Film Review of VT Game

HurricaneVision

Staff Writer
You know the drill, this post will be long. It will contain lots of stills of the game, rather than gifs. If that isn’t for you, no worries. I use stills to show nuance and details that get lost when you see gifs. That doesn’t mean you can’t follow along with the game and see what I’m looking at. These reviews are time consuming, so if you enjoy my work I would appreciate a follow on Twitter [MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION]

First, I want to start by saying how awesome it is to be playing meaningful night games at home again. The crowd was absolutely jacked for this game and you could feel that the tide was starting to return to Miami being a place where games like this occur frequently. The uniforms were awesome, the fans were awesome, the atmosphere was awesome. It was something that made me stop and quietly say to myself, “Thank you, Coach Richt.”

After a touchback we come out on first down. I’ve pointed it out several times so I won’t continue to do so here, but any time they run a jet sweep motion we are going to rotate that defender into a FS look. We aren’t getting fancy on defense, we aren’t disguising what we’re going to do from a formation standpoint. It’s simply a numbers game. One thing to note: This is the importance of the nickel and strong safety in this defense. They are players that are fairly interchangeable, otherwise the offense could dictate who they want in deep responsibility by running the jet sweep to the side that would put that defender into a matchup they want. They run the dive out of it and Bandy has to make the tackle after a big run. Now that I’ve added my personal commentary, I’ll show what happened on the play.

They run a double-team on Norton, but the LG comes off Norton to get the LB Pinckney crashing in on the run. Norton has to stay in his gap here to defend this dive play. When the LG leaves him he tries to jump into the spot the LG was in, which allows the C to seal him out of the hole. If he stays in his gap, this is probably a three-yard run. Shaq got caught a touch too far inside as well. You can see his feet on this side of the hash marks, but as he reaches the blocker he jumps all the way to the other side of the hash marks, which leaves the middle wide-open. If Bandy doesn’t make this tackle it’s probably a TD on the first play of the game and it’s quite possible things snowball from there. I didn’t realize it watching it live, but you can see all 11 Miami defenders in this screenshot and Bandy is it from a defensive standpoint. Maybe Jaquan runs him down from behind, but I’m not betting on it if he freely beats Bandy on the run with a blocker out front and Malek Young pinned to the boundary with a blocker as well. My man-crush on Bandy knows no bounds. Final note on this play, look at the QB, who is actually reading Michael Jackson on this play. If Jackson goes out into coverage, the QB probably keeps this ball and runs an option to that side with the jet sweep man as his pitch man. As we played it, Redwine is going to pick up the WR to that side and Jackson is crashing hard. Aggressive, and a new wrinkle from both teams on the first play. A shotgun triple option reading the CB is pretty cool.
1.jpg
2.jpg

Next play Shaq stays in his gap, beats a blocker, comes in a little apprehensive, so not a physical tackle, but he gets him down as McIntosh scrapes down the line and lowers the boom on McMillan. Not pictured.

Next play, McIntosh and Chad Thomas both slant as VT tries to pull a G. Both get into the backfield as the slant action works perfectly for the play call. McIntosh takes the QB as he stays true to his assignment. Pinckney stays true to his gap, Malek Young beats a block and gets into the backfield and Shaq comes in and hits the RB hard. Canes shutting down the run with assignment football and a line slant. Not pictured.

On third down we stunt Trent Harris inside and Chad Thomas comes outside. The worry would be that we would open up a huge lane for the QB, but Shaq does an excellent job of stepping up into this gap even without the QB trying to run. Michael Jackson physically dominates his receiver and the play has no chance. Malek Young is communicating that he is going to hand off the underneath WR in zone coverage, and then sink back down underneath in case the WR you see by the score in the corner runs a whip route to get back out to the sideline. Good defense.
3.jpg

Fair catch on the punt. On the end-around we screwed it up. Herndon is supposed to seal this guy inside and Homer is supposed to get around him to get to #21 and then have Berrios get around the edge. We didn’t block it well, but Berrios somehow gets eight out of this. [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=4]#4 9[/URL] does a great job of staying outside the shoulder of Herndon here and winning this rep. I will say, props to Homer for being smart enough to improvise and realize that they have to block that edge player before worrying about getting to the second level and starting a double team.
4.jpg

The throwback pass to the QB works beautifully. If it’s a better throw he might score. Berrios floated this ball big-time and it’s honestly a solid catch by Rosier with a defender right there. Berrios was late with the throw and not enough velocity. Braxton isn’t a threat to Rosier for QB1, but a big play nonetheless. Here we see what I really wanted to see out of Miami. They run two plays in a row that they haven’t shown all season long. There is a message here with these plays: We are here to win. We are not scared. We are not conservative. We want this place loud from the very beginning. Richt is clearly making a statement early with his play calls.
5.jpg

Darling has a false start on next play. As a senior, we need to cut that out. Freshman Donaldson on the next play. That’s a sign of nerves or adrenaline.

Next play and Darling loses his rep immediately off the fake. That hurts because Richards had his man beaten on the post. Incomplete. Not pictured.

