Favour Aire transferring

Auburn had two guys bigger than 6 10 drafted in the first round last year. USC was the 4th largest team in the country. Duke has had monster front lines each of the last two years. We've done fine against size. The only two exceptions were when we played the eventual national champions, in late March and early April.

Yes, if we could add some AAs in the front court, I'm for that lol. Everyone is.

But most of us are against throwing out our small ball identity to try to get over "the hump" of not winning a national title. This is UM basketball. The only reason we're even having this discussion is because of our small ball identity. If we played a traditional lineup the last two years, we're probably arguing about whether L should be fired instead of having this discussion.

But yeah sure, sign me up for a McDonald's AA big lol. In the more likely scenario that we can't land one of them, we should double down on small ball and maybe add a rotational big to give us some more depth.
It's hyperbole to think it requires adding a 6 10, 7 foot AA. Against UConn Omier seemed to be playing not to foul because he realized how important he was to stay on the court. You have to relieve the pressure from him. All it may take is, as you put it, adding a rotational big for depth, someone proven from the portal. I sense that Coach has already tried from high school.

Advertisement
When football posters visit the basketball board telling an elite eight then a final four team how to get better…

The 2013 team completely debunks the notion that L doesn’t value size.

We didn’t have size because before last year we couldn’t recruit a blue chip big. Those are the literal toughest players to get and all the mid major bigs who end up being players had major question marks coming out of high school.

Aire transferring doesn’t mean L doesn’t value size… it means he probably wasn’t worth what he was demanding. If you watched any of the games, he was pretty much unplayable this year. He seemed to pick up a foul a minute against any decent team.

Before making this post about valuing bigs, you should see who we get from the portal. We also have a 6’10 baller coming in this cycle.
So with that logic because I played football I don't comprehend basketball is what you're saying? Kool. When you just used a lone 2013 team as the arguing point that he values size? #1 all the size on that team beyond tonye jekiri he didn't recruit. Also if you wanna argue that point further,other than kadji (who never played the role of a big at all. He literally carried that team with his shooting from all over the court if I remember correctly )the big who was on the team who had proved his value in Reggie Johnson his production and his minutes played etc went down. His starts disappeared. You literally used an arguing point of a team that proved what I'm saying. But let's pretend you knew what you're talking about and act like bigs played a legit role OF A BIG on that team. Than much like most football posters you're dwelling on nothing but the past to show a result. Your squad has multiple years in the form of every single season he's been here except 2013 where he's proved bigs don't play a significant role on his teams and to recruit a 6-9 guy at best in nwoko doesn't change that narrative. Hopefully he has another growth spurt. But until he does than it is what it is. A 6-11 200 lber isn't a big either by the way and his minutes played this season and his plan moving forward (since they just had exit meetings where the staff talks about your place in the program next season)obviously wasn't something that showed the kid he had a place here. He's not wrong to move on. But I'll go back to the football board now where atleast their dillusion is founded on something I suppose. By the way this football player has a top 50 overall across all boards & a top big his class big as a nephew. I might comprehend a lil more about the game than you seem to give me credit for. Obviously the game has changed. But an inside presence still requires a certain body structure to compete with everyone defensively or on the boards. Don't attempt to argue that. Unless ur gonna use rodman or chuck as ur soap box.

When football posters visit the basketball board telling an elite eight then a final four team how to get better…

The 2013 team completely debunks the notion that L doesn’t value size.

We didn’t have size because before last year we couldn’t recruit a blue chip big. Those are the literal toughest players to get and all the mid major bigs who end up being players had major question marks coming out of high school.

Aire transferring doesn’t mean L doesn’t value size… it means he probably wasn’t worth what he was demanding. If you watched any of the games, he was pretty much unplayable this year. He seemed to pick up a foul a minute against any decent team.

Before making this post about valuing bigs, you should see who we get from the portal. We also have a 6’10 baller coming in this cycle.
Agree. One of L’s strengths has always been that he’s not a particularly dogmatic coach when it comes to playing style. He’s always adjusted to whatever he has to work with on a given roster.

Advertisement
To be clear I'm not saying larranaga doesn't know what he's doing. I think he's a **** good if not great coach. BUT I just wish he'd change up a lil bit his approach to how he builds his teams. I really wish he'd prioritize some size a lil bit more. I realize why he doesn't go after bigs because he doesn't want to slow down the flow of the game. He doesn't want to have to have his fast paced team plodding down the court. But there's plenty of size that's not an issue with now. I wish he'd try to bring some of that in. Because a 6-7 omier as great and important as he is, was basically not even on the court when we ran into his same type of talent and motor with some more size. Even when the 7-2 kid came on the court. He just couldn't compete with that size and honestly it's wrong to expect him to.

