Fishing Question

Advertisement
Yes sir I used to fish those island channels in the keys in the 70's also. Had a friend that had a 14 ft' aluminum with a 15 hp and we'd get in there easily. And yes they were loaded with mangos. But also at that time we used to rent the old wooden boats that had live wells in the middle from Alabama Jacks and kill the mangrove snapper in the finger channels just east of the Card Sound bridge. I've tried them since and they are somewhat fished out.
Alabama Jacks! Wow, that's a throwback. I remember stopping there on the way up to The OB, 5 or so, us of early 20's it was like the scene in a movie where the music stops and everyone looks at you

Advertisement
Yes sir I used to fish those island channels in the keys in the 70's also. Had a friend that had a 14 ft' aluminum with a 15 hp and we'd get in there easily. And yes they were loaded with mangos. But also at that time we used to rent the old wooden boats that had live wells in the middle from Alabama Jacks and kill the mangrove snapper in the finger channels just east of the Card Sound bridge. I've tried them since and they are somewhat fished out.
Great stories! Not to get too boring or nostalgic, but back in the 60' when they were building the new bridges and I was in elementary school, my Mom's 2 youngest brothers worked for a concrete company called Gunite that was doing a lot of the concrete work. They would stay in a motel (I think that's what it was) on Duck Key in the middle of the 7 Mile Bridge during the week and come home most weekends. They would stay on the weekend now and then and Mom and I would go down there and go fishing with them.

Best conch fritters!!!!!.... or at least they used to...haven’t been there in ages...
There was a place on Ram Rod Key about 30 miles or so north of Key West called the A & B Lobster House. Sat right on the water. They had awesome conch fritters as well. That was back in the '70's.

40's air temp not two cold in Fall depending on water temp. My general rule four fishin is: four salt water fishin, use live or dead skrimps; four fresh water fishin, use live or artificial worms.

Love,

Festus

FIFY

I’m officially a fan of you and and your posts! Oh, don’t get me wrong, definitely in a positive way You post legit stuff, but now and then your choice phrases and words definitely evoke some zingers in my abnormal brain!

Advertisement
Best conch fritters!!!!!.... or at least they used to...haven’t been there in ages...
Islndmor
There was a place on Ram Rod Key about 30 miles or so north of Key West called the A & B Lobster House. Sat right on the water. They had awesome conch fritters as well. That was back in the '70's.
A&B is in Key West

Alabama Jacks! Wow, that's a throwback. I remember stopping there on the way up to The OB, 5 or so, us of early 20's it was like the scene in a movie where the music stops and everyone looks at you
I have dozens of stories about Alabama Jacks. Back in the day they were famous for their crab cakes... used to look forward to getting some after a fishing trip. If I was fishing the lower keys I still would go by to eat and drink there on the way back to Miami.

The seasickness talk is interesting. I’m completely immune to any kind of motion sickness. I literally cannot be made motion sick. I was even with a group one time at a function where they had one of those big huge circular contraptions that you get in the middle of, it’s a bunch of metal tubes but it’s all circular and they strap you in the middle and then you get twisted around upside down in 18 different directions at speed, I think it was something the astronauts used, and I couldn’t get enough of it. I loved it.

But I know people that that get sick at movies about some diving planes or some type of motion. At a movie.

I think it has more to do with the way your eyes focus and interact with your inner ear. So you don’t even have to be in motion to be motion sick if your eyes are somehow not coordinating with your inner ear.

Advertisement
islandmorada Fish Company is the place! I live in Key West during the winter and still make sure I stop there
I go there often by boat late afternoons just before sunset...have a couple of mojitos and some key west sized peel and eat shrimp and oysters....million dollar view...

I have dozens of stories about Alabama Jacks. Back in the day they were famous for their crab cakes... used to look forward to getting some after a fishing trip. If I was fishing the lower keys I still would go by to eat and drink there on the way back to Miami.
We would always stop at the tiki bars on the way up to the games, one time about 20 bales floated ashore and sheriffs were everywhere there so we didn't stop, that end to our 1st stop at Alabama Jacks. On the way home, you had to stop stop at Whale Harbor restaurant, the seafood spread was unbelievable

I go there often by boat late afternoons just before sunset...have a couple of mojitos and some key west sized peel and eat shrimp and oysters....million dollar view...
No doubt! My girl and I stopped there on Easter this year on our way back to NY. I had some alligator tail apps and a stuffed mutton snapper, good lord!!

Advertisement
We would always stop at the tiki bars on the way up to the games, one time about 20 bales floated ashore and sheriffs were everywhere there so we didn't stop, that end to our 1st stop at Alabama Jacks. On the way home, you had to stop stop at Whale Harbor restaurant, the seafood spread was unbelievable
Yea did the Whale Harbor buffet countless times, also the Coral Grill. Let me tell you something... they make a big deal about the Green Turtle, well it's overrated IMO. Rather stop at Hobos Café any day, never had a bad meal there... and the service is great.

I’m officially a fan of you and and your posts! Oh, don’t get me wrong, definitely in a positive way You post legit stuff, but now and then your choice phrases and words definitely evoke some zingers in my abnormal brain!
I love you too man. You always are posting good stuff on here. I’m actually a neurotic, ****** mess but somehow I move forward.

I remember stopping at Green Turtle when I was a kid, my parents liked it, but that was 30 years ago. Dennys, in Key Largo, was awesome. JD Artega's family owned it, for $10 bucks you had 3 days of Cuban Food to eat

Advertisement
Back