Film Review of VT Game

[MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION] any insight on why we don't attempt to block gunners on punt returns?

Advertisement
Vision, great work, as always. Thank you.

There's something going on with our DE rotations that may play a large role, if not be an outright issue, this weekend. I was waiting for your review to see if you expounded on it. I'll make a thread about it later today when I get out of conference stuff.

Did you ever make this thread?

HurricaneVision said:
This is something Rosier has to get better at. This ball has to be into the field of play so that Thomas can make a play. He’s got plenty of room to leave it in the field of play here. Thomas actually did a good job of running this route so that he has enough room to catch the ball. Bad throw.

Said this exact thing on one of his picks too. He needs to throw deep balls where his WR can run under them, especially when they have a speed advantage. It's something Morris did with ease and Rosier makes the catch so much more difficult by giving the DB an easy play to make.

Great stuff as always, HV.

I think a lot of people underestimate just how much arm strength Stephen Morris had. It wasn't as evident in his senior year because he played most of that season with a gimpy ankle on his plant foot. In his junior year he made some beautiful throws to Dorsett. Rosier is on record saying that when JT gets past his man he just throws it as far as he can, and sometimes Thomas still has to slow up to catch it. No way in **** Jeff Thomas is faster than Phillip Dorsett. At least I don't think so...

Advertisement
Definitely puts the cherry on top of a raucous, emotional, badass week.

Thank you for what you do [MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION]

[MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION] any insight on why we don't attempt to block gunners on punt returns?

bump

We try. We just aren't very good at it. A lot of times our block play is to send that guy on the block rather than doubling the gunner to the strong side. I wouldn't do that, or design it that way, but it's just a call by the ST's coach. Deciding when to run the block, or the return.

Honestly, we don't really run a return all the time either. A lot of times we actually leave our defense on the field during punting situations and just ask Berrios to fair catch the punt if they do punt it.

We are pretty conservative in the return game. I could probably do a better job breaking down our punting game situations. Honestly, there are times I rush through plays to get to plays I know are more interesting. That's a fault of mine on these.

Advertisement
Thank you everyone for not quoting OP before you add your one-liner.

From my phone.

Advertisement
Back