For those who say we need an "offensive coach"

And last years teams to make playoffs:

Offense: 2nd, 6th, 14th, 25th Average: 11.75
Defense: 18th, 25th, 63rd, 64th Average: 42.75

Regardless of what it is, the proof is there that our offense is good enough to win. The defense is truly holding this team back. It needs to be addressed. No excuse what so ever for a team that should be recruiting the **** out of Sfla for our defense to be as bad as it is.

Win what? Anyone who says our offense is championship caliber is delusional. And like I said, I think there is more high end talent on D then O right now.

Advertisement
Herman is the guy. As far as I can tell he's the only candidate that we can know for sure will have a top notch oc and dc (todd orlando). No wondering or guessing, oc and dc are taken care of. With Butch, who knows who we'll be getting as oc. He hired John Shoop to run his last offense.

Funete had a good defense last year, and his DC got hired by Missouri (they're top 10 in defense). This year the defense has taken a step back, but they lost 8 starters.

oregon and fsu were both terrible on defense. and guess what happened?

One made it to the final 4 and one made the NC game.

And, like every other year, the teams with horrid defenses don't win the whole thing.

And you don't win with a horrid offense either. Like I posted earlier, the last 7 years NC winners have on average had a higher ranked O then D.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't think we NEED an offensive coach. I just WANT an offensive coach.

I think it's harder to maintain continuity on offense, which is why a lot of defensive-minded coaches have co-OCs to mitigate the loss if one gets hired away. If you have an offensive coach, you don't have that issue. Muschamp had some beastly defenses at Florida, but his offenses were absolutely putrid because there was no coherent plan.

With south Florida talent, I think we'd have an easier time fielding good defenses year in and year out, irrespective of the DC (assuming we hire a smart head coach). Golden simply broke the defense with his ill-fated plan and stubbornness. If we continue to show more aggression like we did against Duke, I suspect our defense will improve THIS year. There's already a lot of talent in place.

College football is definitely trending toward offense. Yes, you need a good defense, but the Bama defenses of even 3 and 4 years ago seem like relics. We've seen tempo spreads give Saban problems. He even whined about the unfairness of tempo offenses.

Even Saban has capitulated and used more tempo along with bigger WR splits and one-back personnel.

Half of the teams in your stats actually rated HIGHER in yard per play on offense VS. defense, so not really sure what your stat proves.

It shows that championship teams are great at both, and that our offense is a lot closer to that level than our defense.

It also disproves the notion that it's "an offensive game now." Three of the past four champions were first overall on defense.

3rd down percentage on O

Advertisement
I think it's harder to maintain continuity on offense, which is why a lot of defensive-minded coaches have co-OCs to mitigate the loss if one gets hired away. If you have an offensive coach, you don't have that issue.

Big Sky and Franchise made this point too and it's a fair one. But to use a reverse example, FSU's defense fell off a cliff when they lost Pruitt. That probably cost them a championship.

I think it's harder to maintain continuity on offense, which is why a lot of defensive-minded coaches have co-OCs to mitigate the loss if one gets hired away. If you have an offensive coach, you don't have that issue.

Big Sky and Franchise made this point too and it's a fair one. But to use a reverse example, FSU's defense fell off a cliff when they lost Pruitt. That probably cost them a championship.

I think FSU had other issues beyond losing Pruitt. They lost 4 starters on defense, and they had a general championship hangover that lasted all season. Similarly, our 2002 team was loaded, yet still surrendered over 130 more points than the 2001 team. Despite it, FSU won 13 games in a row, and made it to the semifinals because of their offense.

Let's also not forget that stats can be very misleading based on the style of football you're playing. Our defensive stats looked pretty decent last year if you didn't actually watch the games. They looked decent because Folden took the air out of the ball on offense and was basically running a 4 corner stall offense to protect his horrible defense. But if you just look at stats and don't put them in context or pay attention to college football you'd think we were pretty good defensively last year.

Trust your eyes. Do your eyes tell you we have a very good offense that is only a better defense away from being lights out? Or do your eyes tell you that our offense, defense and STs are all pretty lousy?

