Feely on the Quarterbacks

Kind of torn on this one. I don't need a workout warrior at QB. Give me a guy who can read defenses, make good decisions make throws and rally the fellas and I don't really care if he's a weight room guy or not. I'm sure guys like Bernie, Kenny, Steve, et al were not weight room all stars.
Of course not.

I don't think there's much more to take from that comment by Feeley than Perry isn't a gym rat.

Obviously you can extrapolate that into when three players have been told that the job will be won in the summer with the work they do away from the coaches and one of them is doing as much as he can - it tells you who's going to win the job.

But we'll see in camp.

Advertisement
The only quarterback I want to hear about excelling in the weight room is Tate because he is going to have to rely on his explosiveness to win the job.

And I don’t care who wins. I have full trust in Enos to make that decision

Advertisement
LOL, you mean like Spencer Whipple who Folden put #1 on the depth chart based off weight room numbers?
I like For qb to have all of the intangibles and everything that comes with being a qb. The talent, work ethic, knowing X’s and O’s. All of it

Advertisement
It's 2019 and the NFL is still full of quarterbacks who are hardly animals in the weight room. I understand being fit but I don't care about having Dan Kendra under center.

As usual, people making way too much over this weight room stuff for QBs. Sure I like my quarterbacks to have a strong core, strong lower body.

But as far as getting super musclebound up top, I don’t know of a single successful quarterback in college or the pros that spends a ton of time with that. In fact there’s a risk/benefit consideration with quarterbacks lifting especially upper body/arms. You don’t want to do it because of the risk of injury, repetitive injury or straining the throwing arm. I’m sure it’s a completely different type of upper body workout and not one where they have to bust a hump.

I’d much rather he be out throwing with the receivers, working on routes, on timing, and in the film room. Weight room training should be part of it, as well as conditioning. But quarterbacks have other things that they need to spend much more time on than other players.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think you guys are missing the point. All of them are putting in the work in the gym. That seemed to be clear in Feely's comments. Clearer was the fact that Martell was putting in extra running with the linemen. That is more about building respect and camaraderie with the team, especially the guys protecting your @ss. Martell seems to see the bigger picture of what he can bring to the team, more than just throwing balls to receivers, learning the playbook, and completing his required reps in the weight room.

lol, that is true. Honestly, I want the best man to win(which I know Enos is going to have happen). If that turns out to be some random walk-on, I would still be happy. That said, I am pulling for Kosi for the reasons above. I always like to pull for the kids who had no advantages growing up.
Yea I've seen you only bust the balls of those with cha-ching.

It's 2019 and the NFL is still full of quarterbacks who are hardly animals in the weight room. I understand being fit but I don't care about having Dan Kendra under center.

Like who? Brady is a nutrition and workout animal. All the athletic QB’s have to be strong to run in the NFL. Good QB’s today are rarely sleeping on the gym

Advertisement
Back