2nd and 20 and Donaldson is beaten quickly, he recovers just enough to push the DT and Rosier does a great job of stepping up into the pocket and showing excellent anticipation. This ball is halfway there and Berrios is just coming out of his break and catches this in the middle of the orange arm of the U. This is an NFL play by Rosier and Berrios both.
6.jpg

Then we burn a timeout after this conversion. Not sure why, if it was formation, play call, or other reasons.

Next play and Donaldson loses immediately, who hits Rosier before he has a chance to make a read. He checks it down to Herndon as he’s getting hit, but if he had a second to look at the play, Berrios would’ve been his first read because they are running middle cross and shallow cross and you normally read deep to short on your route combinations like this.
7.jpg

You’ve read about some wrinkles we’ve thrown into the gameplan this week, but here’s a new one as well. At the snap, Darling throws the DT as he’s running by and knocks him to the ground (think of how a bullfighter would ole the red curtain). The play action to Homer gets the DT paying attention to the RB. This is a keep all the way. Berrios pancakes a guy. Jeff Thomas dominates his man. Rosier just steps out-of-bounds.
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg

Next play we go hurry-up and their DT, Settle was too quick for St. Louis to cut. We tried to downblock with Richards on the edge player, who really misses the block. Dallas is muddied up and does the right thing by just trying to ram it up in there rather than bounce and lose yards. This was just beaten up by VT. Not pictured.

Ball is in the air, the defender has both hands on the shoulder pads of the receiver. Not sure how this isn’t called. He never looks back either.
11.jpg

On third down we had it. I didn’t realize it live, but Rosier screwed up the pass by Dallas. He’s going to walk into the end zone. He just stops running. If he keeps running towards the pylon he catches the ball and walks in. He heard footsteps from the defender coming at him. Look at Rosier. He is stopped running. If he keeps running he catches it and waltzes into the end zone. Donaldson is being asked to get all the way out there on this play and block a man running straight upfield. I’d rather he be asked to pull on this play and Parrot be asked to come across and block this man. You can see Parrott blocking at the goal line at the top of your screen. He pulls and Donaldson is asked to retreat all the way to get to this kickout block and never lays a hand on the defender.
12.jpg

It was dumb to go for it on fourth down. Whether we make it or not, it’s not a good decision. I didn’t show the still of the backfield on the previous play because I knew we did the same thing on the next play and it didn’t work then, either. Here is Parrott pulling around the edge and Donaldson tasked with the kickout block. You’re asking Donaldson to run so far to get that block. It doesn’t make a ton of sense to me to have Parrott go inside here and not Donaldson. If Donaldson goes inside and crashes the side of their line down, and Parrott goes outside and kicks this man out, Homer walks into the end zone. Just walks in. Look at Herndon just pushing the edge defender inside. It’s all there if we change the responsibilities on this play. Instead, Parrott runs into Donaldson, they both block no one, the edge defender runs right by both of them, and we don’t make it. I was mad when I first watched it, but we just messed it up. The play was there if we execute it.
13.jpg
14.jpg

On defense, McIntosh whips their G immediately. Jaquan is in the box at the snap and comes downhill and thumps the RB. Not pictured.

Next play Moten gets too far upfield and out of his lane and allows a free path for the QB to take off. He really just needs to control the blocker here and get his hands up and this is a sack by Trent Harris. Against ND, please stay in your lane DL. Wimbush will hurt you if you don’t.
15.jpg

We slant McIntosh on third and one and they have a read play right into that area and get five. The slants and stunts and twists produce big plays, but they also give up some as they do here. Not pictured.

Next play Shaq reads it perfectly, gets there on the stretch play and just misses the tackle. RB gains seven, when it should’ve been none. Not pictured.

Next play Joe Jackson makes a mistake. He gives up the edge here. He was actually on the outside shoulder of #67 here, but jumped back down to where he is here, which makes it easy to pin him down and the RB to get outside. Always protect the edge Joe.
16.jpg

Next play, we are definitely daring them to beat us throwing the ball. We have eight guys right on the LOS. Norton kills his man here and sucks this up for a loss. Joe Jackson also beat his man and was there as well. You can see when Jaquan walked down into the box we our boundary CB out to FS (Michael Jackson).
17.jpg

Alright, let’s go a little faster now that we’ve established a little bit of a rhythm of what we’re doing from a gameplan perspective.

Next play, McIntosh destroys the G and they throw a short out for five. I will say that PFF putting a VT G on their all-week team thus far is a joke. Both of them have gotten their lunch eaten by Norton and McIntosh. Not pictured.

Look what we did here on third down. Joe Jackson is playing MLB and Shaq is over on the edge. Trent Harris is standing up in the A gap and we only have McIntosh and Chad Thomas as down linemen. Amari Carter is on the other edge here and actually loops all the way around from that edge spot and blitzes up the A-gap as well. It works perfectly as he comes free for the sack. This is a QB draw by the way. Look at #74 releasing already downfield. That receiver in the middle of your screen isn’t running a route, he’s coming down to block Jaquan. Their QB shells up like a turtle. Keep hitting that man.
18.jpg
19.jpg

Punt is fair caught. They threw a flag on Garvin for talking after the play. Weak.