Also, UM's HC would be wise to take the best and most advantage of the natural resources in his backyard. Most would agree that those incredible resources would best fit a speed system where you make slower guys try to play in space against our smaller much faster guys.

If you're in Wisconsin or Nebraska you're best bet is to build your team around big nasty OL and DL and a running game. If you're in Miami then you're doing UM a tremendous disservice by not tapping most effectively the tremendous resources within a stone's throw of your office.

Get the best guy who takes the best advantage of the local material. When you do that you are putting offense, defense and STs in the best position to succeed.

And it shouldn't take 4 years to make this a winning program. If you know what you're doing you should be able to step in and win immediately. And I ain't talking about 8 wins and a bucket of "he needs time to change the culture" excuses while we lose to teams like UVA and Puke who don't have anywhere near the material we do.

Yards per play is one of my favorite stats. It captures the effectiveness of a unit independent of other factors, like pace. For example, Alabama's 2012 offense ranked only 44th in total yards. But they were 7th in the nation in yards per play.

Yards per play correlates with championships. Here are the last twelve champions and their national rankings in offensive and defensive yards per play:

'14 Ohio State (4th in offense, 11th in defense)
'13 FSU (1st in offense, 1st in defense)
'12 Alabama (7th in offense, 1st in defense)
'11 Alabama (10th in offense, 1st in defense)
'10 Auburn (3rd in offense, 47th in defense)
'09 Alabama (28th in offense, 7th in defense)
'08 Florida (7th in offense, 10th in defense)
'07 LSU (34th in offense, 5th in defense)
'06 Florida (18th in offense, 12th in defense)
'05 Texas (2nd in offense, 9th in defense)
'04 USC (7th in offense, 4th in defense)
'03 USC (6th in offense, 9th in defense)

Three of the last four champions finished first in the nation in yards per play allowed. Nine of the past twelve finished in the Top 10, and only Cam Newton's Auburn team finished outside the Top 15.

Which brings me to Miami. Since the Golden era began, Miami's offense is 10th nationally in yards per play. The only Power 5 teams above Miami are Baylor, Oregon, FSU, Alabama, Texas A&M, Georgia and Wisconsin.

The defense hasn't fared as well. They are 74th in the nation over the same period.

Whoever we get needs to fix the defense, immediately. It is the most pressing issue facing the program.

I don't get this argument . 9 of the 12 offenses were top 10. 9 of the 12 defenses were top 10.

What was proven? Those teams had good offenses and good defenses. And all had the best talent , majority had the best coach. So what did we figure out?

Great talent with majority of the teams having great coaching. Wow.

Pretty deep stuff.
LULZ. I'm glad there are some who noticed that. This stat list proves nothing other than that the teams with the best talent, best coaches and good offense and defense win the most games. I doubt anyone would dispute that.

Advertisement
Yards per play is one of my favorite stats. It captures the effectiveness of a unit independent of other factors, like pace. For example, Alabama's 2012 offense ranked only 44th in total yards. But they were 7th in the nation in yards per play.

Yards per play correlates with championships. Here are the last twelve champions and their national rankings in offensive and defensive yards per play:

'14 Ohio State (4th in offense, 11th in defense)
'13 FSU (1st in offense, 1st in defense)
'12 Alabama (7th in offense, 1st in defense)
'11 Alabama (10th in offense, 1st in defense)
'10 Auburn (3rd in offense, 47th in defense)
'09 Alabama (28th in offense, 7th in defense)
'08 Florida (7th in offense, 10th in defense)
'07 LSU (34th in offense, 5th in defense)
'06 Florida (18th in offense, 12th in defense)
'05 Texas (2nd in offense, 9th in defense)
'04 USC (7th in offense, 4th in defense)
'03 USC (6th in offense, 9th in defense)

Three of the last four champions finished first in the nation in yards per play allowed. Nine of the past twelve finished in the Top 10, and only Cam Newton's Auburn team finished outside the Top 15.

