For all the Flagg haters, He looked quick enough to me

Glad to see a lot of folks on here understanding that praising Flagg's play is a slap in the face to what being a good Linebacker at UM has meant for decades now. SInce last year, i have been pointing this out on this site. Most responses were telling me I was stupid.

Flagg may have had his best game to date on Saturday- and it was still terrible. One of his tackles the RB ran directly towards him- pretty much trucked him. He did a good job by staying put I suppose. His other tackle was good. The half tackle for loss was right time right place (two other canes really made the play without him). Other than that, he was either so much slower than the RB or would just get eaten up by a blocker that he did not seem to be anywhere near the play. At the game, you could see numerous occasions where a better athlete may have gotten himself into a position to make a play. Once a bama O lineman seemed to fling him backwards only using his fingers. I am sure he is smart and heads to the correct spot based on what is happening, but it is just too slow. He is not the answer. He is actually a glaring weakness.

Advertisement
People on here, dont seem to know when talent is a problem and when its coaching. When you face LSU, Clemson twice, UNC, Bama, Ok st(came back) and other and those games are over by the 2nd quarter starts, thats not talent. Bama had the ball 37 minutes, we allowed 3.9 yards per rush. Doesnt sound like a team physically overmatched to me. If King doesn't get the offense going and making better reads against lesser competition than Bama it may be time to try TVD. Our offense can be like UNC last season or better. I hope the coaches get critical of themselves first and then every player afterwards
Ain’t no way in **** I’m benching King ..let alone for TVD

Is Flagg Jonathan Vilma or Denzel Perryman? Nope. But by normal Miami standards he'd be a good backup MLB - nothing more, nothing less. He was a 3* guy we signed and he's actually playing better than I or anyone should expect. He's not our problem.

Our problem is our coaches doing a lackluster job at prioritizing the LB position for the past 5 years. Can't be mad at Trevor Ariza for not being LeBron.

Not worried about quickness. Worried a bit about his size. Part of this worry is the play of the dline. Saw a couple of plays where Flagg was up against an olineman down field on a running play. That's a mismatch for any LB and especially an undersized one. Are our guys shooting gaps instead of holding their guy up for the LBs to make tackles, or are they just outscheming us to get the mismatch?

People on here, dont seem to know when talent is a problem and when its coaching. When you face LSU, Clemson twice, UNC, Bama, Ok st(came back) and other and those games are over by the 2nd quarter starts, thats not talent. Bama had the ball 37 minutes, we allowed 3.9 yards per rush. Doesnt sound like a team physically overmatched to me. If King doesn't get the offense going and making better reads against lesser competition than Bama it may be time to try TVD. Our offense can be like UNC last season or better. I hope the coaches get critical of themselves first and then every player afterwards
man King isn't getting benched this year. They love him. I agree he seems to be limiting the offense but unless the train falls of the tracks its King all the way

Advertisement
Ain’t no way in **** I’m benching King ..let alone for TVD
Our offensive operation was executing better in the bowl game under Perry than it was with King. He doesn't read the options well. Not the throw or pass or the keep or hand off. Im suee you're right but if they want to build for now and the future they would be veru critical of King and they must find ways to get these guys ready to play now

I could see him play well last year and everyone kept picking on him because he wasn't lighting fast. He looked plenty fast against the best team in the country. I think we've got MLB on lock down for this year and two more. As long as he continues to refine his body, he can play himself into an ALL ACC player.
I will admit I was pleasantly surprised to see Flagg make a few flash plays. He has potential because he is a student of the game. I'll make a final assessment after North Carolina.

man King isn't getting benched this year. They love him. I agree he seems to be limiting the offense but unless the train falls of the tracks its King all the way
You and those like you are ignoramus'. Replay breakdown evidence is all around you. It clearly displays King operated very efficiently and effectively during those rare moments when he wasn't being harassed and harmed by a porous and lethargic OL. Yet you continue to spread your bile on this site.

When you have to go back roughly two decades to say it's an insult to so and so, maybe it's time to revise your criteria for what a decent to good linebacker looks like here.

Twenty years. Guess what, those guys aren't walking back through the smoke. It's time you start comparing players to what has been a down time for us.

Maybe these guys can build it back up. **** isn't going to happen overnight. If not though, I still see it as an unfair comparison as we're likely to never reach those heights again in today's football climate.

Should we just keep saying these guys suck? They aren't as good as so and so? They aren't up to our standards, whatever the **** that is as you're fans, nothing else.

He can and will improve. That's positive and let's see what he does against teams that aren't full of future NFL draft picks before we try kicking him down. **** is tiresome and disrespectful to all players who sweat at Greentree.

Advertisement
You and those like you are ignoramus'. Replay breakdown evidence is all around you. It clearly displays King operated very efficiently and effectively during those rare moments when he wasn't being harassed and harmed by a porous and lethargic OL. Yet you continue to spread your bile on this site.

Both sides seem to stretch their side pretty far.

King did alright. He didn't get much help from Lashlee or his OL. King last year would've taken off on a lot of those plays, but he's fresh off injury and obviously tentative.

Lashlee called the game like he had last years King all healthy pre-injury. He did change it up early in the second half and we saw some success. That's how the entire game should've gone.

I have no fault with King this game. I'm glad he made it out injury free.

Advertisement
I will admit I was pleasantly surprised to see Flagg make a few flash plays. He has potential because he is a student of the game. I'll make a final assessment after North Carolina.
That's totally fair.

Flagg played better than all of our backers imo...still has to work on taking better angles tho...

I could see him play well last year and everyone kept picking on him because he wasn't lighting fast. He looked plenty fast against the best team in the country. I think we've got MLB on lock down for this year and two more. As long as he continues to refine his body, he can play himself into an ALL ACC player.
Sigh

We gave up 160 rushing and a billion passing yards and you crowning him????

Advertisement
I liked the athletic profile. That was a positive for me. Instinctually though, not there yet. Still saw too many missteps, incorrect diag’s, and indecision. But that might come. You can’t really become a much better athlete. You can learn the nuances of a position. So I’m optimistic.

Flagg and Smith at linebacker..11 and 4..sprinkle N Steed and Brooks ..6 and 17..plzzz leave 44 on the sideline or special team or transfer..bye…By the way.. I think McCloud may have a good year..N my Opinion

Flagg would be a great #2 MLB on the depth chart, but we can do a lot better in the starting line up. The problem is no quality linebackers want to play in this gimmicky defense bc it’s a terrible scheme to play in for linebackers.
Lets Go Thumbs Up GIF by ESPN

Advertisement
Back