Favorite Hurricane ROAD games you've attended?

Miami vs Arkansas, '86, place was intimidating as ****, but not for the payers.
Also '88 vs LSU, to say their fans were ****ed off at the beat down would be an understatement. It was a night game and one of the few places I was uneasy walking out of.

Advertisement
2002 Rose Bowl, because it was for all the marbles.
2001 Sugar Bowl, because the game was always in control and our team showed the world who should have been in the Orange Bowl. And it was funny seeing people walk around the stadium carrying 1/5ths of their preferred alcohol showing no effort to hide it whatsoever. And without planning it I ended up at the team's hotel after the game and Clinton signed my shirt. The one I was wearing because I didn't have anything for him to sign. I pulled the bottom of my shirt out to try to make it straight for him to sign, and about 3 times he said, "put it dow mane". Took me 3 times to understand what he was saying. He wanted me to stop holding it out because I was pulling the shirt away from my chest, and he needed that to push down on to be able to sign it. It was funny.

Hated the game, but in the lobby of the team hotel at the Independence Bowl Duke took a picture with my 2 boys. After thanking him for the picture, which he seemed happy to do by the way (such nice guy), I told him, "Duke, it would make you uncomfortable if you knew how much I loved you." He laughed, thankfully. My wife told me not to do that again. Said it comes off weird, not funny like I think it is.

@ FSU, 2007

Close game, Wright gets knocked out in the fourth. So Freeman comes out, looking scared and jittery, more ***** than steer, you know. But right before getting absolutely CRUSHED, he delivers a dime to Epps for the go-ahead touchdown, with less than two minutes on the clock. The hit Freeman took was so hard it knocked the U tattoo right off his back, true story! Then, to add insult to injury, we force a fumble on FSU's pray-for-me drive, and I think it was C. McCarthy who scooped and scored.

I was in the Miami student section at Doak, and we sang "Hey, Hey Goodbye" at the top of our lungs to the thousands of slack jawed FSU fans who filed out of the stadium with their middle fingers up but their heads down.

It was glorious.

Hoping about two months from now in Trailerhassee there will be another one at the top ...

In the meantime, these are the best two for me:

Oct. 11, 2003 in Tally
Canes 22, Semenholes 14: A soggy mud-bath. Miami was up 19-0 at halftime in the Top 5 showdown and Free Shoes was done for. Oh yeah. UM was a touchdown underdog (?!) despite coming to Dork Campbell with a 37-game regular-season winning streak. "**** right we took it personally," Sean Taylor said. LOL, Canes back then never had trouble finding motivation.

Nov. 29, 1980 in Gaynesville
Canes 31, Gayturds 7: Us middle-aged and older Canes will remember this game for Schnellenberger ordering a last-second field goal because UFelony fans were behaving like the sorry losers they were/are, throwing tangerines and ice at UM's bench in frustration. I just heard about that part, though, since I was the only one in my family who wanted to stick around until the end instead of driving home to Daytona. Fun fact: Jim Kelly wore a T-shirt 2 years later for an ABC TV interview that read: Gators Eat Boogers.

Nice topic OP. It's cool to read everyone's stories. I'm in CA, never been to a game. Unfortunately, I was out of the state when Miami played Cal (my alma mater) in a bowl game. I was rooting for Miami, but Jahvid Best ran all over them...and I mean all over.

Canes at Vols

They had a long run on the first series and 100k erupted. Loudest stadium I had ever heard, and I was at OB for plenty. We then stomped em like a gnark at a biker rally, 26-3. The crowd was actually very nice and drank with us.

Was going to post the same, but you did an excellent job. As a lifelong Canes fan and a UTK alumnus it was great to be at a packed Neyland Stadium cheering for my Canes. The local media was very complimentary.

I was also at the rain-soaked FSU game. Plastic raincoats were useless. Flew back in IMC all the way until breaking out in Tampa on a beautiful moon with cold wet shoes and pants wearing the t-shirt purchased from the FBO. Guys in back were sh*tfaced drinking and pi**ing into a bottle.

Advertisement
Canes at Vols

They had a long run on the first series and 100k erupted. Loudest stadium I had ever heard, and I was at OB for plenty. We then stomped em like a gnark at a biker rally, 26-3. The crowd was actually very nice and drank with us.

The ones I was around were ********. They called the cops on me.

Haven't been to too many big time road games, but some of the more memorable ones:

Syr 93/94: I haven't been to Tally or GVille for a game, but the Cuse game was hostile. fights everywhere. Loud mouthed kid everywhere.
PSU 01: annoying rednecks but it was cool watching a game there
Tenn 02: Amazing gameday environment. Not for nothing but those were the nicest big time college fans I've ever come across. There's tailgating on the river.
ND 16: Cotdang I hate that team and school but as far as environment goes, nobody does it better.

