For those who say we need an "offensive coach"

Advertisement
And last years teams to make playoffs:

Offense: 2nd, 6th, 14th, 25th Average: 11.75
Defense: 18th, 25th, 63rd, 64th Average: 42.75

Regardless of what it is, the proof is there that our offense is good enough to win. The defense is truly holding this team back. It needs to be addressed. No excuse what so ever for a team that should be recruiting the **** out of Sfla for our defense to be as bad as it is.
Do you watch the games? Where's the proof that our offense is good enough to win the amount that UM should expect to win?

Good enough to win in the ACC? You're telling me Brad Kaaya, when he plays, does not give us an advantage over every team we play maybe except Clemson? The OL is holding the unit back, obviously.

But, when I said the offense is good enough to win, I meant it as to the statistic D$ was pointing out in yards per play based off the previous championship teams he referenced.

You go get the best defensive coach in the country and pull in an average ranked recruiting class of 35 and you aint winning a NC.
You go get the best offensive coach in the country and pull in an average ranked recruiting class of 35 and you aint winning a NC.

You can have Saban and Chip Kelly and an avg ranked class of 35 and I will take Shannon and the number ones class in the country each year and I will beat you down like a dog every single year.

Not sure why in a league where you don't have fair drafts we don't realize that the talent barometer is such a major factor in success that its undeniable.

In fact every single stats you use to say something else proves that point, but for some reason we are blind to it.

Its why Saban himself tells you recruiting is the number one factor in coaching a successful program. And its the only reason why Miami is a goldmine. You dont come to Miami to out coach people. You come to Miami to out talent them.

Larry Coker won a NC guys!

Freaking Elmer Fudd won the title! He is 1-7 this year but he is a National Championship caliber coach.

Really seems like a dumb argument to me.

An avg defensive coach will have one the best defenses in the country if he has by far the best talent in the country.

An avg offensive coach will have one the best offences in the country if he has by far the best talent in the country.

Look what happens to these coaching gods when they go tot eh NFL and have to deal with parity.

Lets go play fantasy football and you give me the first 80 picks and then you go pick and lets see what happens.

That's literally what you would have in Miami. It would be impossible for Chip Kelly to have a bad defense in Miami.

Advertisement
Who cares whether our offense or defense sucks more. Neither is good enough. Picking a new head coach based on which one may or may not need more work is absolutely asinine.

This. I was shocked by the offensive yards/play numbers that D$ posted, and I'm not seeing those figures.

Here it is so you can see for yourself:

School Game Finder Query Results | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

The teams ranked ahead of Miami are the teams you would expect- Baylor, Oregon, FSU, Alabama, TAMU, Georgia and Wisconsin. Yards per play cuts through stylistic differences, which is why you see Alabama alongside Baylor and Oregon.

My eyes see an offense that has flaws but can also make huge chunk plays. We would've won a ton of games with this offense in the mid-2000s. It needs improvements to reach the championship level, particularly on 3rd down and in the red zone, but it's not as far away as people think. Especially when you have Brad Kaaya at quarterback.

Trust your eyes. Do your eyes tell you we have a very good offense that is only a better defense away from being lights out? Or do your eyes tell you that our offense, defense and STs are all pretty lousy?

This. I was shocked by the offensive yards/play numbers that D$ posted, and I'm not seeing those figures. Here's what I saw:

2011: 5.9 (29th)
2012: 6.3 (16th)
2013: 6.4 (16th)
2014: 6.5 (11th)
2015: 5.6 (45th)

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/yards-per-play?date=2015-11-06

Not sure where the average ranking of 10 came from.

My eyes tell me our offense is just as broken as the defense, and Coley is an atrocious coordinator:

total offense: 48th
scoring offense: 33rd
3rd down %: 96th
red zone %: 77th
TOP: 118th

total offense: 44th
scoring offense: 59th
3rd down %: 92nd
red zone %: 87th
TOP: 78th

total offense: 69th
scoring offense: 65th
3rd down %: 107th
red zone %: 64th
TOP: 65th

We don't accumulate a lot of yards, we don't score a lot, we don't capitalize in the red zone, and we don't stay on the field.

The O stinks just as much. I think the main difference is an elite talent like Duke Johnson can rip off a 70 yard run and make things look semi-competent, whereas defense needs cohesion.

Not only does our offense stink just as much as our defense to anyone watching the games and not scouring stat books to try to prove a point, but the next HC will enjoy more impact talent on the defensive side of the ball next year. It should be easier to field a competent D next year.

