Fast break offense is back. Richt wants to go uptempo

As long as we do not do that "check with me" crap. That just makes "fast" slow anyway. Brad should be perfect with Mark for this. Good brain.

I would argue the check w me crap allowed for defenses to adjust to us, which is why we consistently bombed in the 2nd half of games. Golden was willing to sacrifice a good offense to cover over his inefficient base defense. That's y it still angered me when he tried to sell that 13th ranked total defense while negating to mention how porous we were on 3rd down efficiency, ypg against P5 teams that were .500 and above to end to the season, plays against per game, sack total on the season, TFL on the season....(my bad, I'm reliving the Golden years again)

Thank God for Richt.

Advertisement
If true it's the best news we've heard in a long time. Exhaust opponents,and take advantage of your biggest strengths--a Heisman caliber QB and enormous pass catching talent.

Somewhere along the way under Butch David our fans became convinced that UM should be a power based team that slows the game down and pounds the run. That's not really playing to our recruiting strength any more than Folden's fat slow reactionary defense played to our strengths.

I'd be sick to my stomach to see Richt go out there with a Heisman QB and try to take the fcking air out of the ball. He'd be showing me right away that he doesn't really get what this program should be about.

Do you see Clemson taking the air out of the ball with Watson? Time for UM to quit playing scared and trying to grind out 3 point wins and sneak out the back door.

I still think we are going to see a power based team concept just at a much faster pace! Also, Richt is smart enough to exploit defenses and take advantage of weaknesses. I bet we will run right around 50/50 but from various formations and personnel. I am so excited for Saturday. Haven't been this stoked since 2009 when there was all the hype coming from the 2008 class.

As long as we do not do that "check with me" crap. That just makes "fast" slow anyway. Brad should be perfect with Mark for this. Good brain.

I would argue the check w me crap allowed for defenses to adjust to us, which is why we consistently bombed in the 2nd half of games. Golden was willing to sacrifice a good offense to cover over his inefficient base defense. That's y it still angered me when he tried to sell that 13th ranked total defense while negating to mention how porous we were on 3rd down efficiency, ypg against P5 teams that were .500 and above to end to the season, plays against per game, sack total on the season, TFL on the season....(my bad, I'm reliving the Golden years again)

Thank God for Richt.

We have all become addicted to complaining. Heck, I just realized last night that the first game of our newest chance to return to glory is just a couple days away. We have a actual real HC for the first time since Butch, a real Miami level QB for the first time since Ken,(I love Brock but he sucked under center and that is what we are), and a possible return to our old defensive style!!!!! I was a BBB but Mark might be the closest thing to Howard we could have gotten and another Howard is probably what we need -- it has gotten almost that bad. It all begins three days.

If true it's the best news we've heard in a long time. Exhaust opponents,and take advantage of your biggest strengths--a Heisman caliber QB and enormous pass catching talent.

Somewhere along the way under Butch David our fans became convinced that UM should be a power based team that slows the game down and pounds the run. That's not really playing to our recruiting strength any more than Folden's fat slow reactionary defense played to our strengths.

I'd be sick to my stomach to see Richt go out there with a Heisman QB and try to take the fcking air out of the ball. He'd be showing me right away that he doesn't really get what this program should be about.

Do you see Clemson taking the air out of the ball with Watson? Time for UM to quit playing scared and trying to grind out 3 point wins and sneak out the back door.

The "pound the rock" crew has always mystified me.
They're idiots who grew up listening to too many John Madden/Matt Millen attempts to glorify the plodding white FB with the bloody forehead, missing front teeth and slurred CTE speech. They're generally pencil-necked sissies or bloated diabetic slobs, who get winded lifting their beer cans and talk in manly cliches about football like "slobber knockers," to make themselves feel less inferior.

LMAO!

The way this program made a name for itself was using its speed and athleticism, the defining attributes of our natural recruiting base along with innovative cutting edge passing concepts to run train on the cliche ridden "3 yards and a cloud of dust" college football establishment.

After the local kids realized that UM was going to play the game aggressively, we became a very desirable program for south Florida and other elite talent. Naturally the defense rose to prominence once we started attracting those elite athletes. An innovative passing offense is what got it all started.

Advertisement

I still think we are going to see a power based team concept just at a much faster pace! Also, Richt is smart enough to exploit defenses and take advantage of weaknesses. I bet we will run right around 50/50 but from various formations and personnel. I am so excited for Saturday. Haven't been this stoked since 2009 when there was all the hype coming from the 2008 class.

