Fishing Question

Severn River - over by Annapolis??? What have you caught from shore and which areas?

Blood worms are big. Those fûckers bite too. In Virginia Beach there’s a nice bait shop in a high end area with live eels and things. I never saw shrimp there. It’s been years though.
Big difference with Florida and Virginia fishing. What have you caught there in the past that's good table fair.

Advertisement
Big difference with Florida and Virginia fishing. What have you caught there in the past that's good table fair.
I’m a Caribbean-centric guy so I like what you get down there. The best thing to me really is rockfish (stripers). After that it’s a huge drop to puppy drum, croakers... sea bass is good if you can catch one big enough. I’ve gotten flounder as well and that’s pretty good for what it is.

Ok I ain't going to second guess what tricks a proven captain employs... I guess the mangroves start moving up similar to yellows in the frenzy with chum. I've done well by staying down but I'd be interested to try that tactic on good bottom like you explained, when if ever I get another boat.
I have low back issues associated with a level of early sideways scoliosis... seems that a nerve is getting squeezed on my right side.
Look up a good Chiro near you that has traction machines and ask if you are a candidate for its use. Its cleared up slipped disk issues ive had in the past and it also works extremely well on the Socratic nerve issue in the lower back.

I’m a Caribbean-centric guy so I like what you get down there. The best thing to me really is rockfish (stripers). After that it’s a huge drop to puppy drum, croakers... sea bass is good if you can catch one big enough. I’ve gotten flounder as well and that’s pretty good for what it is.
Yea... I like southern fish that are versatile (snappers, groupers, dolphin, cobia, snook and others.) Firm flesh fish can be fried, baked or broiled. For instance flounder is good fish but it's only good to bake cause it's very soft flesh and falls apart. However, sea bass is a fish that's not available here but is super fine eating.

I live in DC and it’s going to be 40 the next few days and I want to go salt water fishing for rockfish, perch, etc.

Is it too cold? And what kind of jigs should I use? I’m fishing off piers and the inland. No boat lol

Reached out to all my striper buddies and the only info I have received concerning anywhere near that area is Lake Anna following the gulls which is by far my favorite fish finder this time of year. Sorry can’t be of more help. Hope you have some luck finding something to burn some line and will post more if I hear anything.

Advertisement
Yea... I like southern fish that are versatile (snappers, groupers, dolphin, cobia, snook and others.) Firm flesh fish can be fried, baked or broiled. For instance flounder is good fish but it's only good to bake cause it's very soft flesh and falls apart. However, sea bass is a fish that's not available here but is super fine eating.
You’d like Rockfish a lot I think. I love grouper.

You’d like Rockfish a lot I think. I love grouper.
Is this what you are calling rockfish?
16.png

Advertisement
Never caught or ate one. I always have known it as stripped bass. I do know that they can live in freshwater, and have been introduced into many man-made lakes around the country when they dammed rivers.
We have a lot of fish like that here I noticed. You can catch striped bass, croakers and spots in the rivers in from the bay. I don’t remember if flounder goes in the rivers.

We have a lot of fish like that here I noticed. You can catch striped bass, croakers and spots in the rivers in from the bay. I don’t remember if flounder goes in the rivers.
I had an old friend that passed away who lived in S. Carolina and would gig flounders in shallow river inlets in sandy bottom. I believe they won't go into brackish water and stay in mostly salty water.
Do you go fishing in the DR?

I had an old friend that passed away who lived in S. Carolina and would gig flounders in shallow river inlets in sandy bottom. I believe they won't go into brackish water and stay in mostly salty water.
Do you go fishing in the DR?
I tried from the shore. I get sick on the water now. That happened in Puerto Rico. Caught and ate a Lion Fish and that was delicious.

I’m honestly the worst fisherman in the hemisphere. I just enjoy the calm peace and hopeful excitement of catching anything.

Advertisement
Bro, I’m in Maryland but I used to go for stripers in Virginia Beach/Norfolk by the HRBT. There’s a beach over there after you get through the túnel headed East on the left. People wade in there and toss by the bridge and pilons. Much easier with a boat. There are also boats that used to go out by LaPlata/Solomon’s island by the shore. Not sure what options they have there or by Colonial Beach but probably worth a look. Either way like tpabay said, call the nearest tackle shop. Make sure you get a fishing license as well and the tackle people can tell you size limits. Virginia has licenses available on line and also at Walmart I think.
Had a good friend who took his boat right under the HBRT, and he caught so much fish, ( variety of fish at that location), he started taking orders for restaurants, and almost paid for the **** boat I am talking thousands of $$$$$$$$.

The piers, bridge supports, and pylons were perfect....on both sides of the tunnel.

Loved it because he made money while enjoying his hobby...
We would ask well where do you set up?, and he would just smile........

Fishermen are so tight re their spots, that they will never give them up, unless under duress.......LOL.

Nothing wrong with Flounder. I make at least one trip a year to the Gulf for some flounder.

Advertisement
Never caught or ate one. I always have known it as stripped bass. I do know that they can live in freshwater, and have been introduced into many man-made lakes around the country when they dammed rivers.
I believe they're might be a time of year they run off Jacksonville beach. I could be wrong though.

Advertisement
Back