Forget a new stadium for a sec...

Advertisement
I feel like Tennis courts would be easy to move. Put it where the wellness center tennis courts are and build some new ones on the intramural fields. That would give you a roughly 20,000 sq ft footprint. Or the parking lot east of the IPF next to the energy plant.

There is some tree-lined parking between the IFP and the Watsco Center that I've had my eye on if the AD needed to build some more. Yes, we would lose some valuable parking, but you could build another structure over by the Merrick Garage on the other side to house more cars.

You can see it on google maps if you like. The IFP is obviously the cleared land above Greentree:

I perform A quick feasibility study of coral gables high footprint and a 50k stadium. It could work, but it’s a narrow plot of land bordered by roads. Seems less feasible to me once scaled. For whatever that is worth.

taking away the intramural fields is a non-starter. between club sports and intramurals they're used very often, plus it's good to have open recreational space for students to use (it's a college after all). plus, the university is already planning on putting a road that cuts across the side adjacent to the wellness center and stanford so space is already going to be eaten up.

I perform A quick feasibility study of coral gables high footprint and a 50k stadium. It could work, but it’s a narrow plot of land bordered by roads. Seems less feasible to me once scaled. For whatever that is worth.
infrastructure improvements for traffic alone would be in the billions.

Advertisement
taking away the intramural fields is a non-starter. between club sports and intramurals they're used very often, plus it's good to have open recreational space for students to use (it's a college after all). plus, the university is already planning on putting a road that cuts across the side adjacent to the wellness center and stanford so space is already going to be eaten up.
Valid, I recall back in the day how often there weren’t enough fields

infrastructure improvements for traffic alone would be in the billions.
absolutely. As much as one would love it for proximity, it’d be a nightmare to plan let alone implement. That portion of the gables will be hating life for several years with that undertaking.

I'd love to know the financials around constructing, owning, maintaining and upgrading your own stadium.

For 8 games a year of say 50k fans, do you even break even?

If someone else pays for it (boosters), and you aren't obligated to pay the note, you make a lot of money.

Advertisement
Let's start winning before we worry about where we are doing it

Field of Dreams 30 day movie challenge GIF

Advertisement
The answer is SO obvious...

Just drain Lake Osceola, fill it in with dirt and build the stadium in the middle of the campus!
Then convert the intramural fields into a big parking lot for gameday tailgating.

Confused Jim Carrey GIF

...where would a new football facility go?

With the hiring of DRad, I have to imagine the first thing he'd want to begin building towards is a Clemson-like football facility. So where would you put it?

I don't think it can be worked within the Hecht's current footprint, seeing as that's the headquarters for all sports and we can't afford to lose use of that space for the time it would take for construction.

I think the intramural fields would serve as a good location, but is it feasible? Where else on campus could something that large go?
I Think the Mas Brother and The U should unit and build the stadium at Melreese

Advertisement
Because people aren’t looking deeper than how loud or comfortable the stadium is. THE concern is the money. UM makes far more money selling out its OWN stadium than they do selling out a stadium they dont own. Own your sh*t. ALWAYS own your sh*t.
Just like with the Orange Bowl, high school games could be played in it. Game of the week, streamed..

Advertisement
Back