Fishing Question

I don't have a boat right now though when I retired several years ago my plan was to get another... some issues have put that on hold but one big one is my back problems that come and go. So I've been going out with friends or going to a couple of good party boats... my favorite is at mm 77.5.
I'll take my own rods and take my own fingerling mullet or speedos to get an edge. Mangroves, yellows, muttons, groupers or even grunts are my target.
Tonight the ***** captain called the trip off cause of weather issues, but when I got there it had blown away and clear sky's. He's just a lush and looks for excuses to get shiit faced.
That's how they roll in the Keys. Locals love them barstools . If you're looking for customer service in the Keys, you'll have a tough time finding it. Robbies has a decent head boat called Captain Michael. Their night trips usually yield loads of Yellow Tails.
I grew up fishing the creeks in Key Largo targeting Mangrove Snapper. Can't fish the creeks on the weekends anymore. Selfish ******** fly threw them like animals. Common courtesy isn't so common these days. I head down there often. Hit me up if you ever want to spend a day fishing in paradise and limiting out. I've never been skunked and I've been fishing those creeks for almost 50 years.

Go Canes!!!!!!!!

Advertisement
I tried from the shore. I get sick on the water now. That happened in Puerto Rico. Caught and ate a Lion Fish and that was delicious.

I’m honestly the worst fisherman in the hemisphere. I just enjoy the calm peace and hopeful excitement of catching anything.
Wow getting sick on the water is a shame... my wife of 12 years can't deal with motion sickness either, she puked her brains out the one time she went on a party boat. I believe that she would be ok fishing back water in Everglades City/Chokoloskee since it's not open water. But after Hurricane Irma that went through that area all the boat rentals have ceased... so buying a flats boat is on hold.
But I've fished since I was 6 and have had many boats... to me fishing is the ultimate high... well fishing and Canes football!

That's how they roll in the Keys. Locals love them barstools . If you're looking for customer service in the Keys, you'll have a tough time finding it. Robbies has a decent head boat called Captain Michael. Their night trips usually yield loads of Yellow Tails.
I grew up fishing the creeks in Key Largo targeting Mangrove Snapper. Can't fish the creeks on the weekends anymore. Selfish ******** fly threw them like animals. Common courtesy isn't so common these days. I head down there often. Hit me up if you ever want to spend a day fishing in paradise and limiting out. I've never been skunked and I've been fishing those creeks for almost 50 years.

Go Canes!!!!!!!!
That's my favorite party boat, on mm 77.5. But they cancel a lot on me and that's what happened last night.

I was thinking rockfish, my bad... but i didnt realize flounder made it there either.
I just read this post from yesterday. In the 70's I caught a couple of flounders while fishing for reds, sheepsheads, snook, etc. on the outside islands of Chokoloskee… and I caught a big flounder around the same time while bottom fishing from a bridge in the Keys... believe it was Tavernier. Since then I haven't heard of any caught this far down... would like to know if anybody has.

That's my favorite party boat, on mm 77.5. But they cancel a lot on me and that's what happened last night.
In high school and even on breaks from college, I’d go down to the Tiki Bar/Whale Harbor/Holiday Isle and go out on those head boats. I did it once at night and couldn’t stop hurling over the side.

My friend was mortified and said “dude, even the little Asian kids at the front of the boat are laughing at you.” The mate told him to dump a cooler of ice and water on my when I wasn’t expecting it and that would stop me from yuking (y not p).

So now, I’m sick as **** and I’m also freezing and shivering on that boat at night for 3 hours more on that **** boat.

Advertisement
In high school and even on breaks from college, I’d go down to the Tiki Bar/Whale Harbor/Holiday Isle and go out on those head boats. I did it once at night and couldn’t stop hurling over the side.

My friend was mortified and said “dude, even the little Asian kids at the front of the boat are laughing at you.” The mate told him to dump a cooler of ice and water on my when I wasn’t expecting it and that would stop me from yuking (y not p).

So now, I’m sick as **** and I’m also freezing and shivering on that boat at night for 3 hours more on that **** boat.
You do know that most of those mates are cretins.
When my 20 year old son goes on those boats with me I give him Dramamine before sailing.... just because he fears getting sick cause he's never been on a boat and puked before.
I have never ever gotten sick on a boat, and never have taken any pills... thank God. … But have you tried motion sickness pills?

You do know that most of those mates are cretins.
When my 20 year old son goes on those boats with me I give him Dramamine before sailing.... just because he fears getting sick cause he's never been on a boat and puked before.
I have never ever gotten sick on a boat, and never have taken any pills... thank God. … But have you tried motion sickness pills?
Yeah, I take Bonine which is meclazine, the same thing I’ve taken for vertigo but even that doesn’t stop it anymore.

Yeah, I take Bonine which is meclazine, the same thing I’ve taken for vertigo but even that doesn’t stop it anymore.
**** bro... fvck that... isn't there some kind of operation to cure it. What if you burn one before and during the trip?

Advertisement
I’m good from the shore. It’s just not meant to be anymore.
Like I was saying... I believe if I take my wife backwater fishing to Chokoloskee/Everglades City where there isn't waves and mostly you're fishing around islands, that she wouldn't get sick. You never navigate in open water, the dock/ramp is surrounded by inland passes and islands.

Like I was saying... I believe if I take my wife backwater fishing to Chokoloskee/Everglades City where there isn't waves and mostly you're fishing around islands, that she wouldn't get sick. You never navigate in open water, the dock/ramp is surrounded by inland passes and islands.
I might even be able to handle that.