Next play, Gauthier tries to chip the DT that Darling is going to trap, slips, goes into Donaldson, who is trying to block the LB, and the LB tackles Homer after a gain of two. Donaldson let go of his block immediately when he felt something at his knees. Can’t blame him. Second down, Rosier is flushed from the pocket and scrambles to his right. Nothing there and throws it away. Plays not pictured.

Third down they send the nickel as one more man than we can block, but Rosier gets it off to Richards on the stop route at the top of your screen, who picks it up.
20.jpg

An example of a pre-snap determination on where you’re going with the ball. Langham is not open here. Rosier is staring down this slant and you can see Trumaine Edwards just waiting on it and already driving on the ball. Lucky this isn’t a house call. If Rosier gives a pump here and cuts off of #74 ’s butt and Langham turns into a blocker here, this has a real chance at a big gain. Second shot is what Rosier sees. Would’ve been a gain of at least five. This play starts getting taken by our offense and we will be on schedule a lot more often and convert a lot more third downs.
21.jpg
22.jpg

Only fair to show when we get away with a hold as well. Darling is not called here as we run outside zone. Gain of five.
23.jpg

We run outside zone on third down and Langham loses his block and we come up a yard short. Langham has to put better effort on that play. Not pictured.

The DL slants again on first down and they run a counter right behind it. Pinckney just misses a tackle, then Shaq does a nice job coming off a block and Jaquan sticks the RB. Gain of seven. Not pictured.

An out route gets the first. Then on first down they run that jet sweep and McCloud holds his ground and gets him down after five yards. Second down and Shaq reads it perfectly to make a tackle for a gain of one. Shaq is just a really solid player. End of first quarter. Not pictured.

On third down we rush upfield and leave a lane for the QB, but Shaq sees it right now. This is why he’s such a good player, because he sees things quickly on the field. He makes this tackle right at the hole and stops a third down pickup.
24.jpg

Play action sucks up the LB’s and Herndon runs a slick little route over the middle. He lined up in the slot and was outside the shoulders of the LB, when he goes up field he is agile enough to slide inside of the shoulder on a skinny post that gets him to an angle the QB can complete the ball. A little thing that will show up on his tape. NFL player. Not pictured.

First down we run outside zone and Herndon is supposed to turn the edge player back inside so Homer can go around him. The edge defender does what you’re supposed to do; stay outside no matter what. Homer is forced to cut inside and gets only two. Good player by #22 on their defense. Not pictured.

Next play, OL loses right off the bat on the inside zone, but Homer breaks a tackle in the backfield to pickup five. It was an excellent play by the DE to get upfield before an OL could slide down to him. Not pictured.

On third down we get a call of pass interference. The defender doesn’t have to look for the ball in college, but this little shove right here they called PI. We will take it, but this is a very big call.
25.jpg

This is something Rosier has to get better at. This ball has to be into the field of play so that Thomas can make a play. He’s got plenty of room to leave it in the field of play here. Thomas actually did a good job of running this route so that he has enough room to catch the ball. Bad throw.
26.jpg

Cool camera shot here shows how good of a throw-and-catch this is on this slip screen. Rosier makes a perfect throw, Homer makes a great catch-and-run. Big gain.
27.jpg

Next play Rosier pulls it down very quickly and gets tackled for a loss of three. Not pictured.

Virginia Tech fans had a gripe on the third down call in my view, which without that call this one doesn’t have a chance to happen, but this is not debatable. Look his jersey is already off his shoulder pads here and he’s still grabbing him. This should’ve been a TD but the throw was late and short, plus the grabbing.
28.jpg

Next play is inside dive for nothing. Not pictured.

You’ve got to protect your QB, no doubt about it, but you have to fight for this first down right here, Malik. They spot him right here since that’s where he starts to slide. He’s got a very good chance of getting the first down itself if he goes forward here.
29.jpg

Berrios runs a perfect route on the third down and catches a slant for the TD. Great job. Not pictured.

On the kickoff, #30 gets out of his lane. See how he’s ducked inside of that blocker? He’s supposed to be on the other side of that blocker and plugging that lane. The runner goes right through there for a nice return.
30.jpg

On first down, Norton gets the sack and plays the air guitar on the QB’s leg again. Pretty funny when he does that. He beat up the G for VT who was lauded for his play. Not pictured.

Second down, Norton discards the C and Jaquan comes and thumps the RB. Nice play by both. Three yards. Not pictured.

Third down, look at this. This is what I’m talking about with Shaq. He knows this is a screen. He already knows. Can you see it here? Do you see anything off here yet? I’ll tell you what it is, the QB is giving it away here by the way he’s contorting his body the other way. This isn’t a normal dropback and Shaq knows it now (QB’s don’t cross their feet in a normal dropback either). They tried to bring [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=8]#8 3[/URL] back to block Shaq, but he’s too fast to recognize the play and is already there. This is the sort of thing that just gets me excited about football. Shaq can play for my team any day. Side note: Fowler goes with the “99 Problems” joke and then asks Kirk if he likes the 2 Live Crew reference down in South Florida. What? Dude, that’s Jay-Z and I believe Ice-T before him.
31.jpg

First down Rosier scrambles, breaks a tackle from their DT and gets a first down. Not pictured.

