Feldman on Manny Navarro Podcast

Hold on, am I seeing this right for Nussmeier as OC at UofM/UF??

2014 - Total O (112th)
2015 - Total O (111th)
2016 - Total O (116th)
2017 - Total O (109th)

WITF is this man’s name remotely being spoken out of The Hecht? What IN ThEe FOCk was The Cowboys thinking hiring this dude?? WHY Is Bruce Feldman BULLISH on this bull chit??! What r we talking about here??

Interesting so in the odd years he does get better. We happen to be in an odd year

Advertisement
Right? It doesn't make sense. Unless maybe someone like Alonzo or Steele was willing to give him that feedback that others weren't?
Feldman said Mario had some tough conversation with his former Maribal about staff changes and other stuff

So we went from “we don’t have enough talent to beat Middle Tennessee” to “we’re replacing half the staff” in a matter of a few months. And surprise, surprise, not only was Gattis a garbage coach, he’s also a garbage person. Mario should apologize to Keyshawn Smith’s mom.

Advertisement
“A lot of dead weight” is maybe a couple guys.

I can see Addae, Joe moving on. But who else?
Does Mario get a pass for this? We didn’t bring him in at $7m to hire yet another dead weight staff. And having to replace half the staff after one year like always seem to need to do sets us even further back.

8 Million* and yes he gets a pass. It was 1 year Christ
We say that every first year after our heads coaches first choice, great decision offense and defensive coordinator’s get switched out. This isn’t Mario’s first year as a coach. We didn’t pay him to come in and try out ransoms for a few years. He should have the experience and contacts to get the right guys the first time. Is that really a big ask, know who you are hiring and hire the right guys? Or do you just like to keep trying out a new system for the next few years? CHRIST!

Advertisement
So we went from “we don’t have enough talent to beat Middle Tennessee” to “we’re replacing half the staff” in a matter of a few months. And surprise, surprise, not only was Gattis a garbage coach, he’s also a garbage person. Mario should apologize to Keyshawn Smith’s mom.

Mario wanted to sniff out the weak links on the roster, the players did the same w/ the staff. Sheds a lot more light on why last year was such a dysfunctional cluster.

#DontMakeYourWifeComePickUpYourCorch

Advertisement
This is what I have been saying. But if insiders say he’s good I’m fine with him staying. Just haven’t heard anyone say anything positive or negative about hkm
Cause Jason Taylor’s the SFL media darling for whatever reason so whenever they’re around they watch him coach and rod is by and large a ghost.. however all those edges committed to him. He did that work.. and he helped recruit a few more big time guys.

We say that every first year after our heads coaches first choice, great decision offense and defensive coordinator’s get switched out. This isn’t Mario’s first year as a coach. We didn’t pay him to come in and try out ransoms for a few years. He should have the experience and contacts to get the right guys the first time. Is that really a big ask, know who you are hiring and hire the right guys? Or do you just like to keep trying out a new system for the next few years? CHRIST!
In a perfect world things go smoother in year 1. But that doesn’t always happen and it’s not an indicator of success. Kirby and Saban struggled in year 1 at bama and Georgia.

The facts are Mario has ran a big time program successfully in the past. So yes he should get a pass.

He came in and tried to flip the program in a year. It was too much to do. It’s going to take a few years and instead of just putting a list of big name assistants around him (like he did year 1) he’s not finding guys for the long haul. I’ll buy into that.

Now if it doesn’t work in 2-3 years. We riot. You in?

Advertisement
Brother, we’ve discussed this ad nauseam. Whether that was:

1. “Allegedly” sleeping w/ Xavier Worthy’s mom, which led his de-commitment from Michigan & landing at UT

2. B/c of his improprieties, not allowed to be on the recruiting trail while at Michigan

3. His issues w/ Michigan’s Admin

4. His departing text to some Michigan Players about how unappreciated he was in Ann Arbor

5. A little rift that existed between Locksley & Gattis while at Bama which manifested itself in the 2019 B1G kick off.

Dude is a mess, so it doesn’t surprise me to hear Ponce hated him. Apparently, bro thinks very highly of himself w/ a lack of humility.
If you’ve never met Josh gattis he walks through every door like it was made for him. Dude has a God complex 100% and has been that way since Bama

Didn’t Mario bring Joe from Oregon? Why do guys wait until they are with us before turning into JAGs? Lol
I remember some posters were wary of him when he was hired. I didn’t know much about him but I think it was understood that his value didn’t go past his connections in the Polynesian Community which appears to have held true at Miami

Listened to it this morning and Feldman said it was both.

Honestly the interview made me feel better in some ways:

- Feldman claims even he saw the lack of talent (especially on offense) at a practice he went to last August so
- Mario realizes there are issues with the staff ("deadweight" and "rocky relationships") and is trying to address them

But worse in others:

- Why has Mario been so bad at seeing the issues and/or bad at how he approaches them:
- the way he hired the coaching staff; both hiring the assistants before the coordinators and ending up with coaches that are not carrying their weight compared to what Mario expects​
- Adding a bunch of defensive players through the portal last year, but not much in the way of the offense that also needed help​
- Mario's hiring process really rubs a lot of candidates the wrong way (and if it is so long and arduous, how is he still missing so badly)
- Potential coaches know the staffing situation is not great at the moment

None of this is new, but hearing it from Feldman who is a national reporter with connections to Mario as well (which cuts both ways) was interesting. It really was a solid listen if just for getting another point of view.

Advertisement
Back