Fishing Question

Man fishing is so different up here. I fish off the Severn river and the Chesapeake. I’m from Tampa and you can throw a shrimp on and catch snook, reds, mangrove snapper, trout, EVERYTHING! Up here it’s almost like I have no clue how to fish now. They use blood worms up here which are 14 dollars a dozen, soft crab, spinners etc. NOBODY uses shrimp. It’s crazy. A lot of folks say it’s harder to fish up here without a boat but I’ve found Nuuumerous places to throw the line out.

Advertisement
I'd love to give you advice but I'm a S. Florida fisherman... please post your fishing pictures and/or what you ended up doing. You are welcome to PM me about Florida fishing... actually I'm going fishing tonight in the Keys.
Nice. I grew up in Key Largo. I spent my whole childhood trying to get the **** out of the place and now I'm spending the rest of my trying to get back. Live in Orlando now and still make it back down there about 6 times a year. Whatya fishing for and where ya headed?

GO CANES!!!!!

Advertisement
Man fishing is so different up here. I fish off the Severn river and the Chesapeake. I’m from Tampa and you can throw a shrimp on and catch snook, reds, mangrove snapper, trout, EVERYTHING! Up here it’s almost like I have no clue how to fish now. They use blood worms up here which are 14 dollars a dozen, soft crab, spinners etc. NOBODY uses shrimp. It’s crazy. A lot of folks say it’s harder to fish up here without a boat but I’ve found Nuuumerous places to throw the line out.

If you think $14 a dozen is a lot, be lucky you don't fish for Tarpon with crabs, you'd have to mortgage your house around Boca Grande for a dozen this past season.

Mangroove snapper fishing is simple. Chum heavy heavy heavy and cast farther back for the big boys. Also depending on the speed of the current you want to try and keep your bait in the same depth of your chum. If current is cooking you chum will be higher up and thats the zone you want your baits.
Congrats...

Advertisement
hahaha no ****?? I remember getting bait from a guy in miami who called himself gruntking that same guy???
Ok... here's the story. In 1974 I was taking my work buddies fishing down in the Keys with my 20' Dolphin open fisherman. When I went to get bait and go to the bathroom, one of the jokers took a roll of duct-tape and went to the transom and spelled out GRUNTKING. I was unaware because I didn't look at the back of the boat, so I took off driving and people were driving by me laughing. The buddies were cracking up too so when we got to the boat ramp I became aware why. For 45 years all my boats have been the Gruntking, and also I've used the handle for everything.
But I never sold bait I've only bought it.

Nice. I grew up in Key Largo. I spent my whole childhood trying to get the **** out of the place and now I'm spending the rest of my trying to get back. Live in Orlando now and still make it back down there about 6 times a year. Whatya fishing for and where ya headed?

GO CANES!!!!!
I don't have a boat right now though when I retired several years ago my plan was to get another... some issues have put that on hold but one big one is my back problems that come and go. So I've been going out with friends or going to a couple of good party boats... my favorite is at mm 77.5.
I'll take my own rods and take my own fingerling mullet or speedos to get an edge. Mangroves, yellows, muttons, groupers or even grunts are my target.
Tonight the ***** captain called the trip off cause of weather issues, but when I got there it had blown away and clear sky's. He's just a lush and looks for excuses to get shiit faced.

Hey sorry didn't mean for it to come off that way if thats how you took it. I just love catching and eating mangs.
Nah my brother. I just can be a sarcastic prick. I share your love for mangos. @gruntking is an avid mango angler, also. I bet he comes home with a few tonight. Excuse the prickness...

Advertisement
Mangroove snapper fishing is simple. Chum heavy heavy heavy and cast farther back for the big boys. Also depending on the speed of the current you want to try and keep your bait in the same depth of your chum. If current is cooking you chum will be higher up and thats the zone you want your baits.
Are you sure you ain't confusing mangroves with yellowtails. Mangoes seldom come off the bottom... but what you described with the chum is classic yellowtail fishing. In fact if you don't put enough sinker weight on and the current lifts your bait off the bottom mangroves are the last thing you're getting.