Darling with another false start. Ugh.

Next play is lights out for VT. We did this quite a bit last year when we had a second TE in Njoku, where we line Herndon up in the backfield in a split-back look. This is an inside zone play with counter action on the backside. It’s a wrinkle to a normal zone read. Take Herndon out of this play and it’s just a zone read like any other play and the LB’s stay right where they are. Since Herndon is crashing down in that counter action, the outside LB has to come down and the edge has to stay at home because it looks as though Rosier has a lead blocker here.
31.jpg

The zone action of the OL pushes the weakside LB outside to protect that edge. You also have two variations you can run off this play where you could fake this action, then throw the bubble to Berrios. You could also keep and have Herndon as a lead blocker. Finally, you could have a shovel pass to Herndon option off this play. Simple yet fun. Take some time to look at the first still, which is of the formation, then the second, which shows how that action split the defense into two halves instead of a cohesive unit. Homer, of course already has the ball, and has a wide-open lane to run through and it’s a house call.
33.jpg

Here’s the reverse angle and look at #4 is right there. He does everything perfectly. He jumps on the hip of St. Louis and follows him, but he gets caught peeking. He is looking at Rosier because of the lead blocker Herndon. He’s right there to make the tackle in the backfield if he goes for the RB. Excellent work by Rosier to carry out the fake and make it seem plausible he has the ball.
34.jpg

This ball just gets through Bandy’s hands or it’s a house call. VT gets nine here, but they got even luckier than that.
35.jpg

Norton beats the G, but Jackson slides to his right and hits a deep pass. Bandy completely turns the wrong way as he needs to be playing this on the hash since he has Redwine inside. This is a big mistake here. Bandy just guessed wrong, but in this situation we don’t need guessing.
36.jpg

Next play they fake the jet sweep and D Jax misses a tackle in the backfield. QB runs for nine. Not pictured.

We’ve already lost this play. D Jax is diving inside here and he is already pinned here. Easy QB keep, who gets around the edge and picks up a first down.
37.jpg

Pinckney misses a tackle on an inside zone and then Redwine blasts the RB after a gain of four. Not pictured.

This happened a few times in this game. Their QB makes a terrible decision and they get lucky. How does Redwine not knock this pass away? Why did he throw this ball? The WR has it hit him in the hands and he just drops it.
38.jpg

QB just made a really bad play all the way around. Here it is from another view. He sees the wheel route to #15 , but that’s a lot of traffic to be trying to throw into. Look at the TE at the 20. He is uncovered and would’ve had big yards. This is an easy read that they just missed.
39.jpg

Look at Trent. He sees this pitch already and is trying to retreat. The QB panics here and pitches early. This play isn’t going to work because Trent is going to force it wide and Bandy blows it up, or Shaq will tackle the QB, but the errant pitch makes it a 50-yard FG.
40.jpg

Touchback on the kickoff. First down, Rosier takes off on a designed run and slides after six. The defender hit him as he was sliding and it certainly could’ve been called. Give us this call and take away the one later when he’s faking the zone read and we’re even. Not pictured.

Here’s a good shot of what the zone read does to a defense. This allows the RT to seal the slanting DT inside. What a great cut here by Deejay Dallas, by the way. This play is supposed to go exactly where the DT is at. He jump cuts to the outside, hits that hole, and avoids a tackle for a big gain. Rosier holds the outside edge player with the fake and the Canes do not even have to block him. Richards comes all the way across the field and blocks the man standing on the 40 here, allowing Dallas to get to midfield. Winning type play there from Richards.
41.jpg

On the interception by #36 there is just nothing open. I know we want to take all the shots deep that we can, but on first down after that big play, it just wasn’t there. I’ve reviewed this play several times and there’s nothing there. No one was open. There was no open check down. There was no lane to run. It just needed to be thrown away. Played great by the CB, honestly.
42.jpg

VT does a nice job of working the outside hashes and picking up first downs on back-to-back plays. Not pictured.

This ball needs to be picked by Dean. Another just terrible decision by their QB. Dean is just standing there. He mistimes his leap and the WR gets it behind him. You have to treat this like a rebound in basketball where you put your body up against them and don’t allow them to have a free leap over the top of you. He catches this ball. Woof.
43.jpg

On this play I need to give credit to Daniel Gould @dgould151 as he pointed out we only have ten men on the field. I doubt I’d have noticed this, but we’re missing a LB and you can see Shaq like what is going on.
44.jpg

Boom! Jaquan doesn’t care. Helmet right on the ball. This thing flies out of there and we recover. This is perfect. This is on his NFL scouting tape, without a doubt. We go into halftime only up 14-3 and have dominated to the point it should be something like 28-3, but it was a great half by the home team. By the way, the return by RJ McIntosh was crazy impressive. How athletic is that guy for being nearly 300 pounds? Our own Peter Ariz points out he was a wing guard in AAU basketball. I actually moved my draft prediction on him completely off of this one play. That dude is gone after this year.
45.jpg

We get the ball first in the second half and it’s another touchback. Berrios points out the corner blitz, Homer picks it up, Berrios runs a deep dig route, Rosier hits him for a good gain. Not pictured.