I'm all for running the football. But when your strength is your QB and your receivers you'd be an absolute buffoon to line up in tight formations with a FB and 2 WRs more than 8 or 9 times per game. You need to threaten a defense with your strength and make them fear people running by them.

Baylor hung 600 yards rushing on the UNC team that humiliated last year. They did that through spreading them out and exploiting gaping holes and with speed. You let an inferior slow defense like UNC play you in a phone booth, and they can stop you like they did us.

They're idiots who grew up listening to too many John Madden/Matt Millen attempts to glorify the plodding white FB with the bloody forehead, missing front teeth and slurred CTE speech. They're generally pencil-necked sissies or bloated diabetic slobs, who get winded lifting their beer cans and talk in manly cliches about football like "slobber knockers," to make themselves feel less inferior.

To be fair, Bama has won the last 3 out of 4 pounding the rock.

To be fair, Bama has won the last 3 out of 4 pounding the rock.
To be fair, Bama has the best HC in the history of college football, who almost never allows his team to sag mentally and take any opponent lightly, and the number 1 recruiting class every year. They can win by just lining their guys up and beating everyone one on one.

How'd that philosophy translate to UF with Muscrap? How'd it work for Chizik at Auburn when he tried to out-Saban Saban after Malzahn left?

Advertisement
To be fair, Bama has the best HC in the history of college football, who almost never allows his team to sag mentally and take any opponent lightly, and the number 1 recruiting class every year. They can win by just lining their guys up and beating everyone one on one.

How'd that philosophy translate to UF with Muscrap? How'd it work for Chizik at Auburn when he tried to out-Saban Saban after Malzahn left?

Saban (distant relative of Miami's Lou Saban btw) is certainly one of the best NCAA HCs. He is also one of the best program resourced HCs too...an advantage for sure. Would be great to see an in-their-prime Johnson vs Saban matchup.

Bama is doing to their opponents what Miami did to theirs in the 80s--expolit capabilities gaps.

In the 80s, Miami used a "fast attack" style athlete on both sides of the ball to wreck the schemes of the legacy Big 8/SWC/SEC/et al that used bigger, slower, and more plodding athletes. Most of the time, Miami's superior pace jumped on those teams early bith in the O and D, and they just couldnt catch up. That type of dismantling was really on display in Miami's win over UT in the Cotton Bowl.

Now fast forward to today's game. Saban is using bigger athletes, who are just fast enough, to pound the spread and/or "fast attack" teams into submission. His teams don't let the opponent get the upper hand, and by 3Q, the sheer size and pounding Bama puts in the driver's seat.

Its just the natural cycle. Other teams copied or schemed ways to beat the dominant Hurricane squads, so too will teams do the same to today's Bama.

Saban has lightning in a bottle right now, but everyone has their hammers out looking to smash it.

So many have tried to copy the greats (the list is loooonnngg), but that is really their fatal flaw. When they copy, they stop being who they are and often then get exposed to frauds.

The greats are always informed by the other greats, but in the end, they always do it their own way.

FAST BREAK OFFENSE!!!!

That's just what we need with a completely gutted defense

Yeah let's slow everything to a crawl to protect the defense. Worked great for Folden. Let's do what he did.

I'm not advocating either extreme of offensive play speed

I'd argue that an "up-tempo" offense - or rather, an offense that wants to INCREASE its plays-per-game - should strive to keep its own defense OFF the field for as long as possible.

Where we've run into problems under Coley is that the offense was very much "feast or famine." We'd either score in 12 seconds or be off the field in 2 minutes. Richt's concepts - both run and pass - are designed with longer drives in mind. This doesn't mean he's going to run it up the middle and huddle for 20 seconds either, though. Think quick drops in the passing game, quick-developing zone runs, and a faster tempo play-to play. That's how you get to 75-80 plays per game.

So in this case I believe that more plays/game is actually going to protect our defense (ideally.)

Call me crazy, but here's another example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eViEvsFkGcY

So, I teach at JSU and my wife is an NDSU alum so we actually watched this game and I followed both teams throughout the season.

