Final 247sports Composite Rankings - Biggest risers/fallers

These rankings are completely arbitrary & that goes for even the top ranked kids too.

Christian Hackenberg was the #1 ranked QB, 5-star & 13th nationally overall, his rating was a 99.27.

He was an abject bust, his Freshman year he had Bill O'Brien's offense to hide his deficiencies, without Allen Robinson & Jesse James he was absolutely terrible. And Trace McSorley proved that it wasn't James Franklin, because he played far better with less talent around him than Hack had.

The point being, those of you that think rankings are always 100% accurate really don't get they don't actually base a lot of these rankings on anything more than just whatever they've been told by other recruiting scouts.

It's all about camps & high profile kids from high profile schools, it's really all just politics.

There are always going to be busts and hidden gems but the facts don’t lie. Every team that has won a national championship in the past 15 years had at least two top ten classes in the four years prior. I think there may be one outlier but I don’t remember which team it was.
Miami has a top 10 class, but that's not what I'm talking about.

Class rankings & individual player rankings aren't necessarily the same thing. The point being, some people think rankings determine the player & there's a **** tom of evidence to suggest that's not the case for a lot of players.

The ranking sites are mostly political, they're not objective & fans who take their word as the gospel are setting themselves up for failure ultimately.

FSU, UGA, LSU, Michigan, Auburn, Texas & USC all routinely have top 10 classes and they rarely win natty's recently. FSU was lucky to win the championship in the last era of the BCS, as soon as they had to endure the playoff they were crushed. Most "teams" that have won a National championship in the last decade is actually one team, Bama.

Last edited:
Advertisement
These rankings are completely arbitrary & that goes for even the top ranked kids too.

Christian Hackenberg was the #1 ranked QB, 5-star & 13th nationally overall, his rating was a 99.27.

He was an abject bust, his Freshman year he had Bill O'Brien's offense to hide his deficiencies, without Allen Robinson & Jesse James he was absolutely terrible. And Trace McSorley proved that it wasn't James Franklin, because he played far better with less talent around him than Hack had.

The point being, those of you that think rankings are always 100% accurate really don't get they don't actually base a lot of these rankings on anything more than just whatever they've been told by other recruiting scouts.

It's all about camps & high profile kids from high profile schools, it's really all just politics.

There are always going to be busts and hidden gems but the facts don’t lie. Every team that has won a national championship in the past 15 years had at least two top ten classes in the four years prior. I think there may be one outlier but I don’t remember which team it was.

I am still waiting to see my first quote ever along the lines of "rankings are always 100% accurate" like he suggests in his thesis about something nobody actually says.
You must have missed a bunch of threads on here from people talking about this very subject.

Stars don't matter once you get on campus and strap em up. Savages gone eat regardless of the hype. We have a bunch of under ranked beast that are about to feast on cfb. I would rather have future 1st & 2nd rounders(or anywhere in the draft) than overhyped 5*s anyday. Were looking just fine and its only going to get better from here

I am still waiting to see my first quote ever along the lines of "rankings are always 100% accurate" like he suggests in his thesis about something nobody actually says.
You must have missed a bunch of threads on here from people talking about this very subject.

I am merely pointing out your hyperbole, which you actually do quite often when you are making one of your smarter than everyone else posts.

Nobody says the star system is 100% accurate, as you claim. Everyone knows there are busts and under rated kids. You citing one example, that is actually just an outlier statistically, is valueless.

There are not very many people that have the time to review hundreds of kids game tape at any given position to draw their own evaluations. Not very many people have the football knowledge to draw those conclusions if they did have the time and interest to review that much tape. So, they go with the resources available. And from a statistical standpoint, the available resources are a lot more accurate than people who post against them seem to want to admit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Class rankings & individual player rankings aren't necessarily the same thing. The point being, some people think rankings determine the player & there's a **** tom of evidence to suggest that's not the case for a lot of players.

The ranking sites are mostly political, they're not objective & fans who take their word as the gospel are setting themselves up for failure ultimately.

