Favour Aire transferring

Advertisement
The level of “self-confidence” you have to have to proclaim that a coach who took his team (unranked preseason) to the final four mismanaged his roster or failed to develop and prepare his team… hooooo boy.

Dunning Kruger in full effect.
Peak Miami fans. Did we beat multiple teams with legit front courts just in the last 30 days? Meanwhile multiple teams with “legit bigs” got bounced early or didn’t see the light of day. FFS our big averaged a double double in conference play. Some people, man

Peak Miami fans. Did we beat multiple teams with legit front courts just in the last 30 days? Meanwhile multiple teams with “legit bigs” got bounced early or didn’t see the light of day. FFS our big averaged a double double in conference play. Some people, man

The issue is they post all over the board and other posters fail to remember they don’t really know as much as they think they do… or have a pretty clear bias…

It is what makes these boards terrible at times and only worth the antics … it’s a legit reason why the merch thread will be ******* fantastic and discussion threads are mind numbing…

But anyway, the portal, let’s ******* hit it… maybe we can get a dominant big man like that kid from Purdue that lead them to the Natty….

Did we not just get to the Final Four for the first time in the program’s history? Whatever we are doing is working. We just ran into a UConn team that was on a historic run.
It can work for most of the schedule and the early rounds of the tournament. But if you run deep into the tournament, you'll eventually match up against teams that can make it difficult to execute. Shooting can be streaky. You need to have a plan (and the skill sets) to generate offense when the shots are not falling.

When we ran into UConn, Omier can't do it alone.

Will Smith GIF

Making room for transfers. I think kids are going to be lined up to play for coach L

Advertisement
Most teams in college have one "legit big". With Omier, you can beat them if shots are falling. The problem is matching you against a team with depth in the front court that also has guards that can match up with you.

There are not many college teams built like that and those that exist, tend to run deep into post season play. The conversation we're now having has shifted from being happy to be in the tournament to being a national championship level team.

I always was under the impression that Da Lucky One was a good poster, but man the stuff I've been reading from him the last few weeks is mind numbing.

The UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI (caps for emphasis) just had an Elite 8 appearance, followed by a final four appearance where we lost to the eventual Champs, finished #3 in the poll in the country, and Co-ACC champions...and he's being critical of L and been pointing out negatives non stop the last few weeks.

Wtf am I reading right now.

It can work for most of the schedule and the early rounds of the tournament. But if you run deep into the tournament, you'll eventually match up against teams that can make it difficult to execute. Shooting can be streaky. You need to have a plan (and the skill sets) to generate offense when the shots are not falling.

When we ran into UConn, Omier can't do it alone.

It didn't work in the early rounds of the tournament - it worked into April lol. Come on. We beat a huge Auburn team last year, a big IU team, and an extremely physical Houston team.

And it's not that shots didn't fall Saturday - layups didn't fall either. There's no game plan to get around that.

Yes, more size would be nice. But don't be so deterministic. Just bc we lost doesn't mean it was inevitable that we would lose. We play that game 10 times and we win 2 or 3. With some more size, maybe that's 4 or 5, but with some scoring, or more 3 pt shooting, etc, that's also probably 4 or 5.

We lost because UConn was better, not bigger.

It didn't work in the early rounds of the tournament - it worked into April lol. Come on. We beat a huge Auburn team last year, a big IU team, and an extremely physical Houston team.

And it's not that shots didn't fall Saturday - layups didn't fall either. There's no game plan to get around that.

Yes, more size would be nice. But don't be so deterministic. Just bc we lost doesn't mean it was inevitable that we would lose. We play that game 10 times and we win 2 or 3. With some more size, maybe that's 4 or 5, but with some scoring, or more 3 pt shooting, etc, that's also probably 4 or 5.

The criticism of L is insanely stupid. The program and team has overachieved at a MIND BOGGLING level the last two years.

L has put together the best teams possible given the circumstances and resources - and has achieved stunning results.

Many think (driven by insane media coverage) Miami is in a league of their own with NIL… so we should be able to get anyone we want.

News Flash: the traditional basketball powers (plus some SEC schools) are still likely outspending us in NIL.

Now… all that having been said… we lost because UConn was bigger AND could match our athleticism and intensity.

With the changing stature of the program, I’m hopeful we will be able to bring in the kind of size that makes us a contender (and that we didn’t have access to as a program the last decade). Size don’t matter if they can’t move and play… and there’s a REALLY small pool of big guys who can really move and play.

Advertisement

I mean seriously!!

Uconn has at minimum two first rounders on that squad - lottery pick first rounders. As well as other ballers PLUS size.

Who are our first founders?

We got beat by the better team on a night our shots weren’t falling. Could we beat them? Sure… but we’d have to play a **** near flawless game. Simple as that.

It didn't work in the early rounds of the tournament - it worked into April lol. Come on.
What are you talking about?
We beat a huge Auburn team last year, a big IU team, and an extremely physical Houston team.
They had one big that was troublesome, and we shot well.
Yep, and if you watched on many of those layups the guards had to make acrobatic moves just to get the ball against the back board. Even those shots were altered.
Didn't mean to suggest it was inevitable. Just meant to suggest that you're reducing your odds as you suggest by giving us only 2-3 chances out of 10. There something to be said about versatility and being multiple.
It's because of both. UConn was better and bigger. Being bigger let them pressure us in a way that impacted us most when the shots didn't fall.