On first down we run outside zone and St. Louis has to seal the edge for the play to work. St. Louis gets to the defender, but on first contact he is knocked back. The edge defender extends his arm and controls the blocker perfectly here. Coach Kool would be proud of that play by VT. They string this out and he gets two yards. It all started right here though. If St. Louis this man inside we get that edge and it’s a good gain.
46.jpg

Rosier has this play. Edmunds is [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=4]#4 9[/URL] and he reads him on this play. When he comes up he pulls the ball and makes the throw. If Edmunds stays back he gives the ball to Homer. Edmunds is 6-5 with long arms and tips this ball. #21 makes a quite impressive catch to intercept it behind this. It’s still open though. This is an example of what I mean when I say Rosier just needs to continue to grow in his throws that require nuance. Just throw a little air under this one since there is no one in the middle to influence it. The CB is already grabbing as he’s beat, so just make the throw with a little more air. He tries to rifle it and it gets tipped and picked. Huge play in the game as it leads to a VT TD.
47.jpg

We have the play defended here to hold them to a FG. Redwine busts upfield just like I want them to do on defense. The problem is he tries to duck inside. If he goes right to the outside shoulder of this blocker and just shocks him hard he stops the runners momentum. He either then has to try and outrun him to the edge, or he has to cut back into the pursuit. I wish Malek had seen this earlier because he doesn’t even have a blocker out there if he sees this and runs upfield right now. Instead, he misses the tackle, they get to the two, score a TD a few plays later.
48.jpg

Kickoff is a touchback, again. Here is one of those famous wrinkles you’ve heard about already. I’ll be honest; their DT’s are both good. #4 and #8 are the first pair of DT’s we’ve played that even sniff our DT combo. They’ve been giving us trouble all game. The adjustment being made is to stop blocking the playside DT and just read off of him. This is not something they are used to at all. It’s a modern-day variation of a shotgun veer, truthfully. This goes for an easy first down. Though Homer probably doesn’t agree it was easy as he got popped.
49.jpg

Here’s #54 of VT throwing a dirty shot with his elbow and forearm to the back of Rosier. They call Miami dirty. VT is “blue collar” and “lunch pail” while Miami is thugtastic. This is dirty. Believe me, this is an intentional forearm punch to the back of his head and neck. Refs missed it.
50.jpg

We run that same inside zone with counter action to the backside play, only we didn’t have Herndon in the backfield to pose as a lead blocker. The play works again for a gain of seven. Not pictured.

Second down we run outside zone again and St. Louis is really struggling to get outside leverage and pin the defender. VT is really well-coached on the edge as they keep preventing us from getting outside their edge players. Granted, we ran to the short side, so you have to win quicker as a blocker. Not pictured.

Third down we pick it up on a stop route to Richards who fumbles at the end. Herndon jumps on it, but that’s a break. Richards just has been a little off all season long. Maybe it all comes together against ND next week. Not pictured.

Next play he wants Richards deep, but then comes back late to Thomas on the square-in. Rosier is late on the throw. It was there, it was absolutely there a second earlier. But by the time he tries to throw it, it’s no longer there. What is there is a giant running lane. Run the ball if it’s not there, Malik! He probably picks up three or four yards, but that keeps you on schedule. Interception number three.
51.jpg

Pinckney and Shaq are late to recognize this play, then don’t fill hard enough to plug the hole. You’d like to see Pinckney more physical with this blocker head up, so he can come off of it into the gap. He has Garvin trying to come back downhill if the runner takes the other gap. G gets out to Shaq and this is a huge running lane. If Pinckney has his shoulder squared up, or even to the inside, this play might be stopped. It goes for 15.
52.jpg

Next play is a read option and Trent Harris crashes down hard, QB pulls it, then beats Harris to the edge for a gain of five. Malek Young does a good job getting off his block and coming hard to get him off stride. Not pictured.

McIntosh wrecking plays again. Cleanly beats the G, then flushes the QB, who turfs it.
53.jpg

They run a dive on third down and pick up four. Not pictured.

On fourth down, yes, the snap was bad and messed everything up. That said, this play wasn’t going to work anyway. Young is again crashing the edge for the jet sweep motion, Joe Jackson has the QB, Pinckney comes on the blitz and is already inside of the LT. Chad Thomas is pushing the edge in on the jet sweep motion side. This play wasn’t going to work because Diaz called a perfect defensive play.
54.jpg

QB gets up in the face of Norton after Joe Jackson screamed over him (just as he was getting up off the pile, not at the QB). Norton just politely points towards his sideline as if to say, “your possession has ended, please exit the field good sir.” Never says a word. Broadcast cuts away quickly, so this was the best image I could get of him pointing.
55.jpg

Rosier pulls it again off the read against the DT. Gets three yards. Man, they hit Homer hard every time on it. Not pictured.