FSU, UGA, LSU, Michigan, Auburn, Texas & USC all routinely have top 10 classes and they rarely win natty's recently. FSU was lucky to win the championship in the last era of the BCS, as soon as they had to endure the playoff they were crushed. Most "teams" that have won a National championship in the last decade is actually one team, Bama.

I think we have an excellent class and am generally very happy with our recruiting right now. And yes, having top ten classes doesn’t garuntee contention, that’s not the point of the stat, however, statistically being outside of the top ten does preclude contention in the modern era, which is a valuable distinction.

No argument from me that the ratings of individual players are often way off, there’s a variety of examples in our current team, I’m just saying, in aggregate, the stats tell us we need top ten classes at least two of four years or have to hope we can be an outlier.

Advertisement

I am merely pointing out your hyperbole, which you actually do quite often when you are making one of your smarter than everyone else posts.

Nobody says the star system is 100% accurate, as you claim. Everyone knows there are busts and under rated kids. You citing one example, that is actually just an outlier statistically, is valueless.

There are not very many people that have the time to review hundreds of kids game tape at any given position to draw their own evaluations. Not very many people have the football knowledge to draw those conclusions if they did have the time and interest to review that much tape. So, they go with the resources available. And from a statistical standpoint, the available resources are a lot more accurate than people who post against them seem to want to admit.
"Smarter than everyone else posts"... Ohhh I see, that says a lot.

I could post the actual threads but it's not necessary, I have nothing else to say to you.

I could post the actual threads but it's not necessary, I have nothing else to say to you.

Ok, good times.

Stars don't matter once you get on campus and strap em up. Savages gone eat regardless of the hype. We have a bunch of under ranked beast that are about to feast on cfb. I would rather have future 1st & 2nd rounders(or anywhere in the draft) than overhyped 5*s anyday. Were looking just fine and its only going to get better from here

"overhyped 5 stars" are more likely to be drafted in the first round than other players. Look at last year's draft. There were like ten former 5 star players drafted in the first when there are only 30 or so players that get ranked that highly. The facts state that 5 stars are more likely to be high drafted than a 3 star. Higher floors, higher ceilings.

Ok, good times.

https://youtu.be/5DmYLrxR0Y8

Advertisement
Brevin Jordan has day 1 starter and freshman All-American written all over him.

[video=youtube;Paqo-FVG05s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Paqo-FVG05s[/video]

"overhyped 5 stars" are more likely to be drafted in the first round than other players. Look at last year's draft. There were like ten former 5 star players drafted in the first when there are only 30 or so players that get ranked that highly. The facts state that 5 stars are more likely to be high drafted than a 3 star. Higher floors, higher ceilings.

NFL scouts don't care nothing about how you were ranked coming out of HS if it didnt carry over into your college career. If you produce at high level and standout in a P5 program, 1st or 2nd rounder guaranteed(5* or 2*).

NFL scouts don't care nothing about how you were ranked coming out of HS if it didnt carry over into your college career. If you produce at high level and standout in a P5 program, 1st or 2nd rounder guaranteed(5* or 2*).

And what he's saying is that 5-stars are more likely to produce at a high level. (thus more likely to be drafted)

He's not saying that NFL scouts care about high school rankings.

Advertisement
Brevin is K2 for sure with the attitude to match he's going to be a stud. Now we just gotta get a qb to get him the ball consistently.

Advertisement
Stars matter but not where the player is ranked. No real difference from a cb ranked 8th and one ranked 30th. Guys like Surtain and Campbell are an exception to that rule.

Nesta Silvera was a 3 star now he's the #2 DT in the country... did he magically become better?? No he already was a beast and best DT in the country. Had to go to bs camps to get rated higher that's how fake the shxt is

I will forever be salty about Brevins lack of a 5th star, especially since he was so close.

And Bama has had a top 2 class **** near every recruiting year...with the more 5 star players than any team.

LCE is a good dude. I don't think he is trying to necessarily make a smarter than everyone else post, but to be fair that isn't very difficult on this site.

Advertisement
Back