Nah my brother. I just can be a sarcastic prick. I share your love for mangos. @gruntking is an avid mango angler, also. I bet he comes home with a few tonight. Excuse the prickness...
No the captain stood me up. And to add insult to injury, my truck battery went bad and I had to wait and hour to get a jump from a guy... thank God the alternator was good to return to Miami.

Advertisement
Are you sure you ain't confusing mangroves with yellowtails. Mangoes seldom come off the bottom... but what you described with the chum is classic yellowtail fishing. In fact if you don't put enough sinker weight on and the current lifts your bait off the bottom mangroves are the last thing you're getting.
No its a trick I was taught about 15 to 18 years ago by a man named capt Ron who fished out of marathon. He left his boat at that old marina that has the light house. Cant recall the name but we stayed there ages ago when it was still renting those little shacks out.

Had to edit this. Im strictly talking about when theres a real heavy current then he used very light weights to keep our baits in the same depth of the chum other wise were always on the bottom. Basically we were free lining like you would for yellow tail. did that around 7 mile bridge and out in between bars on the gulf side. Fished around coral heads and the big sea fans.

He mostly targeted tarpon as thats what everyone paid good money for. My uncle booked him to take us tarpon fishing but it was terrible that night and we caught nothing. Well old fella liked us and probably liked that my uncle booked him every year. Next thing we know he invites us snapper fishing as we told him thats what we liked doing. Thats when he taught us how to catch them. We were fishing in August and were catching them dam near on top of the water when the current was screaming. We were fishing on the gulf side straight out about 12 miles out front of the light house. This guy didn't even use leader. Were fishing knocker rigs on 20 lb P-line. Almost every fish was over 20 in. Still go every year but we stayed on a new island this year. We were one road away from the square grouper. Nothing is better then the keys just love it.

Quick question what's wrong with your back. Depending on your issues look into Traction.

No the captain stood me up. And to add insult to injury, my truck battery went bad and I had to wait and hour to get a jump from a guy... thank God the alternator was good to return to Miami.
I know you're hot right now but remember their is always next time. 😀

No its a trick I was taught about 15 to 18 years ago by a man named capt Ron who fished out of marathon. He left his boat at that old marina that has the light house. Cant recall the name but we stayed there ages ago when it was still renting those little shacks out.

Had to edit this. Im strictly talking about when theres a real heavy current then he used very light weights to keep our baits in the same depth of the chum other wise were always on the bottom. Basically we were free lining like you would for yellow tail. did that around 7 mile bridge and out in between bars on the gulf side. Fished around coral heads and the big sea fans.

He mostly targeted tarpon as thats what everyone paid good money for. My uncle booked him to take us tarpon fishing but it was terrible that night and we caught nothing. Well old fella liked us and probably liked that my uncle booked him every year. Next thing we know he invites us snapper fishing as we told him thats what we liked doing. Thats when he taught us how to catch them. We were fishing in August and were catching them dam near on top of the water when the current was screaming. We were fishing on the gulf side straight out about 12 miles out front of the light house. This guy didn't even use leader. Were fishing knocker rigs on 20 lb P-line. Almost every fish was over 20 in. Still go every year but we stayed on a new island this year. We were one road away from the square grouper. Nothing is better then the keys just love it.

Quick question what's wrong with your back. Depending on your issues look into Traction.
Ok I ain't going to second guess what tricks a proven captain employs... I guess the mangroves start moving up similar to yellows in the frenzy with chum. I've done well by staying down but I'd be interested to try that tactic on good bottom like you explained, when if ever I get another boat.
I have low back issues associated with a level of early sideways scoliosis... seems that a nerve is getting squeezed on my right side.

Severn River - over by Annapolis??? What have you caught from shore and which areas?

Blood worms are big. Those fûckers bite too. In Virginia Beach there’s a nice bait shop in a high end area with live eels and things. I never saw shrimp there. It’s been years though.

Advertisement
Back