I'd sure love to see a guy finally take this local material and light up the scoreboard while fielding a good defense because I realize there's no such thing anymore as winning with only a suffocating D. The suffocating D has gone the way of the dodo bird. Give me a good competent D and an O that is impossible to defend loaded with rabbit chasing S FL speed.

Advertisement
Advertisement
It should be easier to field a competent D next year.

How so? The offense is already way ahead and, most importantly, brings back Brad Kaaya.
It's not way ahead just because you keep repeating it's way ahead. And the reason is simple: we'll have more talent and impact players on the D roster next year. The talent on the DL should be absurd.

I think it's harder to maintain continuity on offense, which is why a lot of defensive-minded coaches have co-OCs to mitigate the loss if one gets hired away. If you have an offensive coach, you don't have that issue.

Big Sky and Franchise made this point too and it's a fair one. But to use a reverse example, FSU's defense fell off a cliff when they lost Pruitt. That probably cost them a championship.

To be fair, FSU also lost a ton of experienced talent from that Stoops/Pruitt defense.

Yep, I've made that comment before - they lost their best DL (Jernigan), their top 2 LBs (CJones, Smith) and arguably their best playmaking DB (Joyner). Those are significant leaders to lose. They also lost a bunch of key reserves this year (also on offense).

The most important thing that everyone is overlooking in this is that Butch Davis is a God.

The who was that at UNC?

A ******* miracle worker. AKA a God.
What will you call Fedora this year when he eclipses Butch's 8 win peak at UNC?

I'll call him a guy who didn't have all his studs suspended this year.

And we are easily beating UNC this season.

Butch Koresh only coached one year at UNC? And Fedora hasn't had the NCAA killing him with 10 investigations of his program and actual probation? That's had no affect on his ability to get players or get any momentum going?

Advertisement
It should be easier to field a competent D next year.

How so? The offense is already way ahead and, most importantly, brings back Brad Kaaya.
It's not way ahead just because you keep repeating it's way ahead. And the reason is simple: we'll have more talent and impact players on the D roster next year. The talent on the DL should be absurd.

That's why I use stats and not just my opinion.

As for the DL, I have high hopes, but that's all they are for now. Brad Kaaya is proven and plays the most impactful position on the field.

The who was that at UNC?

A ******* miracle worker. AKA a God.
What will you call Fedora this year when he eclipses Butch's 8 win peak at UNC?

I'll call him a guy who didn't have all his studs suspended this year.

And we are easily beating UNC this season.

Butch Koresh only coached one year at UNC? And Fedora hasn't had the NCAA killing him with 10 investigations of his program and actual probation? That's had no affect on his ability to get players or get any momentum going?

I honestly don't know. I do know that he hasn't built a machine ready to destroy the ACC just in time for the NCAA to come tear it apart like what happened to Butch.

I'm a Butch slurper no doubt.

Another interesting stat from TeamRankings.com is points per play.

Miami in 2015 - 71st
Miami over the last 3 years (the entirety of James Coley's tenure as OC) - 84th

Overwhelming data combined with what we've all seen with our own eyes throughout Golden's tenure indicates that the offense is broken. Yards per play seems to be an extreme outlier. We're not remotely close on either side of the ball. The game continues to evolve throughout the country with top-tier programs competing with us for premier skill talent from our backyard lighting up the scoreboard and destroying opponents with high-powered offenses.

Fixing the defense is just as important. No one in their right mind would argue against that after what we've all witnessed for the past half decade. But I'm personally wary of defensive-minded candidates with an established track record of being overwhelmingly conservative, stubbornly opposed to evolving, and having abysmal production offensively during their head-coaching tenures. Part of what makes Gary Patterson such a great coach is that he's the exception to this.

DMoney is doing his best to try to get Strong or Pruitt hired, and Corley retained. He's the ultimate "hire a coach b/c of how he looks and acts" guy.

Frankly, this entire threads purpose is shameful.

Oh, and the best defense we ever had, statistically, was under Dennis.....an offensive coach.

I was going to post about defensive minded coaches but work kept getting in the way. If you look at our history of success and failure minus Golden and Randy because they were both in over their heads, defensive minded coaches have come in and laid the solid foundation for winning championships followed by offensive minded coaches that have returned things to rubble.

Huh?

Howard was an offensive guy. Out of 5 NCs, 4 were won with HCs with an offensive background.

I knew someone would bring up Schnelly. He is the exception. Although, I do wish he would have done for us stadium wise what he has done at every other school since leaving. You mentioned the 4 NCs but you clearly didn't comprehend with your big bold highlight what I said. Yes the offensive minded coaches won NCs with the talent left for them by Jimmy and Butch and then kindly proceeded to run the program into the ground.

Advertisement
Back