NFL Fins make multiple 1st round trades

Advertisement
Advertisement
I don't like this series of moves. I was fine with it when it was 3 1sts and a 3rd for #3 overall because you have optionality. If Tua is a competent starter you have a treasure trove to build around him. If he's not then you have the ammo to trade for Russ.

Now it's looking like Tua, Chase, a mid-round pick upgrade and 2023 1st. That's betting bigger on Tua than I'd prefer. You can still trade for Russ next year but might get outbid. Chase is a stud but this is a deep WR class, and if Micah Parsons is available at 12 that'd be a steal. He's my #2 rated prospect without considering positional value.

The problem is Trey Lance is an incredible talent and the 49ers are the perfect landing spot for him. He can make 5 1sts look bad imo.

San Fran is gonna be starting a young QB. What guarantees do they have of even being good? Trey Lance or Zach Wilson or Justin Fields have Super Bowl caliber QB written on them?

I'm sure people said that about Patrick Mahomes too.

Look, the entire trend of the NFL is that if you can find a starting QB on his rookie-scale contract, you can afford to put money in the other positions. And there aren't many Tom Brady types left, guys who can walk through the door and take you to the Super Bowl, so talented and young (and cheap) QBs are big currency in today's NFL.

As for San Francisco, they were 13-3 two years ago. It's easy to rebound from a 6-10 season that was impaired by a rash of injuries. Five of their ten losses were by one score or less. If you don't think that San Francisco could be right back to Super Bowl contention rapidly, then you must not watch football very closely.

Advertisement

This is why I wait to see what the "final" version of the deal is.

So...we went from #3 overall to #6 overall...

And in return, we get:
1. a SF first round pick in 2 years (which may be a low first-rounder)
2. a SF compensatory 3rd rounder (between the 3rd and 4th rounds)
3. a DROP from 123rd (early fourth round?) to 156th (late fourth round?)

Hey, if the 2023 first round pick turns out to be something, then maybe. Otherwise, it doesn't seem like much of "a haul".

And I'm not saying that the Dolphins should have stayed at #3, just that it doesn't seem like we got much out of a position that will likely be a QB. In past years, teams have benefitted greatly from moving down if they didn't need a QB.

Maybe this will look better later. I'm not super-impressed today, though.

Advertisement
What in the FVCK? A "haul"?

They are giving up a #3 pick, a pick that in any given year can be converted into a franchise QB...

For a #12 first-round pick...a compensatory pick in the 3rd (sandwiched between the 3rd and 4th rounds)...and two future #1s when San Francisco will likely be a Super Bowl caliber team, which will then probably be late first-rounders?

Jimmy Johnson laughs.

Let's maybe wait to evaluate this trade until we see who is selected with those picks. Or let's wait until closer to the draft when someone gets desperate to move up.

Good lord, we have some Miami pro-team homers who are just rhapsodizing about trades these last few days.
3 First round picks for a team in the middle of a rebuild that has a 1st round qb they selected just last year. They trade a pick they likely weren't going to use on a QB to a team willing to give up 3 first round picks. IDK about you but SF breaking in a qb year 1 makes me think they won't be much better if any better than they were this year. So you're getting 3 first round picks for a pick that you likely would have overdrafted a WR or Pitts at. Now you just traded 12 and one of those extra firsts to hop right back up to 6 to likely grab that weapon. So basically you were gifted a first and a third to move down 3 spots and still get the guy you want. Seems like a haul to me. I'm a Patriots fan btw.

Maybe they want Smith or Waddle and figure they can get them easily at 6? Bengals at 5 could take Chase...idk.

QB definitely going 1-4 it seems though.
could see that considering the burrow connection but **** they would be dumb to pass up Sewell if he is there.

Advertisement
What in the FVCK? A "haul"?

They are giving up a #3 pick, a pick that in any given year can be converted into a franchise QB...

For a #12 first-round pick...a compensatory pick in the 3rd (sandwiched between the 3rd and 4th rounds)...and two future #1s when San Francisco will likely be a Super Bowl caliber team, which will then probably be late first-rounders?

Jimmy Johnson laughs.

Let's maybe wait to evaluate this trade until we see who is selected with those picks. Or let's wait until closer to the draft when someone gets desperate to move up.

Good lord, we have some Miami pro-team homers who are just rhapsodizing about trades these last few days.
Getting an extra first for a guy Miami was going to draft anyways is pretty huge

Advertisement
Back