Fletcher Westphal 4* 2024 OT from the DMV

Advertisement
Yea he isnt really from the area i would usually say to target...

Im thinking the Upper Marlboro, Silver Spring, Pg county area, or maybe even in Arlington northern va would have some players every so often.

Im find with Baltimore as wlel as ST frances is a juggernaut think we should get a foot in there too.

Agree with this and @RVACane. When I hear DMV, I think fairfax/alexandria counties, PG, DC and parts of Montgomery county. Honestly, in Montgomery county (where I live), I think there are 2 main schools heads and shoulders above all else - Good Counsel and Dematha. Outside of that, it's average comp imo. PG county is solid, though. Baltimore, although not technically "DMV" has some really solid programs as well.

I liken Leesburg to frederick county, as RVA says but those places are like 1 hour away from DC. It's like when Jordan Addison transferred to DMV, people were talking about maybe there's a DMV connection with him and Caleb. Addison is from Frederick and Caleb in DC - those two couldn't possibly be further apart in terms of culture, etc. It's like saying miami to palm beach

Tripp is from BALITMORE......NOT THE DMV.

A baltimore dude would go crazy about that...like calling a broward kid being from MIAMI.
Lesson learned! Thanks for the info.

Rasta and Dave need that info too cause they're the ones that asked the question.

I know Frederick like the back of my hand. Maybe better than anyone on CIS. I’d consider it the Maryland version of Leesburg as it relates to DC in the DMV sense but it’s on the periphery. Frederick City and Urbana are one thing but Frederick County also has places like Emmitsburg and Brunswick like Loudoun has Lucketts and Lovettsville.

People who aren’t familiar with these places don’t realize how night and day those peripheral Counties are within those Counties. Like Frederick City has a somewhat cosmopolitan vibe downtown but it gets into podunk and opioid epidemic territory really fast.

Yeah, my personal experience with Frederick is driving through the area on the way to the Virginia vineyards and Harper's Ferry area....lol...speaking of areas not entirely DC or Baltimore, I would look at Annapolis....it appears it is 50/50 between the Redskins and Ravens fans.

Agree with this and @RVACane. When I hear DMV, I think fairfax/alexandria counties, PG, DC and parts of Montgomery county. Honestly, in Montgomery county (where I live), I think there are 2 main schools heads and shoulders above all else - Good Counsel and Dematha. Outside of that, it's average comp imo. PG county is solid, though. Baltimore, although not technically "DMV" has some really solid programs as well.

I liken Leesburg to frederick county, as RVA says but those places are like 1 hour away from DC. It's like when Jordan Addison transferred to DMV, people were talking about maybe there's a DMV connection with him and Caleb. Addison is from Frederick and Caleb in DC - those two couldn't possibly be further apart in terms of culture, etc. It's like saying miami to palm beach

Believe it or not alot of these kids know each other in spite of distance and cultural differences thanks to the private schools, 7v7 teams, etc...Good Counsel in MontCo, DeMatha in PG, St John's in DC, etc have considerable overlap in respective talent pools. They draw from DC, MD and Nova burbs as well as suburbs as far as Annapolis, Balt burbs...very comparable to STA and American Heritage in that regard.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Believe it or not alot of these kids each other in spite of distance and cultural differences thanks to the private schools, 7v7 teams, etc...Good Counsel in MontCo, DeMatha in PG, St John's in DC, etc have considerable overlap in respective talent pools. They draw from DC, MD and Nova burbs as far as Annapolis, Balt burbs...very comparable to STA and American Heritage in that regard.
They could know each other but Addison was at a public school in Frederick. It’s the one in Ballenger Creek - the name slips my mind - Tuscarora Knolls???

Believe it or not alot of these kids each other in spite of distance and cultural differences thanks to the private schools, 7v7 teams, etc...Good Counsel in MontCo, DeMatha in PG, St John's in DC, etc have considerable overlap in respective talent pools. They draw from DC, MD and Nova burbs as far as Annapolis, Balt burbs...very comparable to STA and American Heritage in that regard.
Would love to get more of the Dematha, Good counsel, Gonzaga, St John’s kids and Baltimore has some good programs, like St Francis and McDonough. Most highly ranked kids aren’t attached to playing for the terps and are open to going out of state, usually Penn state or Ohio state. I know Mario got a highly ranked receiver out of one of those Baltimore catholic schools a couple classes ago too

So the competition they play is pretty good. I want to say they play in the 4A division. They play a couple of playoff contenders like Briar Woods, Broad Run and Heritage. Went 8-2 last year before losing in the regional finals to Broad Run, who was one of their regular season losses. That area usually has a few guys that are 4 star guys and a number of other P5 guys as well.