I actually think that NDSU under Wentz is very similar to what we'll see Richt do at Miami. The Cliff's Notes version of that game:

- NDSU ran 82 plays (51 rush, 31 pass)
- Their offense is "pro-style" in the same way that Richt's is - no fancy formations, just lots of I form, single back, and shotgun 3-4-5 WR with motion
- They established the run very early and wore down JSU's defense, taking their speed advantage away completely and by halftime it was 24-0
- They moved at a very quick tempo (hence the 82 plays) but not always no-huddle or hurry-up
- Even the run (zone) and pass (shallow cross) concepts are similar to Richt's

FAST BREAK OFFENSE!!!!

Yeah let's slow everything to a crawl to protect the defense. Worked great for Folden. Let's do what he did.

I'd argue that an "up-tempo" offense - or rather, an offense that wants to INCREASE its plays-per-game - should strive to keep its own defense OFF the field for as long as possible.

Where we've run into problems under Coley is that the offense was very much "feast or famine." We'd either score in 12 seconds or be off the field in 2 minutes. Richt's concepts - both run and pass - are designed with longer drives in mind. This doesn't mean he's going to run it up the middle and huddle for 20 seconds either, though. Think quick drops in the passing game, quick-developing zone runs, and a faster tempo play-to play. That's how you get to 75-80 plays per game.

So in this case I believe that more plays/game is actually going to protect our defense (ideally.)

I concur with that and completely agree with your assessment of Corleys offenses.

Fast tempo does not always equal more offensive plays per game. A high 3rd down conversion rate usually does. And a high 3rd down conversion rate usually goes hand in hand with 1st down success and cutting down penalties on offense (which I am confident CMR will make happen)

Advertisement
FAST BREAK OFFENSE!!!!

I concur with that and completely agree with your assessment of Corleys offenses.

Fast tempo does not always equal more offensive plays per game. A high 3rd down conversion rate usually does. And a high 3rd down conversion rate usually goes hand in hand with 1st down success and cutting down penalties on offense (which I am confident CMR will make happen)

spot on.

Thank God for Richt.

I don't necessarily think the check with me stuff is a bad idea for inexperienced QBs - it's kind of like training wheels aimed to help a young kid. But, that stuff should have stopped Kayaa's second year - he was seasoned enough not to need that junk imo

Most of the play-calling won’t come Saturdays. During the week, he’ll set up a section on his play sheet for his favorite personnel groupings, favorite formations and a section for " dudes, guys who are ballers and playmakers who I got to have some plays for. " Richt might script as many as 10 series, often times the first five plays with a handful of third-down options depending on the distance.

Richt has a section in his playbook for Ballers.

they were called cheeseburgers in grohldens magna carta

Advertisement
We ran less than 70 plays/game last year (good for 96th place in all of CFB...) If we can get 6-8 more plays in per game that would push us to the top-30. Even 5 more ppg would put us on par with Bama, Ole Miss, Miss St., et al

That's all I've asked for and I think we're being reasonable with those expectations. Come on, man. We have a first round QB. Why run less plays? Part of it was intentional and the other part was seeming confusion. Neither is acceptable.

Page One of this thread was absolutely hysterical, after so many months removed from this board. Predictable posters somehow believing that uptempo meant quarterback and wide receiver emphasis, as if they were envisioning professional football with dainty rules and coddled passing games. You'd be foolish not to abuse the forward pass in that environment, if you have an elite guy behind center.

Page Two restored sanity, with an understanding that college football is still far above 50% rushing attempts. In fact, last season only 17 of 128 Division 1 teams threw the ball 54% of the time or higher. That number stood out to me when I entered the data in my Excel spreadsheets this offseason. I had to go back a full decade, to 2006, to find a similar number. Normally 24-28 college teams are at 54% and above. Could be a blip. We'll see. Contrast to the NFL, where 27 of 32 teams last season were at 54% or above. That is the high water mark. It's been trending upward but never reached 26 or 27 until last year. I pointed out early last season that Tim Reynolds and other geniuses seemingly had no clue that passing had not overtaken the college game, similar to the pros. They detected one trend and attached it everywhere. Brilliant.

Kudos to those astute posters on Page Two. Lethal college football in this era can be described as, "Hurry up and run the ball." That's what Baylor did towards 600+ rushing yards in the bowl against North Carolina, and it's the staple of Oregon and Auburn, among others.

