and build an additional facility there.

Build a 4 story parking garage in the upper section to replace whatever parking spots you removed from the south section.

View attachment 167183
1639076636376.png

You'd have a building footprint of about 66,000 square feet.

This is off the blueprints of the Mal Moore Athletic facility upgrades at Alabama
1639076715837.png

We have a brand new facility.

The next steps are renovating the pre-existing facilities (locker room, weight room, Hecht offices, etc)
Brotha, you’re on fire lately with the juice.

Advertisement
Do we really need all that space for the IM fields? I’m guessing you can cut that space in half and you’d still have plenty of room for fraternity flag football and the nerds playing quidditch. Tennis facility could be moved to the north side of it.
I agree the intramural fields need to be made use of.

Advertisement
Back