Fireside Chat with your Dear Legend

Hot Dog Nbc GIF by America's Got Talent

Advertisement
I think you said it all here. I'm not disappointed with this team, because I never expected us to be better than #2/3/4 team in the ACC this year. What I really wanted to see was an improved offense, which we have. I think Lashlee can be a really good one, but the holes are there and the veterans on that side of the ball are falling really short Wiggins, Harley, Pope, Scaife, Gaynor and Campbell are all mediocre at best atm. We are seeing improvements comparing with the last 2 years, and maybe it would have been greater if we had normal spring and fall camp, but we have ways to go.
I'm done trusting Manny's defenses, I couldn't shake the 2017 Winsc game out of my mind and last year my faith was lost for good, I think our defense can be a plus against mediocre teams and maybe make a couple of plays against elite teams to give us a chance in games, but we need a super offense to have this conversation. Obviously, I'm not sold on Manny as P5 HC, I would like to see him get the defense rotation in order, make a couple of upgrades on this staff and bring elite talent on the trail,

One thing that ****es me off are posters here that thought this team could hang with Clemson and now are doom and gloom, It's ok being a fan, but if your expectation was that, that's on you. This team had a 500 record over two seasons, expecting to compete against them right now was crazy talk

Hopefully this season will bring a good recruiting class and we can string recruiting class4es that not only looks good on the star meter, but has real ELITE talent on it so we can be among the elite teams in 3/4 years.
I keep hearing how we didn't have a normal spring and fall camp, but neither did anyone else. I didn't expect us to go from 6-7 to winning a NC, but I did expect us to improve dramatically. It's kind of dopey to use 6-7 as the barometer because we shouldn't have been 6-7 last year. We were one of the biggest underachievers in football last year.

Setting the bar absurdly low (6-7 last year) and then stumbling over it is nothing to get excited about. This team should have at least competed with Clemson, and we shouldn't be in pig fights with Pitt when Pitt lost its most important player the week before the game. Let's see what happens as the season progresses, but I haven't been impressed with the offense lately, and the defense is decent with some gaping holes that have been exploited by the better offenses.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda as far as who Pitt's QB was this past Sat. I thought the kid looked poised and didn't get too rattled when things didn't go his way.

Anyway, the fact of the matter is we got the W when in previous years, this may have been an L. The Canes showed up, played hard, and didn't tank when some things didn't go well. To me, that's a good sign and hopefully carries over to the rest of the season.

You aren't answering the question. They can't all be average teams if the word has any meaning. Some teams will consistently beat the bad teams and lose to the great teams. That's the next tier.

Miami has the talent to fit in that second tier, and that's how the team has performed thus far. I hope they keep beating average teams by two scores, because that will mean Miami is a good team.

The goal, in my eyes, is pre-Watson Clemson. Still a ton of football left.
If the 2nd tier is getting humiliated and emasculated by Clemson and not even competing with them and needing Pitt's QB to get hurt to beat them, then about 60 teams occupy that 2nd tier in your definition. At this point, we're about equal to Kentucky. Once the Big Pvssy starts playing, we'll slip down below several other teams and be at about the same level as a Minnesota.

We're in a thread talking about how lucky we were Pitt's starting QB was injured. We'd most likely be in a dogfight against teams like UK and SCAR. We haven't taken a significant leap from years past. We're average.
We all aren't. Some disagree.
I do however, think Pitt's offense would have generated more than 9 points with Pickett in there. Probably even a bit more than the 4 FG's he lead them to last year, especially if he doesn't throw another 2 INT's.

I find it tough to draw conclusions on this years team after 5 games compared to full seasons of years past.
If I had to say, we're a "good" team, above average.

Who knows, hopefully we'll look back in January and say this was the low point of our season.

Advertisement
Yeah, I mentioned this earlier in the thread. Not sure how much blame falls on King, and how much on Lashlee. But where King seemed to make every decision perfectly in the first couple of games, the last couple of games have looked horrific when it comes to the decision to hand-off or keep it.
King wasn't good on the read-option in the first couple games either. He's struggled with it all season.

Should have. But the day Pitt starts playing mistake-free football is the day they're no longer a middle of the road ACC team.

We're not the only team that beats itself. Everyone may be shocked to learn, but Mark Whipple isn't exactly Nick Saban. His players make mistakes pretty regularly.

Look, I think you're missing the point here. I'll try one more time and then leave it alone.

I do not believe it was Miami's strategery to "let Pitt beat itself". I do not think our DBs were hanging back, just letting the Pitt players drop balls.

I realize Pitt dropping the ball so much makes them a "middle of the road" ACC team. But we shouldn't play to the level of our opponents. We should defend the pass in a way that creates incompletions, not that allows Pitt to drop easy catches.

That is all.

Remember, "on any given Saturday". Who thought F$U was suddenly going to become competent for a half and smash UNC (at least in the first half)?

Yes, Pitt is not great. But Miami needs to defend the pass better. I've made it clear on other responses, I am not saying "oh, if Pickett had played, Miami would have lost". I also cannot ignore those wide-open Pitt drops that looked even more horrific because the Miami coverage was so poor.

