Florida Game 1 5:30 SEC Network/SEC Network+

Advertisement
Lance you seem like a knowledgeable guy. Sincerely. Look at the best teams in the country. Why do they win in Omaha every year? The little things. You think those guys they recruit are better than the studs we recruit here in soflo? I don’t think so

raw talent, we have the greatest talent pool in country much like football

development isn’t big down here.
Teams win in Omaha with pitching and being able to manufacture runs in that ballpark. Generally, experienced teams who are gritty and can control the strike zone win in Omaha.

No doubt Miami shoots themselves in the foot. No doubt about it. My biggest complaint with Miami is continually a lack of mental toughness.

But they practice fundamentals. They work on situational baseball.

They just aren't as good as Florida and haven't been in years and probably won't be any time soon. Certainly not in any sustainable way.

I’d go get him...and Gino does
Yeah, I truly believe Gino is going to need to manage that situation this year. Perhaps using some sort of tandem with Federman, where he is yanked quickly the third time through if he isn't cruising. Piggy-backed with a Jake Smith or other explosive arm that can go all-out for two innings is a viable strategy in my view.

How do you know we don't practice the little things?

Do you honestly believe that Miami doesn't practice baserunning? Or fielding fundamentals? Do you think they just show up and try and hit bombs for a couple hours a day?
Can’t say how they practice on non-scrimmage days, but the way Gino runs scrimmages is night and day different/better than what Morris was doing. That first year was an amazing breath of fresh air.

Advertisement
Can’t say how they practice on non-scrimmage days, but the way Gino runs scrimmages is night and day different/better than what Morris was doing. That first year was an amazing breath of fresh air.
I can tell you a lot of people who did not like what was happening under Morris are happy with what Gino is doing.

No doubt we are all frustrated at the losing to Florida. I was more upset last year. They absolutely gave that away and at some point it does fall to the manager to fix it somehow.

Will be interesting to see if any changes come down the pike after this series.

Teams win in Omaha with pitching and being able to manufacture runs in that ballpark. Generally, experienced teams who are gritty and can control the strike zone win in Omaha.

No doubt Miami shoots themselves in the foot. No doubt about it. My biggest complaint with Miami is continually a lack of mental toughness.

But they practice fundamentals. They work on situational baseball.

They just aren't as good as Florida and haven't been in years and probably won't be any time soon. Certainly not in any sustainable way.
Manufacture runs in the ball park has to do with coaching. You can argue all you want but the approach at the plate comes from the coaching staff...we can’t score runs with risp to save our life for last decade plus... and here we are with same coaching staff producing same results

Advertisement
I think it hit the chalk
Nothing came up, besides Toral run was close
How do you know we don't practice the little things?

Do you honestly believe that Miami doesn't practice baserunning? Or fielding fundamentals? Do you think they just show up and try and hit bombs for a couple hours a day?

Even if they do, the coach needs to emphasize it more cause clearly is not working.

Manufacture runs in the ball park has to do with coaching. You can argue all you want but the approach at the plate comes from the coaching staff...we can’t score runs with risp to save our life for last decade plus... and here we are with same coaching staff producing same results
Fair enough. We do struggle with situational awareness at times. I think it's more to do with a shallow lineup forcing players to try and do too much and certain hitters just not being good at making contact.

Also have to remember the opponent is on scholarship as well.

Considering we supposedly have the best recruiting class in the country, what is holding us back from being as good as Florida?

Advertisement
Advertisement
The other guys are on scholarship is exactly the subject.

What that means is they are good. It's literally what it means.

UF being able to offer baseball scholarships is not an excuse for Miami, who also gives out baseball scholarships, to lose year after year.

Don't change the subject. "The other guys are on scholarship too" is a lame excuse for how far our program has fallen.
I just work here, so it's whatever you guys want to see, but if I give my thoughts on this it'll be quite unpopular.

College baseball has changed. It's going to get far more competitive in the near future, not less so.

Advertisement
Back