Advertisement
I just read this post from yesterday. In the 70's I caught a couple of flounders while fishing for reds, sheepsheads, snook, etc. on the outside islands of Chokoloskee… and I caught a big flounder around the same time while bottom fishing from a bridge in the Keys... believe it was Tavernier. Since then I haven't heard of any caught this far down... would like to know if anybody has.
Back in the 70' early 80's we used to catch Flounder in our shrimp nets when we would drop them off the channel 2 bridge down in the Keys. We would fill up 5 gallons buckets with big shrimp like it was going out of style. My grandmother was running the show. She made the nets herself. We would post up all night and work our asses off dropping and pulling those nets. But the yield was well worth it. The whole neighborhood would get shrimp and friends and family would get the rest.
I remember her always throwing the Flounder and bluefish back in the water. She used to say she doesn't like junk fish. Lol Ahhhh. The spoiles of living in the Keys. Where the fishing is so good and plentiful that flounder were considered junk fish. At lleast by my grandmother. And believe me when I tell you this woman caught fish like it was nobody's business. Most everyone down there that fished locslly, knew her or knew of her. Everyone called her Fish Mary. She raised me so I was lucky enough to call her mom. She blessed me with the gift of fishing. Fishing helps balance me out. The Canes just drive me crazy. Lol. Tight lines brotha

Go Canes !!!!!!!!

Dude. There's a patch you can get your doctor to prescribe. It's called Trans derm o scope...miracle worker for folks that get motion sickness. They even have a generic version now that is really inexpensive. Like a buck a patch. Give it a shot. You never know. It might be a life changer for you. There aren't many things that are better for the soul then a day on the water. Getting sea sick is the fn worst!!

Go Canes!!!!!!!!

Advertisement
Back in the 70' early 80's we used to catch Flounder in our shrimp nets when we would drop them off the channel 2 bridge down in the Keys. We would fill up 5 gallons buckets with big shrimp like it was going out of style. My grandmother was running the show. She made the nets herself. We would post up all night and work our asses off dropping and pulling those nets. But the yield was well worth it. The whole neighborhood would get shrimp and friends and family would get the rest.
I remember her always throwing the Flounder and bluefish back in the water. She used to say she doesn't like junk fish. Lol Ahhhh. The spoiles of living in the Keys. Where the fishing is so good and plentiful that flounder were considered junk fish. At lleast by my grandmother. And believe me when I tell you this woman caught fish like it was nobody's business. Most everyone down there that fished locslly, knew her or knew of her. Everyone called her Fish Mary. She raised me so I was lucky enough to call her mom. She blessed me with the gift of fishing. Fishing helps balance me out. The Canes just drive me crazy. Lol. Tight lines brotha

Go Canes !!!!!!!!
In the late 60' and early 70's, a couple of buddies and me were into snorkeling and spear fishing. We would find mangrove islands in the Keys where the flats were close to the shores. The wave action would carve channels around the mangrove islands about 8-10 feet deep. The channels were loaded with mangrove snapper and yellowtail. The biggest challenge was seeing how many you could get on one spear. 2 was pretty easy. I got 3 a couple of times.
We'd dive the channels cut through the flats for boat traffic from the islands. Plenty of lobster would burrow holes in the sides and we'd have to stuff our arms in the holes as far as we could to drag them out.

During stone crab season, we'd go after them in the shallow waters just beyond the flats. Had to be careful with them or you'd come back missing a finger. The law stated that you only take one claw (the largest preferably) and leave one so the crab can continue to defend itself.

Nothing better than fresh boiled lobster and stone crab dipped in a pot full of melted butter!

We also would take a 5 gallon bucket, drill small holes in it, attach about 100 feet of rope on the handle and chuck into the channels in between the islands during a full moon. Shrimp would run in large schools at that time. We'd pull up as much shrimp as we could, eat as much as we could stand, and take the rest to Key West and sell them for beer and gas money.

Go Canes !!!!!!!!
That's a great story... thanks!

In the late 60' and early 70's, a couple of buddies and me were into snorkeling and spear fishing. We would find mangrove islands in the Keys where the flats were close to the shores. The wave action would carve channels around the mangrove islands about 8-10 feet deep. The channels were loaded with mangrove snapper and yellowtail. The biggest challenge was seeing how many you could get on one spear. 2 was pretty easy. I got 3 a couple of times.
We'd dive the channels cut through the flats for boat traffic from the islands. Plenty of lobster would burrow holes in the sides and we'd have to stuff our arms in the holes as far as we could to drag them out.

During stone crab season, we'd go after them in the shallow waters just beyond the flats. Had to be careful with them or you'd come back missing a finger. The law stated that you only take one claw (the largest preferably) and leave one so the crab can continue to defend itself.

Nothing better than fresh boiled lobster and stone crab dipped in a pot full of melted butter!

We also would take a 5 gallon bucket, drill small holes in it, attach about 100 feet of rope on the handle and chuck into the channels in between the islands during a full moon. Shrimp would run in large schools at that time. We'd pull up as much shrimp as we could, eat as much as we could stand, and take the rest to Key West and sell them for beer and gas money.
Yes sir I used to fish those island channels in the keys in the 70's also. Had a friend that had a 14 ft' aluminum with a 15 hp and we'd get in there easily. And yes they were loaded with mangos. But also at that time we used to rent the old wooden boats that had live wells in the middle from Alabama Jacks and kill the mangrove snapper in the finger channels just east of the Card Sound bridge. I've tried them since and they are somewhat fished out.

Advertisement
Back