I think it is disingenuous to say the game would have been very different if Pickett had played. The defensive staff has had his number the past few seasons. This game is identical to last year's game from a defensive standpoint if you take out the drive that they started at the one-yard line. In both games, Pitt got just four field goals. Admittedly I haven't watched a ton of Pitt this year but from what I've seen and the numbers I'm not gonna say Pickett is the second-best QB in the ACC. He's been average. He had a good statistical game against NC State, I say statistical just because I didn't watch, but they are a bellow average passing defense. Every other ACC team held him under 270 yards passing. Where I'll give you the benefit of the doubt is by saying his legs could have helped them in the red zone turning field goals into touchdowns but I'm not ready to say he turns this into a Miami loss because once again, this staff has had his number the past two years. That means something to me at least.
It's not disingenuous at all. Pickett is the heart and soul of their team and their best offensive player. You're being ridiculous if you don't think replacing him with a cement-footed inexperienced backup would be detrimental to Pitt.

Last edited:
If the 2nd tier is getting humiliated and emasculated by Clemson and not even competing with them and needing Pitt's QB to get hurt to beat them, then about 60 teams occupy that 2nd tier in your definition. At this point, we're about equal to Kentucky. Once the Big Pvssy starts playing, we'll slip down below several other teams and be at about the same level as a Minnesota.

Miami didn't "need Pitt's QB to get hurt to beat them." They won by two scores. They beat Pickett the year before. And the year before that.

Miami played terrible against the #1 team, lost badly, and has beaten everyone else by two scores. If that continues for the rest of the season (big if), you're talking about a Top 10 team.

Advertisement
King wasn't good on the read-option in the first couple games either. He's struggled with it all season.

That may be a fair point. Maybe the better way of saying it is that he still had more success in the first two games.

I think you and I are largely in agreement, and that's what confuses me about whether Lashlee or King needs to make the improvements. We've heard that Lashlee's system is so easy for people to pick up, but King is a vet and he doesn't seem to be making great decisions (except when he chooses between a pirouette and a triple axel on one of his longer runs).

Fvck it, I'm greedy. I want Lash to call better plays AND I want King to make better decisions.

It's not disingenuous at all. Pickett is the hear and soul of their team and their best offensive player. You're being ridiculous if you don't think replacing him with a cement-footed inexperienced backup would be detrimental to Pitt.
Ok assume they scored a touchdown on every scoring drive. I have my doubts but assume Pickett makes that big a difference. That puts them at 35 points. We had 31 and took a knee in scoring position. And we were content to settle for a field goal on the second to last drive. We probably still win either way. Nonetheless, I think you overvalue Pickett. The history that this defense has against him is a successful one.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda as far as who Pitt's QB was this past Sat. I thought the kid looked poised and didn't get too rattled when things didn't go his way.

Anyway, the fact of the matter is we got the W when in previous years, this may have been an L. The Canes showed up, played hard, and didn't tank when some things didn't go well. To me, that's a good sign and hopefully carries over to the rest of the season.
You understand that being a fan is all about talking about what could have happened, and part of the reason Yellen looked good is because he was throwing to wide open receivers. In previous years, we might have lost, and in previous years we might have won. Now you're playing woulda coulda shoulda when you talk about what might have happened in previous years.

In the years previous to this one, we beat Pitt and got humiliated by Clemson. Same as this year.

Advertisement
Miami didn't "need Pitt's QB to get hurt to beat them." They won by two scores. They beat Pickett the year before. And the year before that.

Miami played terrible against the #1 team, lost badly, and has beaten everyone else by two scores. If that continues for the rest of the season (big if), you're talking about a Top 10 team.
Keep cheerleading, brother. I love it. But it's obvious.

Assuming the quarterback will stay the same every year is probably the same shock and humiliation all the teams that faced Joe burrow last year felt after playing him the previous year. Pickett, was different this year, even though I thought Miami would win anyway.

Ok assume they scored a touchdown on every scoring drive. I have my doubts but assume Pickett makes that big a difference. That puts them at 35 points. We had 31 and took a knee in scoring position. And we were content to settle for a field goal on the second to last drive. We probably still win either way. Nonetheless, I think you overvalue Pickett. The history that this defense has against him is a successful one.
Dude, that's an infantile analysis with all due respect. You can't just assume that the game would have gone exactly the same on our end if Pickett played and scored more TDs on their end. This is like the goofballs who kept saying if we averaged 30 points per game last year we would have won 12 games. That's simpleton stuff.

You're not understanding a very easy point. It's not that Pickett is Russell Wilson; it's that he's far superior to Joey Yellen, and Yellen made a ton of plays on this same D and missed many more.

Advertisement
Assuming the quarterback will stay the same every year is probably the same shock and humiliation all the teams that faced Joe burrow last year felt after playing him the previous year. Pickett, was different this year, even though I thought Miami would win anyway.
Most of these guys don't watch college football. They think because a different UM defense beat Pickett in a different year under different circumstances that Pickett isn't better than Joey Yellen. It's simpleton logic.

Dude, that's an infantile analysis with all due respect. You can't just assume that the game would have gone exactly the same on our end if Pickett played and scored more TDs on their end. This is like the goofballs who kept saying if we averaged 30 points per game last year we would have won 12 games. That's simpleton stuff.

You're not understanding a very easy point. It's not that Pickett is Russell Wilson; it's that he's far superior to Joey Yellen, and Yellen made a ton of plays on this same D and missed many more.
I just want to know what you’ve seen from Pickett this season or previously against this defense to make you think he’s making that big of a difference in that game. I don’t see it.

Advertisement
Back