Field staying as TE coach (now a maybe)

I like Gaby. He's just young and trying to learn how to do things. It's not easy learning on the fly when there are so many people to critique your work. That said, He's missed more than he's hit lately. I feel bad because so many people have called him out lately. Yesterday morning he was pushing that he couldn't see JT joining the staff in an off field role. An hour later he had an article up about JT joining the staff in an off field role. He's new and it's a new tightly run coaching staff. He's just trying to find his footing.

Advertisement
Advertisement
you're really trying to talk down on the guy. He simply reports what he is told. He could say nothing and just delete the article.

He also said he will explain what happened after it all goes down. Not sure what else he can do.
In vacuum yeah I agree with you but this what he does in recruiting.

I feel for him because his job requires him to put stuff out even though there’s nothing to update.

We weirdos who follow recruiting know things can change but if it’s your job to make predictions based on inside information stop the ridiculous hedging because it weakens your credibility.

In vacuum yeah I agree with you but this what he does in recruiting.

I feel for him because his job requires him to put stuff out even though there’s nothing to update.

We weirdos who follow recruiting know things can change but if it’s your job to make predictions based on inside information stop the ridiculous hedging because it weakens your credibility.
24/7 threw him into a spot I don't think he is actually ready for. He needed to cut his teeth outside of the spotlight of a national website in a P5 program. He just sounds inexperienced and green.

Hartley is a beast recruiter, regardless of position, but he was easily one of the worst ST's coaches we've ever had here. Our special teams got worse each year and basically climaxed Manny's 1st year as HC/Hartley's 1st year at UGA.

Patke was an improvement over Hartley in that regard.
Patke just had a better K and P. Plus Hartley found Hedley. Either way though it’s a mute point. Dennis Smith will probably be running STs.

I like Gaby. He's just young and trying to learn how to do things. It's not easy learning on the fly when there are so many people to critique your work. That said, He's missed more than he's hit lately. I feel bad because so many people have called him out lately. Yesterday morning he was pushing that he couldn't see JT joining the staff in an off field role. An hour later he had an article up about JT joining the staff in an off field role. He's new and it's a new tightly run coaching staff. He's just trying to find his footing.
I do kinda feel for the kid. He’s really the only guy at ITU who’s expected to put info out. At least he’s a fan and we don’t have to worry about competing loyalties yet.

Advertisement
agree. He shares what he can. ANd he's never tried to pretend he knows more than he does.
Seems like a good kid and unlike Ivins, I think he actually likes the U and has our best interest at heart. He definitely needs to work on the hedging though. Put out what you have/can, let everyone know its fluid and just own it. If your wrong your wrong, most people understand the deal. Cant worry about the idiots who dont.

Advertisement
Gaby literally just said that Jason Taylor wouldn’t come here in an off field role lol. Pretty much the opposite of what he’s said the whole coaching staff search has happened.

Gaby's turning into Ferman, and Ferman is turning into Feldman.

Advertisement
Hartley > Field > Brewster.

Note: If Hartley gets the nod, then Mario needs to find a way to keep Field in some off-field capacity (his value as a recruiter is too great). Brewster is just too **** corny for me, yet I recognize his actual coaching abilities might be the best among the three.

Last edited:
Pretty sure that Dennis Smith will from his off field role.
That is pretty tricky to do effectively. He cannot coach players on the field during practice or games. He can only work with them watching film and outside of practice. The NCAA is currently looking Nebraska for mis-using a Special Teams analyst in coaching .

Let me be clear PURE speculation on my part. Zero sauces! Would be wild though one can dream lol

*** For the CIS truthers lol... THIS IS NOTHING MORE THAN A PIPE DREAM POST!!! Well aware of the chances it's related to Fox broadcasting vacancy. Let me dream lol.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back