And it's indeed not much more than pounding the rock. Basic plays with tempo and tons of window dressing. The tempo and window dressing often mask how simple the plays are. Normal straight ahead handoffs and blocking schemes. Some of the sharper analysts on the major networks finally got around to pointing that out a few years ago. If you look at the condensed area alone it can still pass for the mid '60s, other than somewhat wider splits among the offensive linemen. Only the jet sweep action and other distracting motion on the flanks and among other backs contributes to spacing the field, along with exhaustion/confusion due to tempo.

The key, of course, is to utilize tempo and the benefits of high volume spreadish rushing attempts while not self-condemning toward cupcake frailty. That's Richt's challenge. Oregon managed to blow a 31-0 lead against a backup quarterback last season in the bowl game against TCU. It was comical. When they needed to be physical it wasn't there. The basic formations weren't there, nor the understanding that not every play had to be run within 14 seconds, when that pace worked against you.

The North Dakota State example was excellent. I was frankly shocked to see it here. I was planning to mention that team, since I bet so many of their games. It's an extremely quarterback friendly system, enabling Wentz to miss significant time without noticeable slide. That team smartly varies formations and tempo due to situation and field position, and not stubbornly married to spread style only, a la Oregon, Baylor, Auburn and pathetic others. North Dakota State generally runs the ball 40-50 times per game and passes 20-30. That's partially enabled due to manpower advantage, one the Canes do not currently enjoy. Still, it's an effective blueprint, and accompanied by creative route schemes. Too often in recent seasons we've been stuck at 10 or 12 rushing attempts at halftime, as I've pointed out. You are forfeiting margin for error and win expectancy.

I don't expect wild airborne formations or frenzied pace. That's not Richt's history, nor seemingly his style. Familiar formations, often blue collar. Faster while retaining strong. Or should I say, restoring strong. Last season was the most disgusting in memory, and I've followed the Canes since boyhood in the Ted Hendricks era, #89 at left defensive end. James Coley somehow brainstormed we needed flatfooted handoffs from the shotgun despite having a quarterback who was less of a running threat than a blue postal box.

It peaked disgraceful at Cincinnati on Thursday night. I attended that game. The opponent was lean but hyper. A couple of stout interior linemen, but not troublesome. Not if we asserted ourselves. Utilize old man football, to borrow Sheldon Richardson's term, and they'll buckle. Like late 4th quarter at North Carolina on a Thursday night in 2013. Instead, it was 60 minutes of sickening finesse. We failed and deserved to fail. Months later the one bowl I savored above all -- for betting purposes and rightful normalcy -- was San Diego State trampling that same Cincinnati team, 42-7. Rocky Long ran smack at the Bearcats 52 times in glorious power sets. Cincinnati was hopeless to stop anything.

My confidence in the Richt hire is he'll understand when to apply that style, to force the opponent to prove it can withstand straight ahead power plays. Saban is wonderful at that. After the surprise loss to Manziel and Texas A&M a few years ago he has rationalized that Sumlin and A&M will make their share of plays on offense, but it won't be enough as long as he wears them out up the gut, and finds a turnover or stop on downs here and there.

First challenge is at Appalachian State. I've been to Boone countless times, albeit not for a football game. That opponent will be similarly lean and hyper. The odds, at least of now, won't be overwhelming in Miami's favor. We might be a 7-13 point favorite, something in that range. Certainly a risk, an unknown, the type of thing the Gators have avoided for a quarter century. I don't know what our tempo will look like but I'm **** sure we won't abuse bubble screens and similarly ridiculous flares toward the sideline while enabling an overmatched roster to soar in confidence and thrive at our wimpy expense.

Page One of this thread was absolutely hysterical, after so many months removed from this board. Predictable posters somehow believing that uptempo meant quarterback and wide receiver emphasis, as if they were envisioning professional football with dainty rules and coddled passing games. You'd be foolish not to abuse the forward pass in that environment, if you have an elite guy behind center.

Page Two restored sanity, with an understanding that college football is still far above 50% rushing attempts. In fact, last season only 17 of 128 Division 1 teams threw the ball 54% of the time or higher. That number stood out to me when I entered the data in my Excel spreadsheets this offseason. I had to go back a full decade, to 2006, to find a similar number. Normally 24-28 college teams are at 54% and above. Could be a blip. We'll see. Contrast to the NFL, where 27 of 32 teams last season were at 54% or above. That is the high water mark. It's been trending upward but never reached 26 or 27 until last year. I pointed out early last season that Tim Reynolds and other geniuses seemingly had no clue that passing had not overtaken the college game, similar to the pros. They detected one trend and attached it everywhere. Brilliant.