Which brings me to Miami. Since the Golden era began, Miami's offense is 10th nationally in yards per play. The only Power 5 teams above Miami are Baylor, Oregon, FSU, Alabama, Texas A&M, Georgia and Wisconsin.

The defense hasn't fared as well. They are 74th in the nation over the same period.

Whoever we get needs to fix the defense, immediately. It is the most pressing issue facing the program.

I don't get this argument . 9 of the 12 offenses were top 10. 9 of the 12 defenses were top 10.

What was proven? Those teams had good offenses and good defenses. And all had the best talent , majority had the best coach. So what did we figure out?

Great talent with majority of the teams having great coaching. Wow.

Pretty deep stuff.
LULZ. I'm glad there are some who noticed that. This stat list proves nothing other than that the teams with the best talent, best coaches and good offense and defense win the most games. I doubt anyone would dispute that.

If you have more points on the scoreboard than the other team when the clock runs out you usually win.

Not sure why so many people are arguing. What the man posted is irrefutable. Defense wins championships. Always has, always will.

Fix the defense, improve our short yardage offense (3rd down/goalline).. which will fix the TOP issue. It really is that simple.

Because the stats that he posted say that offense is equally important.
Exactly. These John Madden cliché dudes seem to be conveniently ignoring that.

Another interesting stat from TeamRankings.com is points per play.

Miami in 2015 - 71st
Miami over the last 3 years (the entirety of James Coley's tenure as OC) - 84th

Overwhelming data combined with what we've all seen with our own eyes throughout Golden's tenure indicates that the offense is broken. Yards per play seems to be an extreme outlier. We're not remotely close on either side of the ball. The game continues to evolve throughout the country with top-tier programs competing with us for premier skill talent from our backyard lighting up the scoreboard and destroying opponents with high-powered offenses.

Fixing the defense is just as important. No one in their right mind would argue against that after what we've all witnessed for the past half decade. But I'm personally wary of defensive-minded candidates with an established track record of being overwhelmingly conservative, stubbornly opposed to evolving, and having abysmal production offensively during their head-coaching tenures. Part of what makes Gary Patterson such a great coach is that he's the exception to this.

Advertisement

Regardless of what it is, the proof is there that our offense is good enough to win. The defense is truly holding this team back. It needs to be addressed. No excuse what so ever for a team that should be recruiting the **** out of Sfla for our defense to be as bad as it is.
Do you watch the games? Where's the proof that our offense is good enough to win the amount that UM should expect to win?

Exactly. These John Madden cliché dudes seem to be conveniently ignoring that.

The entire premise of what he was saying is that we have a lot longer way to go at fixing the defense verses the offense. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out but he used statistics to show just how bad the problem is/how far we have to go.

Trust your eyes. Do your eyes tell you we have a very good offense that is only a better defense away from being lights out? Or do your eyes tell you that our offense, defense and STs are all pretty lousy?

This. I was shocked by the offensive yards/play numbers that D$ posted, and I'm not seeing those figures. Here's what I saw:

2011: 5.9 (29th)
2012: 6.3 (16th)
2013: 6.4 (16th)
2014: 6.5 (11th)
2015: 5.6 (45th)

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/yards-per-play?date=2015-11-06

Not sure where the average ranking of 10 came from.

My eyes tell me our offense is just as broken as the defense, and Coley is an atrocious coordinator:

total offense: 48th
scoring offense: 33rd
3rd down %: 96th
red zone %: 77th
TOP: 118th

total offense: 44th
scoring offense: 59th
3rd down %: 92nd
red zone %: 87th
TOP: 78th

total offense: 69th
scoring offense: 65th
3rd down %: 107th
red zone %: 64th
TOP: 65th

We don't accumulate a lot of yards, we don't score a lot, we don't capitalize in the red zone, and we don't stay on the field.

The O stinks just as much. I think the main difference is an elite talent like Duke Johnson can rip off a 70 yard run and make things look semi-competent, whereas defense needs cohesion.

To be fair, FSU also lost a ton of experienced talent from that Stoops/Pruitt defense.

Advertisement
Back