To be clear I'm not saying larranaga doesn't know what he's doing. I think he's a **** good if not great coach. BUT I just wish he'd change up a lil bit his approach to how he builds his teams. I really wish he'd prioritize some size a lil bit more. I realize why he doesn't go after bigs because he doesn't want to slow down the flow of the game. He doesn't want to have to have his fast paced team plodding down the court. But there's plenty of size that's not an issue with now. I wish he'd try to bring some of that in. Because a 6-7 omier as great and important as he is, was basically not even on the court when we ran into his same type of talent and motor with some more size. Even when the 7-2 kid came on the court. He just couldn't compete with that size and honestly it's wrong to expect him to.
The point you are trying to make just comes across as unnecessarily critical.

This was the smallest team Coach L has had in his tenure. Last season, he had 6'11 Sam W.

Furthermore, basketball is not all about size. Yea Uconn beat us, but Arkansas, Houston, and Texas didnt and they were all bigger teams than us.

Duke was a huge team and didn't go far at all.

Its nice to have size for sure, but its not the end all be all. Larranaga runs whatever system best fits the players he can get and I'm sure our past two great seasons will attract a good big in the portal this time around.

Our track record with bigs out of HS has not been good the last several years:

Rodney Miller - never developed
Deng Gak - never developed
Anthony Walker - still hasn’t developed
Matt Cross - transferred
Favour Aire - transferred

Really the last one to develop into a decent player was Sam.
Decent doesn't equal great (or even "very very good") so I agree with all including your last sentence. I just wonder how much NIL$ now has to do with these several portal exits... I could imagine for whatever reason Ruiz or others isn't ready to give them big bucks for next year, as they are bench-riders or undeveloped or worse, and somewhere else might find them getting a bigger piece of the (NIL) pie. This may be the new PortalPie$ predicament.

So with that logic because I played football I don't comprehend basketball is what you're saying? Kool. When you just used a lone 2013 team as the arguing point that he values size? #1 all the size on that team beyond tonye jekiri he didn't recruit. Also if you wanna argue that point further,other than kadji (who never played the role of a big at all. He literally carried that team with his shooting from all over the court if I remember correctly )the big who was on the team who had proved his value in Reggie Johnson his production and his minutes played etc went down. His starts disappeared. You literally used an arguing point of a team that proved what I'm saying. But let's pretend you knew what you're talking about and act like bigs played a legit role OF A BIG on that team. Than much like most football posters you're dwelling on nothing but the past to show a result. Your squad has multiple years in the form of every single season he's been here except 2013 where he's proved bigs don't play a significant role on his teams and to recruit a 6-9 guy at best in nwoko doesn't change that narrative. Hopefully he has another growth spurt. But until he does than it is what it is. A 6-11 200 lber isn't a big either by the way and his minutes played this season and his plan moving forward (since they just had exit meetings where the staff talks about your place in the program next season)obviously wasn't something that showed the kid he had a place here. He's not wrong to move on. But I'll go back to the football board now where atleast their dillusion is founded on something I suppose. By the way this football player has a top 50 overall across all boards & a top big his class big as a nephew. I might comprehend a lil more about the game than you seem to give me credit for. Obviously the game has changed. But an inside presence still requires a certain body structure to compete with everyone defensively or on the boards. Don't attempt to argue that. Unless ur gonna use rodman or chuck as ur soap box.

You’re missing the whole point and it has nothing to do with your understanding of basketball.

Of course L wants a dominant front court. But at Miami the only way to get a dominant front court was to get really lucky or use a bunch of scholarships on projects and hope one hits.

The small ball of the last couple years was a product of NOT BEING ABLE TO GET elite level bigs, a couple of development projects not panning out, and making the best of what was available.

The notion that L WANTS to play small is absurd. He wants to win, and uses what he has available to do so.

The last 2 classes - where recruiting has started to reflect the success of the program - included a 6’11 top 150 player (Aire) and a 6’10 top 100 player (Nwoko).

I get that Aire wasn’t ready to play this year and now he’s gone… but I wouldn’t have traded our final four trip for Aire getting more minutes and staying.

Point is that this whole notion of L doesn’t want or care about size is ABSURD. Yeah, he doesn’t want size that becomes a liability (like so many mediocre bigs who can’t switch, etc)… but he absolutely wants size. He just hasn’t been in a position to get it until the last year.

Advertisement
The level of “self-confidence” you have to have to proclaim that a coach who took his team (unranked preseason) to the final four mismanaged his roster or failed to develop and prepare his team… hooooo boy.

Dunning Kruger in full effect.
Coach L and staff (and we fans) got very lucky this year that there were very few starter injuries that lasted any length of time. We really were thin and if that had happened we might not be complimenting player development (of the 3 guys that exited this week, perhaps for better/more NIL hope$)

Thing is, I think he WOULD HAVE brought in more size before the adidas scandal. So we've had to play "small" as more of a necessity than a specific stylistic choice.

Again, not arguing with anyone, and I'd love to see Coach L snag a couple of bigs who can shoot, like the Portal kid from Michigan.

The point you are trying to make just comes across as unnecessarily critical.

This was the smallest team Coach L has had in his tenure. Last season, he had 6'11 Sam W.