Kudos to those astute posters on Page Two. Lethal college football in this era can be described as, "Hurry up and run the ball." That's what Baylor did towards 600+ rushing yards in the bowl against North Carolina, and it's the staple of Oregon and Auburn, among others.

And it's indeed not much more than pounding the rock. Basic plays with tempo and tons of window dressing. The tempo and window dressing often mask how simple the plays are. Normal straight ahead handoffs and blocking schemes. Some of the sharper analysts on the major networks finally got around to pointing that out a few years ago. If you look at the condensed area alone it can still pass for the mid '60s, other than somewhat wider splits among the offensive linemen. Only the jet sweep action and other distracting motion on the flanks and among other backs contributes to spacing the field, along with exhaustion/confusion due to tempo.

The key, of course, is to utilize tempo and the benefits of high volume spreadish rushing attempts while not self-condemning toward cupcake frailty. That's Richt's challenge. Oregon managed to blow a 31-0 lead against a backup quarterback last season in the bowl game against TCU. It was comical. When they needed to be physical it wasn't there. The basic formations weren't there, nor the understanding that not every play had to be run within 14 seconds, when that pace worked against you.

The North Dakota State example was excellent. I was frankly shocked to see it here. I was planning to mention that team, since I bet so many of their games. It's an extremely quarterback friendly system, enabling Wentz to miss significant time without noticeable slide. That team smartly varies formations and tempo due to situation and field position, and not stubbornly married to spread style only, a la Oregon, Baylor, Auburn and pathetic others. North Dakota State generally runs the ball 40-50 times per game and passes 20-30. That's partially enabled due to manpower advantage, one the Canes do not currently enjoy. Still, it's an effective blueprint, and accompanied by creative route schemes. Too often in recent seasons we've been stuck at 10 or 12 rushing attempts at halftime, as I've pointed out. You are forfeiting margin for error and win expectancy.

I don't expect wild airborne formations or frenzied pace. That's not Richt's history, nor seemingly his style. Familiar formations, often blue collar. Faster while retaining strong. Or should I say, restoring strong. Last season was the most disgusting in memory, and I've followed the Canes since boyhood in the Ted Hendricks era, #89 at left defensive end. James Coley somehow brainstormed we needed flatfooted handoffs from the shotgun despite having a quarterback who was less of a running threat than a blue postal box.

It peaked disgraceful at Cincinnati on Thursday night. I attended that game. The opponent was lean but hyper. A couple of stout interior linemen, but not troublesome. Not if we asserted ourselves. Utilize old man football, to borrow Sheldon Richardson's term, and they'll buckle. Like late 4th quarter at North Carolina on a Thursday night in 2013. Instead, it was 60 minutes of sickening finesse. We failed and deserved to fail. Months later the one bowl I savored above all -- for betting purposes and rightful normalcy -- was San Diego State trampling that same Cincinnati team, 42-7. Rocky Long ran smack at the Bearcats 52 times in glorious power sets. Cincinnati was hopeless to stop anything.

My confidence in the Richt hire is he'll understand when to apply that style, to force the opponent to prove it can withstand straight ahead power plays. Saban is wonderful at that. After the surprise loss to Manziel and Texas A&M a few years ago he has rationalized that Sumlin and A&M will make their share of plays on offense, but it won't be enough as long as he wears them out up the gut, and finds a turnover or stop on downs here and there.

First challenge is at Appalachian State. I've been to Boone countless times, albeit not for a football game. That opponent will be similarly lean and hyper. The odds, at least of now, won't be overwhelming in Miami's favor. We might be a 7-13 point favorite, something in that range. Certainly a risk, an unknown, the type of thing the Gators have avoided for a quarter century. I don't know what our tempo will look like but I'm **** sure we won't abuse bubble screens and similarly ridiculous flares toward the sideline while enabling an overmatched roster to soar in confidence and thrive at our wimpy expense.

Best post today.

A few posters on here, however, will confuse your facts with their reality.

blather blather blather blather blather 3rd down screen passes blather blather blather

Best post today.

A few posters on here, however, will confuse your facts with their reality.

tom-cruise-laughing-hysterically_48.gif

Advertisement
Back