There are even places in Montgomery County that aren’t DMV to me. Like Brian Bresee is from Damascus which is out by Frederick County, Maryland and is more country. PG schools, scattered select players at Montgomery and Frederick County schools and then the Montgomery County privates like Good Counsel and Bullis are the DMV schools on the MD side of DC.
correct thats what i was getting at. Then DC ppl ...dont consider themselves to be...DMV. Its interesting with the state line crossing you through in tht area...and the swift difference in culture. Im also saying this as someone who just traveled from the area on tuesday lol. Got cousins in..DC, Alexandria...then Upper Marlboro who I have to see and all are different...(same family tree)

Advertisement
Good call with Pittsburgh. Very comparable. I’ve seen some good players all over VA. I’ve lived in the Fairfax, Loudoun, Richmond and Hampton Roads areas on the Virginia side. Hampton Roads has some good football. Between Hampton, Chesapeake and Virginia Beach, there’s some talent there.
Thats the area i have been pining for us to recruit for maybe 10 years on here.

VA TECH who to me after fsu is my most hated rival....HAS LIVED off of DMV and 757 talent...No reason we shouldnt have been hurting them by pulling kids from up there...who wouldve been open to coming here (i played college ball with about 10 kids from the area and they clicked with the florida players easily).

In fact i remember trying to send to our coaches a kid before he blew up who was coached by one of my boys....kid ended up hurting us everytime we played UNC where he signed and was drafted.

I was on him early and thought he could play for us.

In this class my friends/former teammate son will be a player and I wanted ot put him on as well.

He reminds me of Chase Smith a bit.

But gonna say...UNC has made there insurgence into the area...VA TECH with their sorry coach who couldnt recruit really left it wide open for the take...we didnt jump in ...but they did..they will be pillaging there for awhile.

*AREAS id like for us to recruit yearly....Prop Joe points.

*DMV
*TIDEWATER ARE (Hampton, Newport News,VA BEACH)
*NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA

Every year would like a presence in those 3...aside from the typical ga,tx runs that we normally should be in....Im guessing the Pacific Northwest may be a slight factor the next 2 cycles.

There are even places in Montgomery County that aren’t DMV to me. Like Brian Bresee is from Damascus which is out by Frederick County, Maryland and is more country. PG schools, scattered select players at Montgomery and Frederick County schools and then the Montgomery County privates like Good Counsel and Bullis are the DMV schools on the MD side of DC.
100% I don't consider Frederick the DMV. Maybe it's the bias of having inner beltway family (Silver Spring, Takoma Park, Arlington, Alexandria) exclusively, but Frederick is a bridge too far.

You beat me to it.

Advertisement
Thats the area i have been pining for us to recruit for maybe 10 years on here.

VA TECH who to me after fsu is my most hated rival....HAS LIVED off of DMV and 757 talent...No reason we shouldnt have been hurting them by pulling kids from up there...who wouldve been open to coming here (i played college ball with about 10 kids from the area and they clicked with the florida players easily).

In fact i remember trying to send to our coaches a kid before he blew up who was coached by one of my boys....kid ended up hurting us everytime we played UNC where he signed and was drafted.

I was on him early and thought he could play for us.

In this class my friends/former teammate son will be a player and I wanted ot put him on as well.

He reminds me of Chase Smith a bit.

But gonna say...UNC has made there insurgence into the area...VA TECH with their sorry coach who couldnt recruit really left it wide open for the take...we didnt jump in ...but they did..they will be pillaging there for awhile.

*AREAS id like for us to recruit yearly....Prop Joe points.

*DMV
*TIDEWATER ARE (Hampton, Newport News,VA BEACH)
*NEW ORLEANS, LOUISIANA

Every year would like a presence in those 3...aside from the typical ga,tx runs that we normally should be in....Im guessing the Pacific Northwest may be a slight factor the next 2 cycles.

Will be interesting to see how both new staffs of UVA and VT recruit that area as neither has been able to sign the top tier guys for the past decade. Right now Dre Bly walks into any highschool and that area and takes who he wants....Glad Ricks move away from that area and down to IMG.

Dunbar Poets from Baltimore is a **** good program as well, Best player I’ve seen at the high school level went through there by the name of Tavon Austin. Also the school that Tupac Shakur attended. I live in Cumberland west of Hagerstown and usually watch both high schools from my city if they make it deep into the playoffs. I graduated from Fort Hill and the rival city school Allegany faced Dunbar 3 straight years in the playoff championship with Dunbar winning all 3 matchups, 3rd time was close between FH and Dunbar. Austin just amazed me with his quickness, I mean I was blown away. Nothing but respect for Dunbar. Ben Tate played for Snow Hill which is SE of Salisbury Maryland close to Ocean City. Ty Johnson that played for Maryland and then drafted by the Lions played at my high school. So yes Maryland does have some talent as well as the Delmarva area. It would be nice to see us gain more traction in that area.

Yeah, my personal experience with Frederick is driving through the area on the way to the Virginia vineyards and Harper's Ferry area....lol...speaking of areas not entirely DC or Baltimore, I would look at Annapolis....it appears it is 50/50 between the Redskins and Ravens fans.
OMG! You said Redskins. You are in trouble mister.

Advertisement
The friends I know who grew up rooting for the Skins, still call them Skins....not that Washington football team or Commander *******.
Yeah, that's a bunch of crap. Today I heard someone call the Indians the Guardians. This new and improved culture we live in sucks!
Sorry if I offended anyone... or maybe last comment makes me part of the soft woke culture.

Advertisement
Back