I was watching the play at the time and thought it was a bad call as to a personal foul against the defender, but watching it again with an eye towards what happened, it’s absolutely the right call. The ballcarrier is already stopped and being pushed back. Rosier is running out, yes, but look at this defender just load up and launch himself at Rosier. No need for it, and it was intentional to hit Rosier as hard as he could, knowing full well he didn’t have the ball. I’m sure they were drilled all week to hit the QB, hit the QB, hit the QB on the zone read plays. It’s a big call, because it would’ve been 3rd and six. This is another dirty play in my estimation upon review. McDermott got all into the defender after this.
56.jpg

Next play and Rosier comes back from that hit to make one of his best throws. Look at Rosier, he’s already letting this ball go and Herndon has his back turned to the LOS. It’s not a perfect pass from an accuracy standpoint, but it’s great anticipation. Herndon, of course, scores on this play. Richards blocks great and Berrios does just enough to get him freed up.
57.jpg
58.jpg

After a touchback, VT tries to run a sprint draw out of shotgun, Joe Jackson beats the LT off the edge and loops all the way around and makes the tackle, but the play was made by Chad Thomas staying home on the play, otherwise there is a huge running lane created by Joe Jackson going so wide. That’s where the run is supposed to go, but Thomas sniffs it out and the RB tries to go back outside of Thomas and Jackson comes around and tackles him.
59.jpg

Next play is a QB keeper off jet sweep motion. Mike Smith makes a nice tackle after a gain of five, but Jaquan and his effort takes the jet sweep man, then reverses field and comes all the way to the other side to get a hit in. His conditioning is fantastic. Not pictured.

VT picks up the first down on a stop route against Mike Jackson. I felt like he had a tiny bit too much cushion, as the catch is made right on the first down line. Not pictured.

First down and Chad Thomas rushes right at the QB and hits him as he throws. Mike Smith had nice coverage on the FB anyway. Not pictured.

Next play we rush four, but sent Mike Smith to the play side. He doesn’t get home and we dropped into coverage. Watching this live I thought they just missed a throw, but this isn’t an easy throw over Redwine and in front of Malek Young to a TE. It’s there, but it’s not easy.
60.jpg

This one though, this one is just a missed throw. This ball hits Redwine, who is inside on the 50. QB had time to set and throw, but a bad one.
61.jpg

Here is a little in-game adjustment from the coaching staff. We’ve had so much trouble getting the edge against them that we decided to double that side. We pin #99 inside, but that means Richards has to take #21 rather than his CB. That leaves him free. Homer spins and gets past the CB here for a gain of six. Excellent run, and I am in favor of making the adjustment and testing the corners tackling ability, rather than letting them shut the edge down consistently. Richards only gets a decent block or it’s a big run. Richards slapped his hands together after the play. I cannot emphasize enough how important blocking is for our WR’s in this offense. No big run happens without a good block from a receiver.
62.jpg

Next play we run inside zone with a zone read action to hold the edge. Gauthier gets pushed back by the DT and forces the RB to cutback and the free edge defender smacks Homer after a gain of two and the LB brings bad intentions. Not pictured. This VT defense is solid.

On third down Rosier anticipates the throw well, but Richards stops running. I don’t know why, but with a LB covering him, he has to beat this man and catch this ball. That’s all on him. Look at him standing here and the ball to his right. It actually hits the referee. Richt chewed Richards out after the play.
63.jpg

On the punt, Berrios misses the tackle, Derrick Smith misses the tackle, and then Michael Jackson gets him down after a good return. Not pictured.

First down and Young stays outside, but the WR beats him inside with a nice turn at the stem of his route. Good ball by the QB and a gain of 19. First down dive up-the-middle and Trent Harris makes the tackle after two. Not pictured.

On second, they run the jet sweep motion again and get a nice gain. Owens makes the tackle after five. Not pictured.

Third and short and McIntosh eats this blocker up. He blows the play up with his penetration which causes the RB to bounce it outside, when it is meant to go up-the-middle. He doesn’t make the tackle, but he makes the play.
64.jpg

Fourth down, we’ve all seen the crazy one-handed interception by Jaquan, but looks who makes that play happen. McIntosh. Again. The fact that he wasn’t on the ACC team of the week from PFF is criminal. He wrecked VT all game. I hear life as a senior is awesome, Mr. McIntosh.
65.jpg

First down and this is how you build a pocket, OL. This is the deep pass to Richards. The S steps up on the square-in to Herndon when he has to stay deep in the middle of the field. Love the route concept on the play, as we are attacking deep behind the S, in the middle in front of the S, and then short with a shallow crosser. The QB’s job is generally to work deep-to-short. If this S takes the TE and steps up, you go deep. If the S stays deep and Herndon has this route, you take that. If the LB covering the shallow crosser actually sinks and gets depth to take away the TE and the S stays deep to take away Richards, you take the shallow crosser. For good measure, Berrios is actually open on the out route as well. I counted and there’s no one over there for VT, as you can see all 11 guys in the screen (one McDermott is blocking).
66.jpg
67.jpg

Another QB draw all the way. Look at Gauthier getting out to block the LB here. If it’s a pass play that’s an illegal man downfield. He runs untouched into the end zone.
68.jpg

First down we run the DE crashing inside slant and Thomas gets there to tackle RB for no gain. Not pictured.

