Feels different this cycle

Advertisement
A lot of great points in here from @Ethnicsands , @Zbrod95 and others. The approach seems more self-assured and less chaotic on the surface and I understand that they are really doing a stellar job in sub-surface ways we don’t see. When you see or hear about the visits we’re getting and who - and the positivity, it says a lot about the staff’s performance.

Advertisement
Plenty is different - first class that had covid full cycle, so they’re late getting out to visit places.

But we also have new coaches with recruiting reputations, and maybe manny’s learned something.

Not making a prediction, because anything can happen, but feels to me like the staff is recruiting with a bit more self-confidence, like they’ve done it before. They’re not rushing for commitments. Telling kids to take visits. Stewart is a big deal. He seems really interested. Bissainthe is critical. Fingers crossed for Kelly but they’re trying. Wilson, Rogers, Graves seem like we’re doing our part.

Oh, and we can all go back and re-read the Jacurri Brown thread next winter. Kid’s got all the potential in the world. And is a leader.

If manny figured out recruiting, we may be relevant again. This class, if it comes together, will be the difference. We haven’t had two good classes in a row in eons.

Trending up.

@RVACane
U know when me and you are giving credit u know the **** is real. I agree with everything u said.

Agreed. But the behaviors amd feedback via interviews sounds like we’re not just flailing, Hard to explain bjt feels different to me than the past.
Facts that's why after the barbecue u seen me positive cause it feels real. It feels legit and different....those kids don't seem to be blowing smoke up the coaches azzes. Also it seems like the staff as a whole is learning this game.

Last edited:
Plenty is different - first class that had covid full cycle, so they’re late getting out to visit places.

But we also have new coaches with recruiting reputations, and maybe manny’s learned something.

Not making a prediction, because anything can happen, but feels to me like the staff is recruiting with a bit more self-confidence, like they’ve done it before. They’re not rushing for commitments. Telling kids to take visits. Stewart is a big deal. He seems really interested. Bissainthe is critical. Fingers crossed for Kelly but they’re trying. Wilson, Rogers, Graves seem like we’re doing our part.

Oh, and we can all go back and re-read the Jacurri Brown thread next winter. Kid’s got all the potential in the world. And is a leader.

If manny figured out recruiting, we may be relevant again. This class, if it comes together, will be the difference. We haven’t had two good classes in a row in eons.

Trending up.

@RVACane
Miami is always relevant

Advertisement

Trending up.

@RVACane
Patke is weak at recruiting and at coaching LBs, but I agree with everything you posted

Cautiously optimistic. More on approach than outcome. It’s an uncertain business but it feels like we’re executing a plan more consistently than before. Where it ends up I don’t know. We’ve got some legit recruiters on staff now, but it’s the overall approach I’m sensing. There’s that old adage about two bulls on a hill. One says to the other ‘pop, let’s run down there and eff*one a dem cows.’ Pop responds ‘no, son, let’s walk down there and eff* them all.’ Feels like we’re growin up as recruiters.

Advertisement
Ok I will play, if that is your attitude, then why be on a recruiting forum at all?

A photo of a typical mope:

1623614581855.png

IMO, it’s a down year in SFL, and that will make it very difficult to secure anything better than a Top 15 class. We’ll see.
Down year at WR/RB but loaded at Corner and EDGE. Could end up with almost all of our commits at those two positions being Top 247 guys. Having a higher average rating per recruit is def more important than where we end up anyways. But I do think that a lot of other top programs will end up taking smaller classes as well so I’m curious to see how this goes.

Last year was very similar.We landed Williams and Taylor and were trending for Marshall at one point.With better recruiters on staff now this class should be even better than

Last year was very similar.We landed Williams and Taylor and were trending for Marshall at one point.With better recruiters on staff now this class should be even better than last.
What's the O/U on Marshall this season...I sense portal vibes coming with him eventually???

Advertisement
I agree w/ the OP...however, we’ve recently had back to back good recruiting classes (on paper, not hindsight)

2017 - #12 class
2018 - #8 class (highest per avg. recruited class since 2005)
This feels different. 2018 and 2008 felt like anomalous recruiting surges. I’m getting the impression that this regime has the ability to built sustained recruiting momentum.

Patke is weak at recruiting and at coaching LBs, but I agree with everything you posted
Weak at recruiting? Yep.

Weak at coaching LBs? Not so sure. For the record, he coached strikers for the past 3 years and not the LBs. The players at striker all improved under his tutelage and the striker position was arguably our best performing unit. Many believe he is a very good teacher and knowledgeable football coach despite his inability to relate to many kids on the recruiting trail.

I am willing to give him a chance and see what he can do with the underperforming LB unit.

Advertisement
Back