Favour Aire transferring

Advertisement
How many "misses" in a row for UM from DC area recruiting.

The 5 star Timberlake, from vaunted DeMatha Catholic HS, Aire a 4 star big from Bishop McNamara, Chris Lykes from Gonzaga HS (not a "miss" but certainly a disappointment), and James Palmer (who eventually showed out at Nebraska, not UM). Watson, like Palmer, from St. John's in the District, is all we have left.

I would not call Aire a miss. Misses generally occur because of fans unrealistic expectations of a player.
In fairness to Aire, when he committed in October or November 2022, the height on the roster was Waardenburg, Miller and Gak I think.
So Aire commits thinking there is a great chance for me to play some minutes as a freshman.
Fast forward to March 2022, Miller, Waardenburg and Gak depart then Miami adds Omier.
I am not against adding Omier as it was the right move. The problem is that Aire only plays in 14 of 37 games.
At worse, Aire probably knew he wasn't going to start but I am sure he felt he should have played some minutes in every games.
This is now the adverse affect of the transfer portal. Any freshman you want to be part of your program MUST play as a freshman.
At least 5 to 10 minutes a game.
Poplar is an outlier that doesn't make any sense.
Poplar went from a similar situation as Aire to a full time starter.
I don't ever remember anyone making that big of a jump in one year.
Bottom line is kids want to play.

Cant blame him and its not bad, I dont understand how we dont have any bench AND no scholarships. Cant be having one guy be your whole big rotation, lol..

Advertisement
I would not call Aire a miss. Misses generally occur because of fans unrealistic expectations of a player.
In fairness to Aire, when he committed in October or November 2022, the height on the roster was Waardenburg, Miller and Gak I think.
So Aire commits thinking there is a great chance for me to play some minutes as a freshman.
Fast forward to March 2022, Miller, Waardenburg and Gak depart then Miami adds Omier.
I am not against adding Omier as it was the right move. The problem is that Aire only plays in 14 of 37 games.
At worse, Aire probably knew he wasn't going to start but I am sure he felt he should have played some minutes in every games.
This is now the adverse affect of the transfer portal. Any freshman you want to be part of your program MUST play as a freshman.
We had ONE big and we spent ALL tourney hoping he didnt pick up fouls, thats basically telling buddy you cant play not even one minute here, lol.. Or thats how he took it..

Think Poplar played a good bit more as a Frosh than Aire did, albeit not all that well. With Omier our only inside presence this season, Walker, Aire and/or Casey had a real chance to fill the void. None came close, Walker on the court, Aire apparently unimpressive in practice, and Casey either injured or showing he also wasn't ready.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The scholarship guys that didn't play ran the scout team. Still key to a successful team but I understand why they're transferring.

Smart move. He didn’t even move that well in games. He is prob more of a northeastern low d1 guy. Like a Fordham or La Salle.

I think aside from our one commit we will end up with 2-3 more spots to fill. It was a great run but D1 sports are about winning. Sometimes tough decisions have to be made.

Advertisement
I'm just hoping Casey and Watson stay. I'm cool with Aire, Jovanovich, and possibly guys like Walker and Robinson looking elsewhere
Thing abt Walker is he seems to be a lockeroom glue guy for the culture that I like, but we can’t continue to play him. Bro is a liability out there, with the season we had, we need to upgrade. I can’t see him staying if we slash his minutes

Edit: also hope Casey/ Watson stay

Advertisement
Back