Furthermore, basketball is not all about size. Yea Uconn beat us, but Arkansas, Houston, and Texas didnt and they were all bigger teams than us.

Duke was a huge team and didn't go far at all.

Its nice to have size for sure, but its not the end all be all. Larranaga runs whatever system best fits the players he can get and I'm sure our past two great seasons will attract a good big in the portal this time around.
bingo

We are making points only in extremes and absolutes. “We can’t compete when the other team has or builds around size” is disproven by looking at some of the very teams that we beat the last two years that do that. If the argument is that your opinion is we have a better chance at a natty if we have multiple big men, then fine. But to say we can’t compete is absurd

Advertisement
There's a very active (and somewhat concerning) thread in the football forum about Ruiz and LifeWallet's financial(stock and profit) woes. Anyone else think that "situation" could potentially be related to all the "exits"? Some still think Ruiz may not represent the vast majority of NIL funding, but others aren't so sure, and I find it hard to believe anything other than Money Talks, No-NIL Walks.

There's a very active (and somewhat concerning) thread in the football forum about Ruiz and LifeWallet's financial(stock and profit) woes. Anyone else think that "situation" could potentially be related to all the "exits"? Some still think Ruiz may not represent the vast majority of NIL funding, but others aren't so sure, and I find it hard to believe anything other than Money Talks, No-NIL Walks.
No. Just you.

Will Smith GIF

Making room for transfers. I think kids are going to be lined up to play for coach L

The only line players are in right now is "Self Checkout".
This is about to be a rebuild job.

Advertisement
We are making points only in extremes and absolutes.
You're right ... when it gets to the final 4. You're generally talking about teams that are very talented. They are the outliers.
“We can’t compete when the other team has or builds around size” is disproven by looking at some of the very teams that we beat the last two years that do that.
No one has said this.
If the argument is that your opinion is we have a better chance at a natty if we have multiple big men, then fine.
Bingo. It's about being able to match up against bigger teams. Unless you have a 7 foot unicorn, you need more than one guy that can pitch in and be effective.
But to say we can’t compete is absurd

Last edited:
You’re missing the whole point and it has nothing to do with your understanding of basketball.

Of course L wants a dominant front court. But at Miami the only way to get a dominant front court was to get really lucky or use a bunch of scholarships on projects and hope one hits.

The small ball of the last couple years was a product of NOT BEING ABLE TO GET elite level bigs, a couple of development projects not panning out, and making the best of what was available.

The notion that L WANTS to play small is absurd. He wants to win, and uses what he has available to do so.

The last 2 classes - where recruiting has started to reflect the success of the program - included a 6’11 top 150 player (Aire) and a 6’10 top 100 player (Nwoko).

I get that Aire wasn’t ready to play this year and now he’s gone… but I wouldn’t have traded our final four trip for Aire getting more minutes and staying.

Point is that this whole notion of L doesn’t want or care about size is ABSURD. Yeah, he doesn’t want size that becomes a liability (like so many mediocre bigs who can’t switch, etc)… but he absolutely wants size. He just hasn’t been in a position to get it until the last year.
Id be curious to see if he really WANTS size. I believe he wants some size at the 4 but I also think we don't even recruit elite bigs. I know 4 of which in this class and next class that have said as much. But I get what y'all are saying. I just have a different opinion. No biggie I could easily be wrong and I'd hope I am. But that's what his teams have always seemed to me. I don't consider Sam to be size either. He played **** near his entire time with us mainly on the perimeter. It's more a style of play thing for me I guess. But again I happily admit I'm lil more than a casual basketball fan. I'd love to see this become the norm when he builds this team out in some version of that reality. I wanna see us compete at this level when regularity comes back. Maybe this is simply what basketball is now with some of the dinosaur names of the game stepping away as coaches.

Id be curious to see if he really WANTS size. I believe he wants some size at the 4 but I also think we don't even recruit elite bigs. I know 4 of which in this class and next class that have said as much. But I get what y'all are saying. I just have a different opinion. No biggie I could easily be wrong and I'd hope I am. But that's what his teams have always seemed to me. I don't consider Sam to be size either. He played **** near his entire time with us mainly on the perimeter. It's more a style of play thing for me I guess. But again I happily admit I'm lil more than a casual basketball fan. I'd love to see this become the norm when he builds this team out in some version of that reality. I wanna see us compete at this level when regularity comes back. Maybe this is simply what basketball is now with some of the dinosaur names of the game stepping away as coaches.

I also think the NBA has put such a premium on shooting that it's hard to see a pathway to the pros for the old-fashioned down-low bruiser.

Thing is, I think he WOULD HAVE brought in more size before the adidas scandal. So we've had to play "small" as more of a necessity than a specific stylistic choice.

Again, not arguing with anyone, and I'd love to see Coach L snag a couple of bigs who can shoot, like the Portal kid from Michigan.
When I went with my nephews to his game against Michigan we had an unofficial with Juwan. I sat around with hunter for awhile. That would be amazing to get that kid here. Doubt it though. Doubt we even go after him.

Advertisement
Back