Second down and Malek bails really quickly on a sprint rollout to that side. WR runs a stop route and gets a first down as Young was way off. I’m guessing up 18 they’re more worried about getting beat. Not pictured.

I’ve been doing these all year, and the growth of Michael Jackson is just incredible. He’s a dude that I didn’t want on the field at the beginning of the year and now he’s a player you can’t take off of it. This coverage right here is perfect. I mean, it’s beautiful. He’s completely vertical, tracking the ball, no panic. How many times do you see a CB play the ball and not feel the need to grab? It’s rare. This man is putting together tape that has him an early entry candidate. I hear your senior year is awesome, Mr. Jackson.
69.jpg

Derrick Smith honestly has a really smooth backpedal for a man his size. He will learn that this receiver is giving away his break here. Now, the great ones can give this move and then hit the turbo button to the flag route on a double-move, but Smith plays it safe here. If he recognizes this with experience, he can drive on this ball, which is a slant route for a first down. Luckily, he drops it.
70.jpg

Another drop for VT. They weren’t ready for us.
71.jpg

Rosier on designed QB runs on first and second down pick up the first down. Not pictured.

Next play is outside zone. Gauthier gets all the way across the formation and just dives to get his reach block. Homer sticks his foot in the ground and gets eight. The backside DT for VT runs this play down from behind. #4 for VT is really good. Not pictured.

DeeJay Dallas catches a swing pass and makes two guys miss for a first down. It’s the type of run you need a gif for, but it was really good. Then he gets an inside zone carry in which the edge player blew it up quickly and he cuts it back up the middle for a gain of five. Not pictured.

Third down, need to make this throw to Herndon. It’s a tough throw, all the way across, but this is the play to ice the game right here. Step up, make a good throw, Malik. It’s high and outside.
72.jpg

Punt is fair caught at the 5. Good job, Feagles. Not pictured.

Jaquan earns all the praise he’s been given, but this is a bad play. He comes way too far inside here. If he’s a yard outside this play gains nothing. Instead it goes for 32.
73.jpg

True freshman Jonathan Garvin says give me that ball! The clean beat of the LT, the wherewithal to rake down on the QB’s arm, then he runs over and picks it up. That man is good.
74.jpg

Offense goes three-and-out as they are just trying to run out the clock. Not pictured.

Inside stunt by Joe Jackson tackles the RB for a loss of seven. He telegraphed it early, honestly, but VT wouldn’t have any way of knowing it was coming since it was a split second before the snap. Next play was a screen that Joe Jackson messed up the timing with his length. Then Michael Jackson blows it up for a TFL. Not pictured.

Malek has his arm on the hip here, and that’s honestly fine to do. It’s a penalty if you pull the receiver or turn him. I don’t see any of that here. Just picture-perfect play on the ball. Terrible call on fourth down.
75.jpg

VT takes a ton of time, but moves the ball down a few plays. Trent Harris and Joe Jackson get a sack on third down. On fourth and 17 we grab the facemask. Not pictured.

They called a personal foul on McIntosh which was a good call. Bad play here, but we’re up big. Not pictured.

Then Redwine gets the pick to preserve the scoring numbers for the defense and Sheldrick tells you what you already knew.
76.jpg

Miami was the better team in this game. It really wasn’t close. If not for a few mistakes by the Canes, this game could’ve easily been 42-3 or worse.

One thing I love to see and is something you want to have every year is that this team under Mark Richt has another gear in November. Remember last year, when they lost four straight in October and things were looking bad? Well, they turned it around in a big way in November and just rolled. The same thing is happening this year, as even though they won every game in October, they really weren’t at their best. They’re starting out November at their best and even starting to get healthy. Look out Notre Dame, the Cane Train is coming this Saturday night.

Advertisement
Thank you [MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION] for these, definitely awesome and look forward to them every week

Thought I was goin to bed at 1.. guess not..

Vision, have u watched anything on nd? What are your thoughts and how we match up defensively with what we do?

Thank you again HurricaneVision! I was wondering if you've watched any film on Notre Dame and how you think we should scheme against them on offense and defense. Your insight is always greatly appreciated!

