Ferman Says Al Golden Was Blindsided

Lauderdale

Redshirt Freshman
Gary Ferman says Al Golden was blindsided by the Nevin Shapiro scandal. Everyone here knew that Shapiro posed a real threat to Miami's football program. I believe that Golden was caught by surprise but should he have been? Almost everyone else new there was a pending problem. I also believe that we the fans have to support Golden and the team, we have the talent to beat all the remaining teams and that includes Florida State. To get the facts straight here's a timeline courtesy of the Miami Herald:

April 2010
Charged
Shapiro is charged in federal court in New Jersey with running a $900 million Ponzi scheme. He is held in federal custody without bond.

August 2010
Confession?
Shapiro, from prison, tells the Miami Herald that he intends to write a book alleging he gave cash and other gifts to some Canes’ football players.

August 2010
Failed contact
UM, after reading the Herald article, contacts Shapiro, but he is unwilling to share information.

September 2010
Guilty
Shapiro pleads guilty to securities fraud and money laundering in connection with his Ponzi scheme.

December 2010
No book
Shapiro decides against writing a book and begins working jointly with Yahoo! Sports.

December 13, 2010
Al Golden reported hired by ESPN as Miami's next coach.

August 16, 2011
Yahoo! report
Yahoo reports Shapiro gave improper benefits to 72 players and several coaches.

Advertisement
Gary Ferman says Al Golden was blindsided by the Nevin Shapiro scandal. Everyone here knew that Shapiro posed a real threat to Miami's football program. I believe that Golden was caught by surprise but should he have been? Almost everyone else new there was a pending problem. I also believe that we the fans have to support Golden and the team, we have the talent to beat all the remaining teams and that includes Florida State. To get the facts straight here's a timeline courtesy of the Miami Herald:

April 2010
Charged
Shapiro is charged in federal court in New Jersey with running a $900 million Ponzi scheme. He is held in federal custody without bond.

August 2010
Confession?
Shapiro, from prison, tells the Miami Herald that he intends to write a book alleging he gave cash and other gifts to some Canes’ football players.

August 2010
Failed contact
UM, after reading the Herald article, contacts Shapiro, but he is unwilling to share information.

September 2010
Guilty
Shapiro pleads guilty to securities fraud and money laundering in connection with his Ponzi scheme.

December 2010
No book
Shapiro decides against writing a book and begins working jointly with Yahoo! Sports.

December 13, 2010

August 16, 2011
Yahoo! report

Supporting the coach means no changes are made and that is a spineless attitude to take. Support the players. Support the team as a whole. Don't support the coach.

Advertisement

April 2010
Charged

August 2010
Confession?

August 2010
Failed contact

September 2010
Guilty

December 2010
No book

December 13, 2010

August 16, 2011
Yahoo! report

Ferman is such a tool box. Still toting the "Coker didnt have enough time to make adjustments" card. What a douche. 6 years and the ability to change his staff...yeah, no where near enuff time.

UM

April 2010
Charged

August 2010
Confession?

August 2010
Failed contact

September 2010
Guilty

December 2010
No book

December 13, 2010

August 16, 2011
Yahoo! report

Ferman is such a tool box. Still toting the "Coker didnt have enough time to make adjustments" card. What a douche. 6 years and the ability to change his staff...yeah, no where near enuff time.

UM

This, Golden knew, heck everyone knew. Ferman also goes on and on about how great the offense is in that article, the offense is only slightly better than the defense. The whole team is ****

Advertisement

April 2010
Charged

August 2010
Confession?

August 2010
Failed contact

September 2010
Guilty

December 2010
No book

December 13, 2010

August 16, 2011
Yahoo! report

[video=youtube;ScRCuFpTNXg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScRCuFpTNXg&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Not making excuses for Golden because i want him gone as badly as the next guy.

But none of you knew about Nevingate before the story broke. Someone show me a post prior to the story breaking where they thought something was up?

As a former supporter of Coach Golden, I can say he has done everything the U could ever ask for from a football coach-except winning. He has presented a great image of the school. He has run a clean program. His reputation as clean, good guy, likely impacted the NCAA process. He has raised lots of $$$ for the program. The one thing he has not done is produce a good defense and I suspect that at year's end he will be given the opportunity to try to fix that by firing Coach No-D. That will be the critical point in his coaching life. If he replaces the DC with the right person, there is enough talent to greatly improve next season.........if not, he will get his next job in the mid-American conference...........................

Advertisement
Ok, I'm willing to let the "process'' play out and see what Al can salvage of the season before completely tossing him under the bus. So, at this point, neither a supporter or slurper.

As for the NCAA business, I never have and never will be convinced that Al was blind-sided by the Shapiro allegations. Did he and others downplay them or never think they'd rise to the level they did? Quite possibly. But hey, Al fancies himself a bright, well-prepared CEO. He came to his job interview with a book about the size of an old Sears catalogue. He has an attorney/agent. If anyone is looking for a job, they do the basic research and check out the folks running the company and the operation's history - both of which are pretty fair game when talking about the U. The notion that neither he or his reps ever scanned the local papers and fan websites, never asked about the rumblings during the interview process, is hard to believe. If true, shame on them and a terrible indictment of his preparation.

Advertisement
The simps continue to buy the "Folden as victim" narrative that Folden perpetuated. That Shapiro mess was the best thing that ever happened to that fat piece of ****. It gave him his excuse for failure that he's duped everyone into buying.

He almost rode that thing right into the Ped State gig that he begged for. Had Charlie Strong not throat fcked him so unmercifully in the Rustled Bowl, he would have parlayed that cloud into the Ped State gig. That would have given him another 5 years at a major program where he could have swindled them out of $30M total including buyout.

As a former supporter of Coach Golden, I can say he has done everything the U could ever ask for from a football coach-except winning. He has presented a great image of the school. He has run a clean program. His reputation as clean, good guy, likely impacted the NCAA process. He has raised lots of $$$ for the program. The one thing he has not done is produce a good defense and I suspect that at year's end he will be given the opportunity to try to fix that by firing Coach No-D. That will be the critical point in his coaching life. If he replaces the DC with the right person, there is enough talent to greatly improve next season.........if not, he will get his next job in the mid-American conference...........................

There's that "clean program" myth again. Why do people think he's running a clean program? Because he's hot a nice haircut? Rapes, drug use like a crack den, theft, fights. You name it. His program has been a disaster off the field.

Sorry. I want Golden canned as much as the next guy, but this is bull**** revisionist history. He was absolutely blindsided.

In August 2010, the Shapiro stuff was a mild rumor. Most people chalked it up to a disgruntled groupie spewing loads of garbage. Nobody thought anyone would take Shapiro seriously because he clearly had an ax to grind and was a convicted, professional conman. I know that's how I felt. In fact, it was such a non-story that I completely forgot about the whole thing until the story dropped in August 2011 (or, more likely, some poster gave us the heads up a week before).

At best, if he did his due diligence, Golden may have seen some smoke. At worst, he was completely blindsided. Regardless, there's no way he could have predicted what actually unfolded. There is not a person on this planet, not even Nevin Shapiro himself, who envisioned the investigation being drawn out like it was.

I'd love for him to get fired tomorrow, but y'all should be glad we had Golden during the sanctions. If there's one good thing he did for us, it's not leaving when he had the chance. That would've been the stake through the heart. He held the program together during a dark time. He deserves credit for standing with us but it's time for the program to move on.

Advertisement
Back