Forget a new stadium for a sec...

win and the stadium works itself out.

no one complained about the stadium in 2017. when we are losing, we complain.

Because people aren’t looking deeper than how loud or comfortable the stadium is. THE concern is the money. UM makes far more money selling out its OWN stadium than they do selling out a stadium they dont own. Own your sh*t. ALWAYS own your sh*t.

Advertisement
win and the stadium works itself out.

no one complained about the stadium in 2017. when we are losing, we complain.
Only ones complaining are Broward fans because they don’t want to lose their convenience and drive far. HRS is amazing! However, the University is about to receive a wonderful gift/opportunity to own its own state of the art stadium, closer to home, and benefit everything that comes with it.

Only ones complaining are Broward fans because they don’t want to lose their convenience and drive far. HRS is amazing! However, the University is about to receive a wonderful gift/opportunity to own its own state of the art stadium, closer to home, and benefit everything that comes with it.

Right, people think the determining factor is how pretty, convenient, and loud it is. Sure, those are things but that is at the bottom when it comes to revenue. Advertising, parking, concessions, leasing agreements, the revenue for a consistently sold out facility is significant.

Right, people think the determining factor is how pretty, convenient, and loud it is. Sure, those are things but that is at the bottom when it comes to revenue. Advertising, parking, concessions, leasing agreements, the revenue for a consistently sold out facility is significant.
The University is missing on a lot of money renting at HRS.

I wonder if the Dolphins even care to have us any more. I’m sure it benefits them but these empty games can’t be doing much for them.

i live in the gables and its a trek for me which i dont enjoy, but fix the athletics department, fix the football program and everything else gets fixed with it.

a new stadium, IMO, is a secondary or tertiary consideration right now.

Advertisement
LOL - I say forget about the stadium, and half the posts in the thread relate to the **** stadium. Forget about it for a second!

The IPF is a good start, but it should NOT be considered our football facility. It's not enough. We need a standalone facility and the hiring of DRad makes me think the school thinks so too.

...where would a new football facility go?

With the hiring of DRad, I have to imagine the first thing he'd want to begin building towards is a Clemson-like football facility. So where would you put it?

I don't think it can be worked within the Hecht's current footprint, seeing as that's the headquarters for all sports and we can't afford to lose use of that space for the time it would take for construction.

I think the intramural fields would serve as a good location, but is it feasible? Where else on campus could something that large go?
Maybe we can move South Miami HS, Home of the Cobras 🐍

i live in the gables and its a trek for me which i dont enjoy, but fix the athletics department, fix the football program and everything else gets fixed with it.

a new stadium, IMO, is a secondary or tertiary consideration right now.
Call me crazy but I think that’s what we are literally doing; however, a strategy to build and fund for a stadium takes many years. If these people are serious about a new stadium, now is the time to begin the process.

Because people aren’t looking deeper than how loud or comfortable the stadium is. THE concern is the money. UM makes far more money selling out its OWN stadium than they do selling out a stadium they dont own. Own your sh*t. ALWAYS own your sh*t.
I'd love to know the financials around constructing, owning, maintaining and upgrading your own stadium.

For 8 games a year of say 50k fans, do you even break even?

Advertisement
The University is missing on a lot of money renting at HRS.

I wonder if the Dolphins even care to have us any more. I’m sure it benefits them but these empty games can’t be doing much for them.
I know for the DW Stadium in Wigan, which Wigan Athletic (the 'soccer' team) owns and Wigan Warriors (the Rugby League team) rents - Wigan Warriors pay a yearly rent fee and give all concessions to Wigan Athletic. They bank their own ticket fees though.

I'd love to know the financials around constructing, owning, maintaining and upgrading your own stadium.

For 8 games a year of say 50k fans, do you even break even?

Just look around the country. There is a reason **** near all major programs seek to build, renovate, own their own stadiums. Some schools dont break even, but Miami should not compare itself to those schools. Also, its not just 8 games. Advertising space goes beyond that, you lease out for other events, you get money off of everything with that. I saw an article before that talks about it but for schools with little attendance issues, they are raking in absurd money. Then you have to ask, how much of the stadium’s construction cost is paid for by another source? Ruiz is offering to pay for the whole stadium. Even if he is lying and only pays 25-50%, that is significant. Lastly, you NEVER want to leave your destiny in someone else's hands. A school should always seek to be in a position of POWER over their own facilities. If Ross (81) died tomorrow, who does the team go to? Do THEY want to keep doing business with UM? What if they dont, then what? Lease FIU? No man, if you gonna be a big time program, own your sh*t and YOU make the decisions.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Maybe they should start building high instead of thinking wide. Not sure how that would work but the architects get money to figure it out. Anything is possible with money. Our facilities are not terrible as people keep bringing up. Maybe now we have state of the art money to play with though
A vertical field would be some cutting edge ****...
Have to have some capable engineers to work out the details on that tho...

Again I dont think this Ruiz guy is thinking big enough. Why try to build a stadium next to campus?

Why not relocate UM closer to Hard Rock stadium? Now THAT would be leadership!!!
Or... Rent some space from the stadium and hold sports science classes there. Boom! on campus stadium!

Or... Rent some space from the stadium and hold sports science classes there. Boom! on campus stadium!

Great idea!!!

The way the owners of Hard Rock stadium roll, they'll let us build a satellite campus in one of the parking lot areas. lol

Advertisement
Back