Advertisement
Amazing work

Pete said RJ was a wing guard? That's so not true lol. He played down low for the Vipers and Gibbons

Vision, I agree with you about taking the 3 early. Yeah, I get Richt making a statement early but Miami's short-yardage run game has been so bad and at that point you thought this would be a low scoring game where every point would count

Also, that first TD drive, as you pointed out, with that one deep throw to Thomas that was out of bounds, he had a few throws that were either late or inaccurate, or late-and-inaccurate. Those are some of things he has to get better at

Question, on that one INT that was intended for Thomas, do you think Thomas was at fault? While the throw was late, doesn't Thomas have to make sure he gets across the face on that defender or at least be in a better position to break up the pass?

Anyways, great work as always

Richt even said he is normally a "take the field goal" guy, but he was so ****ed they couldn't punch it in the first three times, he went for it, knowing, worst case, they'd have to drive 95+ yards.

I like Rosier's poise and toughness but he limits our offense. Richt tries to hide his flaws but they still show.

Advertisement
Richt even said he is normally a "take the field goal" guy, but he was so ****ed they couldn't punch it in the first three times, he went for it, knowing, worst case, they'd have to drive 95+ yards.

I like the Miami version of Richt better than I do the Georgia version :)

He's aggressive, showing a lot more emotion on the sidelines, and his play calling looks more like his FSU days than UGA days.

Just wait until this guy gets a solid OL and Lingard/Cam Davis, etc. Gonna get ugly for ACC defenses.

Thank you for the effort but I don't have that kind of attention span.
I have been screaming for some motion from our offense so I was thrilled to see the very little we got against VT. I can only hope coach is saving it as IMO we need to present more challenges for the better teams will will now face post season. ND is not a major priority for me. Winning the Coastal is a tremendous accomplishment for everyone involved. If we continue to improve the last 3 games like we did last year we IMO have a legit chance to win the ACC. Further than that IMO is not realistic but would be great to try.

On offense this week. Spread the ball around. Herdon,Langford,Hardy,Cager are all under the radar (maybe not 23) capable players. Get them the ball. No more trick plays please. I love the fact that we can now finally run some screens.

On defense. Have to find a way to jam the middle early. make them run outside into our strength. Tough task. Gotta be done or we lose

Great stuff Vision. Will give me something to come back too all day in free time. My take after watching a replay is that VT is a good team and played to about their usual level but we bet the living crap out of them anyway. And that was despite 3 picks and plenty of room for improvement on both sides of the ball. I don't think we are near our peak yet. Plenty left to handle ND and Clemson when the time comes. Assuming we continue to improve and get shot at Bama, I am feeling a real chance to beat them.

We might need to play near perfect but I don't think we need them to be off their game. Their are untested this year. We know how to win. On defense does not quit on plays and that give s chance to line up again. That is something we have not seen in years. Rosier looks like he has been playing big stage games for years. May not be great QB but I want that kid in any dark alley with me. I know he will be there with something to make a difference. I am feeling 1983 all over again and have been since that TD in Tally. Huge game next week and the week after and the week .....

Advertisement
Thanks for your work Vision. I read these each week and it's extremely informative. Best Cane write up I've ever seen.

I don't see how it happens, but we'd be sick on D next year if RJ came back. IMO he has been the best player on the field in every single game thus far. I honestly don't think Norton will go as his grade will be a bit lower, and there's a million good DT's draft eligible this year.

Vision, do you think we can control the ND run game?

I think they will get some yardage, but we are really good at stuffing a run and getting an O into a long yardage situation. Teams don't run consistently on us.

HurricaneVision said:
This is something Rosier has to get better at. This ball has to be into the field of play so that Thomas can make a play. He’s got plenty of room to leave it in the field of play here. Thomas actually did a good job of running this route so that he has enough room to catch the ball. Bad throw.

Said this exact thing on one of his picks too. He needs to throw deep balls where his WR can run under them, especially when they have a speed advantage. It's something Morris did with ease and Rosier makes the catch so much more difficult by giving the DB an easy play to make.

Great stuff as always, HV.

Advertisement
Vision, great insight as usual. Point of clarification, on one of your earlier screenshots, I believe it was McCloud who broke up the screen play, not Shaq (on the one where Fowler talked about 99 problems).

Anyhow, have you watched any ND? My fear with the ND game is Wimbush's legs. I felt that if Jackson were a full step faster, he would have gashed our defenses a bit more on the read zone keeps. Wimbush will do that and considering we don't have a lot of burners in our back 7 (we do play fast, though), do you have concern over his legs?

I like Rosier's poise and toughness but he limits our offense. Richt tries to hide his flaws but they still show.

You have been so right about everything else to this point, so of course this is another one of your on the money assessments.

Vision, great insight as usual. Point of clarification, on one of your earlier screenshots, I believe it was McCloud who broke up the screen play, not Shaq (on the one where Fowler talked about 99 problems).

I promise it was Shaq. McCloud isn't on the field on that play. #55 is the Mike, presses the A gap, identifies the screen, takes a great angle through trash and stops the play.

We are actually in dime and Shaq is the only LB on the field.

On those qb slide plays richt noted how our qb hardest hits have been on slides. Said we might switch it up because u give up yards to be protected but refs aren't calling it. I think they give rosier green light to dive head first on select plays like the one near the goal line.

Advertisement
Back