This is about playing the percentages. If you keep going against teams that are bigger and also athletic, you are at a continual disadvantage. You're relying on everything going your way. Eventually you'll have a game when it doesn't. Unfortunately for us, it happened against UConn.

And none of this is meant to be a criticism of Coach L, he's done a masterful job.

Last edited:
The irony is that when Coach L discusses his recruiting philosophy, he is quick to tell everyone that he feels guys from DC and further north through PA to VT are more prepared to play as freshman when they get to college.
However, when they come to Miami, a large majority of them sit on his bench as freshman.
So I wonder, where is the disconnect?
I think Chris Lykes is the only exception to that rule.
Even Wong sat as a freshman until injuries forced him on the court.

Times have changed... portal hunting has replaced high school 5 star recruiting
We have some proof of pudding with portals instead of overhyped agent's video clips

Most teams in college have one "legit big". With Omier, you can beat them if shots are falling. The problem is matching you against a team with depth in the front court that also has guards that can match up with you.

There are not many college teams built like that and those that exist, tend to run deep into post season play. The conversation we're now having has shifted from being happy to be in the tournament to being a national championship level team.

Our primary flaw was having to keep Omeir from foul trouble because we didn't have a good backup big man who could come in and dominate for 15 to 20 mins a game. Omier got psyched out of his natural game by having to stay out of foul trouble

Advertisement
What are you talking about?

They had one big that was troublesome, and we shot well.

Yep, and if you watched on many of those layups the guards had to make acrobatic moves just to get the ball against the back board. Even those shots were altered.

Didn't mean to suggest it was inevitable. Just meant to suggest that you're reducing your odds as you suggest by giving us only 2-3 chances out of 10. There something to be said about versatility and being multiple.

It's because of both. UConn was better and bigger. Being bigger let them pressure us in a way that impacted us most when the shots didn't fall.

This is about playing the percentages. If you keep going against teams that are bigger and also athletic, you are at a continual disadvantage. You're relying on everything going your way. Eventually you'll have a game when it doesn't. Unfortunately for us, it happened against UConn.

And none of this is meant to be a criticism of Coach L, he's done a masterful job.

Auburn had two guys bigger than 6 10 drafted in the first round last year. USC was the 4th largest team in the country. Duke has had monster front lines each of the last two years. We've done fine against size. The only two exceptions were when we played the eventual national champions, in late March and early April.

Yes, if we could add some AAs in the front court, I'm for that lol. Everyone is.

But most of us are against throwing out our small ball identity to try to get over "the hump" of not winning a national title. This is UM basketball. The only reason we're even having this discussion is because of our small ball identity. If we played a traditional lineup the last two years, we're probably arguing about whether L should be fired instead of having this discussion.

But yeah sure, sign me up for a McDonald's AA big lol. In the more likely scenario that we can't land one of them, we should double down on small ball and maybe add a rotational big to give us some more depth.

That issue is on the HC and the coaching staff. That is a highlight of their failure to develop and prepare the team for the tournament and future situations.
Along with winning games, you have to prepare your team for various situations. Especially foul trouble.
This is the downside of being caught up in winning as you play your starters 32+ minutes per game.
Development of your bench requires 5 guys on your bench to get at least 10+ minutes a games.
Freshman need 5+ minutes per game if you want them to be sophomores.

What an insane post lol. If we played our freshmen more we would've been a 10 seed.

That issue is on the HC and the coaching staff. That is a highlight of their failure to develop and prepare the team for the tournament and future situations.
Along with winning games, you have to prepare your team for various situations. Especially foul trouble.
This is the downside of being caught up in winning as you play your starters 32+ minutes per game.
Development of your bench requires 5 guys on your bench to get at least 10+ minutes a games.
Freshman need 5+ minutes per game if you want them to be sophomores.
Miami played 8-9 guys all year and one of those was a freshman (Casey). Coach knew that he would not have another year of everyone sticking around especially the younger players.

Advertisement
Did we not just get to the Final Four for the first time in the program’s history? Whatever we are doing is working. We just ran into a UConn team that was on a historic run.
Yup we did in what is being considered a historically bad field. Thats not me saying it. That's all the sports pundits. All I've heard the last few days is how bad the final four field was and overall how bad this season was for any of the powers etc. I agree it's a lil bit salty to say that. But looking back I can't say I can argue it too much either. Kansas was not bad,same with Arizona I guess. But past that who am I leaving out? I'm sure I'm missing some. I'm not a huge basketball follower. But Kentucky,duke,Carolina,etc all basic. Bama was the one constant powerhouse this year. Bama for gods sake. I'm simply not impressed I'll agree UConn was on a great run. But you also gotta agree great run or not they simply outclassed us cause they dominated us inside and we couldn't compete. We approached them same as everyone else and our lone inside presence being omier and I suppose to a lesser extent Jordan proved they couldn't compete with similar motor guys that had size and length over them. I never understand on here how people argue this point. We simply can't compete against teams that prioritize an inside presence.

I always was under the impression that Da Lucky One was a good poster, but man the stuff I've been reading from him the last few weeks is mind numbing.

The UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI (caps for emphasis) just had an Elite 8 appearance, followed by a final four appearance where we lost to the eventual Champs, finished #3 in the poll in the country, and Co-ACC champions...and he's being critical of L and been pointing out negatives non stop the last few weeks.

Wtf am I reading right now.
Same as last year. That's not necessarily a team that's only good because of the new transfers. That's solid coaching.

Advertisement
Back