If we are counting bowl games I was at the orange bowl game at Joe Robbie where ST26 got the int in the first quarter and big Vince leveled Greg Jones in 2004. Beating FSU 2 times that year was a great feeling.

Advertisement
@ FSU, 2007

Close game, Wright gets knocked out in the fourth. So Freeman comes out, looking scared and jittery, more ***** than steer, you know. But right before getting absolutely CRUSHED, he delivers a dime to Epps for the go-ahead touchdown, with less than two minutes on the clock. The hit Freeman took was so hard it knocked the U tattoo right off his back, true story! Then, to add insult to injury, we force a fumble on FSU's pray-for-me drive, and I think it was C. McCarthy who scooped and scored.

I was in the Miami student section at Doak, and we sang "Hey, Hey Goodbye" at the top of our lungs to the thousands of slack jawed FSU fans who filed out of the stadium with their middle fingers up but their heads down.

It was glorious.

Until the rest of 2007 happened...

Hoping about two months from now in Trailerhassee there will be another one at the top ...

In the meantime, these are the best two for me:

Oct. 11, 2003 in Tally
Canes 22, Semenholes 14: A soggy mud-bath. Miami was up 19-0 at halftime in the Top 5 showdown and Free Shoes was done for. Oh yeah. UM was a touchdown underdog (?!) despite coming to Dork Campbell with a 37-game regular-season winning streak. "**** right we took it personally," Sean Taylor said. LOL, Canes back then never had trouble finding motivation.

Nov. 29, 1980 in Gaynesville
Canes 31, Gayturds 7: Us middle-aged and older Canes will remember this game for Schnellenberger ordering a last-second field goal because UFelony fans were behaving like the sorry losers they were/are, throwing tangerines and ice at UM's bench in frustration. I just heard about that part, though, since I was the only one in my family who wanted to stick around until the end instead of driving home to Daytona. Fun fact: Jim Kelly wore a T-shirt 2 years later for an ABC TV interview that read: Gators Eat Boogers.

proxy.php

Advertisement
2009 at Doak was my favorite, Jacory to Benjamin, just a stellar back and forth matchup that went down to the last play.

Mines too. I will never forget how crunk fsu was when they went up, then how they went silent after the Travis B TD, or how you could hear a pin drop in the stadium during the review of the last play while I'm going nuts cause I knew it wasn't a catch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i've never seen a stadium clear so fast after a game.

If it wasn't for Greg Reid, that game wouldn't have been close. Coop had some big returns for us that game too....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ Beaver Stadium, 1992.

I was only 10 but I remember them playing Public Enemy over the sound system. Barrow still says it made them feel like they were at home. My uncle was able to get us on the field prior to the game and Gino saw me wearing my Cane's sweats, ran by and gave me a high-five on his way through the tunnel. PSU's kicker missed 2 FG's that day and we won 17-14.

Runner-up would be @ College Park 2011, only bc it was Fat Al's first game, so he was one game closer to being fired.

One of my favorites.
Krien had a big INT that game.
Played FSU the week prior.
I want to know why was the ash hole PSU cheerleader guy allowed to scream into the mike while Gino was barking signals??

Last edited:
2002 UF game - destruction of Rex Grossman.

2003 FSU Soak at Doak - Sean Taylor's House Party

Advertisement
Haven't been to too many big time road games, but some of the more memorable ones:

Syr 93/94: I haven't been to Tally or GVille for a game, but the Cuse game was hostile. fights everywhere. Loud mouthed kid everywhere.
PSU 01: annoying rednecks but it was cool watching a game there
Tenn 02: Amazing gameday environment. Not for nothing but those were the nicest big time college fans I've ever come across. There's tailgating on the river.
ND 16: Cotdang I hate that team and school but as far as environment goes, nobody does it better.

Was up at 'Cuse for the '92 game.
The drunken frat rats in the end-zone had me singled out as THE Cane fan due for a good beatin.
I made it out unscathed as I was a half-section closer to the exits than those guys.

Man. I gotta go to a game vs FSU. Already saw Notre Dame (see above).

I see Ohio Taint enough with the gophers.

But not being in Miami (about as far away as possible) sucks.

Been toyin around with buying a "retirement" condo down there just to have an extra reason to go and see the games. I haven't missed a game for a long time tho on Tv. Sometimes streaming. I give away my gopher season tix if Miami is playing at the same time.

I live in VA and went to my first Miami n FSU game this past year and it was the greatest experience of my life .... I will go to every single Miami n FSU game for the rest of my life

2001 Rose Bowl National Championship win over Nebraska.
1990 close win over San Diego State.

The only two Canes games I've attended. I live in Los Angeles.

Advertisement
Back